Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood ID help?

Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches wide, and the photo
probably shows between 7 and 8.

The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out oaks).

It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and surprisingly lightweight -- suggestive
of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is definitely not right, for that.
Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.

I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less local origin -- it's
been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years. Likely to be from
somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.

Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches wide, and the photo
probably shows between 7 and 8.

The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out oaks).

It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and surprisingly lightweight -- suggestive
of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is definitely not right, for that.
Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.

I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less local origin -- it's
been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years. Likely to be from
somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.

Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

Looks like chinaberry, but not sure if it grows there.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 04:46:15 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches wide, and the photo
probably shows between 7 and 8.
The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out oaks).
It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and surprisingly lightweight -- suggestive
of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is definitely not right, for that.
Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.
I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less local origin -- it's
been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years. Likely to be from
somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.
Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

.... from this site ?

http://www.wood-database.com/coffeetree/

The 10 x end grain close-up photos are neat.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:46:18 PM UTC-6, Doug Miller wrote:
Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches wide, and the photo
probably shows between 7 and 8.

The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out oaks).

It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and surprisingly lightweight -- suggestive
of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is definitely not right, for that.
Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.

I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less local origin -- it's
been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years. Likely to be from
somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.

Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

When in doubt, and really wanting to know, send a bit to the Forest Products Lab in Wi. It will take them a bit to get and answer back, but you will know exactly what you are dealing with. Reclaim some of your tax dollars, because its a "free" service.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/contact/index.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It looks like ash to me... with perhaps some mineral or other staining on
the left (e.g., embedded metal). I've been felling and milling quite a bit
of ash the past few years and I've run into staining in some of the logs.
The grain varies depending on its orientation in the log when cut...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
news
[...]

I guess I should have mentioned that there was a strong light over my left shoulder when I
took the photo. That "discoloration" on the left is actually the shadow of the stack of boards
to the left of the mystery wood.

I still don't think it's ash -- it looks too yellow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote in news:27925409.540278629.491935.lcb11211-
:

Doug Miller wrote:
Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

[...]
Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

Ash

Maybe... but I don't think so. It's much yellower than any ash I've ever seen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2018 7:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
news
[...]

This is all ash. The drawer fronts are solid ash, the top yellowish
panel is ash veneer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

[...]
Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

Ash

Maybe... but I don't think so. It's much yellower than any ash I've ever seen.

Take a look at my response below, and the link. I have a picture of a
chest I built for my wife's sewing stuff. All natural colored wood is ash.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually from woodidentification.net, and from memory (having seen some coffeetree at a
lumberyard a few years ago).

The 10 x end grain close-up photos are neat.
John T.

Yep. So is the information -- which I missed the first time I read either site -- that coffeetree
fluoresces under blacklight. I'll have to see if I can lay my hands on a blacklight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news-WdndxlA98UQBnHnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 2/14/2018 7:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I still don't think it's ash -- it looks too yellow.

This is all ash. The drawer fronts are solid ash, the top yellowish
panel is ash veneer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nice work, Leon. Is that black ash?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

+2. I have a few hundred bf of it in the basement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2018 8:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
news
[...]

Any chance it's butternut, walnut's lighter cousin.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2018 10:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2018 8:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
news
"Doug Miller"Â* wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I take back the butternut, Osage Orange? It looks it.
http://www.wood-database.com/osage-orange/

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 22:58:29 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

Might be have some english walnut here, they grow well in southern
Illinois.

https://goo.gl/qiWNZ6 Google pictures of the type.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 23:02:15 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

Like teak Osage has a high silca content, it laughs at chain saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2018 7:41 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news-WdndxlA98UQBnHnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 2/14/2018 7:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I still don't think it's ash -- it looks too yellow.

This is all ash. The drawer fronts are solid ash, the top yellowish
panel is ash veneer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nice work, Leon. Is that black ash?

LOL, AAMOF Black and Red Ash. Good one Doug!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely not, not even close.

I'm with Leon, et al. It's ash. My experience with ash is that it is VERY
yellow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in news:Zcydnc11idT6mBjHnZ2dnUU7-
:

Any chance it's butternut, walnut's lighter cousin.

Much too hard to be butternut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

;-)

I've been carting it around the country with me for a long time[*].
It came with eight, 7-8' maple 2x10s, complete with tap holes (haven't
figured out what to do with it but it's purdy).
[*] Grown on a cow-orker's father's place in Alpena MI (*way* up on
the hand). I brought it back to NY. It followed me to Vermont, Ohio,
Alabama, and now Georgia. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/14/2018 10:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2018 8:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches
wide,

I take back the butternut, Osage Orange? It looks it.
http://www.wood-database.com/osage-orange/

Like teak Osage has a high silca content, it laughs at chain saws.

Some comments about Osage:
I think it would be rare for an osage tree to be large enough for a 9" (+?) wide board, especially of any good length. The bark doesn't look like osage, either.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...e%20orange.htm

A friend had made a shaving horse with osage, left it raw, not finished. He simply burnished it, resulting in a really smooth surface. The aged patina looked really nice, sort of turned a hint of brown, somewhat, kinna like as if it was slightly fumed.

Sonny