Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

On 3/16/2018 8:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:50:32 -0500,
(Jerry
Osage) wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:59:32 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:44:15 -0500,
(Jerry
Osage) wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 18:32:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Comparing HF to Festool in just about anyway is just stupid. One is a tool designed and manufactured to the highest tolerances for dedicated woodworkers or exacting professionals, and one is a utility tool that fits a certain need. I have never heard of a professional saying, "man, one day I would really like to have one of those HF miter saws".

I fail to understand all the animosity for Festool unless it boils down
to: "I can't afford them therefore I will disparage them."

By Jove! I think he's got it!

The best I can tell from reading here and talking to owner/users of
Festool tools they have no complaints except perhaps for the initial
cost.

I earned a long time back that when you buy the best, you only cry
once.

If I was 40 years younger, and setting up a woodworking hobby shop my
go-to brand would be Festool. And, 40 years later the tools might be
antiquated but I'd be willing to bet that they would still be working -
and, if not, Festool would be happy to repair them...

I'm not 40 years younger (I couldn't afford them 40 years ago) but I
bought mine because they had something to offer that I wanted more
than the cash.

My father, and his brothers, were cabinet makers. Other relatives were
carpenters/house builders. I was pretty well versed in cabinet making.
However. perhaps because of the experience I wanted a job where I wore a
suit and spent a lot of time behind a desk. Then go home and garden and
make sawdust

I never wanted to take it beyond a hobby - however I wanted quality
tools. Cry once and get on with it. "How do you justify all this stuff?"
"I wanted it, we could afford it, and my wife said OK - that's all the
justification I needed."

Exactly. Hobbies don't need justification beyond "because I want it".
Of course, there are priorities. SWMBO gives me a ration about "green
stuff" but really doesn't care. We were at Highland today (it's my
lollypop after the doc does his thing - it's a mile or two from the
hospital) and I was eyeing a $3K lathe, just to pump her up a bit. She
just said, no problem, but reminded me that I couldn't lift more than
10lbs. There's always next time. ;-)

Wait till you have your wife trained so that she does the buying. LOL.
Mine was instrumental in obtaining the Festool drill set, the FMT work
table, Kapex, and IIRC the last sander. But then again I have
encouraged her to invested as much if not more in her upstairs quilting
studio as I do in the shop. She has a certain robotic quilting long arm
machine that is beginning to pay for it self.

The only complaints I see or hear about Festool tools - from Festool
owners - is the price. Never once have I heard: "It's a crappy tool, it
does crappy work, repeatability sucks, and it is always breaking down."

I did hear some grumbles on FOG about Kapex failures but that's about
it.

What I hear is: "they are great tools and they are expensive, however,
if you have the coin and can justify spending it, you'll be glad you
did. And I agree.

Yep. I couldn't believe how well the Rotex worked. Every sander,
including a Bosch, that I've bought has turned out to be a major PITA.
Not the Festools. Leon sure hooked a fish here.

;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Comparing HF to Festool in just about anyway is just stupid. One is a tool designed and manufactured to the highest tolerances for dedicated woodworkers or exacting professionals, and one is a utility tool that fits a certain need. I have never heard of a professional saying, "man, one day I would really like to have one of those HF miter saws".

I fail to understand all the animosity for Festool unless it boils down
to: "I can't afford them therefore I will disparage them."

You hit the nail on the head.

Although there are valid reasons for not buying Festool other than not
being able to afford them. Nailshooter has a very valid concern of the
tools walking off from the job site or a worker treating it like it was
an inexpensive and easy to replace tool.

Very true. If I was in the business I would not consider Festool tools
as job site tools. Considering the risks there are better alternatives
available - perhaps even HF... Even those tools are likely to grow legs
if left unattended.
--

Jerry O.