Posted to rec.woodworking
John S[_5_] John S[_5_] is offline

Default Speaking of miter saws,,,

"Leon" wrote in message

On 3/6/2018 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to
avoid confusion.

But zero angle, is no angle. 90 is a square cut across the fence.

Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of
the board. It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15
degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees. Yeah, I know, who can't
mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

If you asked some one to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of a board he
would have to place the board perpendicular to the fence. Miter saws are
not designed to cut angles much less than 50~60 degrees.

Make that much less than 45~30 degrees. Now I am getting confused. LOL

My guess is that whoever designed the first popular miter saw thought it was
a good idea
for the scale to show the angle versus the blade. Then following
manufacturers just copied
the successful model.

This made me curious about how miter gauges are marked. The one that came
with my
table saw has a 0 center like the miter saw. Another (almost a toy) that
came with a model making saw
has 90 degree in the center. Finally the best of all of them, a high end
Incra sled, has dual markings with
both a 0 and a 90 centered scale.
John