Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Wood ID help?

"woodchucker" wrote in message
On 2/14/2018 8:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
news
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Anybody have any idea what this is?

http://milmac.com/20180213_134524.jpg

Photo doesn't show quite the full width of the board; it's 9+ inches
wide,
and the photo
probably shows between 7 and 8.

The wood has no perceptible odor, dry or damp (which also rules out
oaks).

It's hard enough that I can't dent it with a fingernail, and
surprisingly
lightweight -- suggestive
of ash, I suppose, but the grain isn't quite right, and the color is
definitely not right, for that.
Not heavy enough for oak, and the grain isn't right, either.

I'm located in Indianapolis, and the wood is presumably of more-or-less
local origin -- it's
been sitting in the corner of a high school wood shop for many years.
Likely to be from
somewhere in the Midwest, probably central Indiana.

Kentucky coffee-tree, maybe?

It looks like ash to me... with perhaps some mineral or other staining
on
the left (e.g., embedded metal).

I guess I should have mentioned that there was a strong light over my
left shoulder when I
took the photo. That "discoloration" on the left is actually the shadow
of the stack of boards
to the left of the mystery wood.

I still don't think it's ash -- it looks too yellow.

Any chance it's butternut, walnut's lighter cousin.

Absolutely not, not even close.

I'm with Leon, et al. It's ash. My experience with ash is that it is VERY
yellow.