Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shooting Plane shootout

Given the increase in take-home pay I've noticed recently, I've decided to invest in a shooting plane. I see that both LN and LV have left-handed offerings, so I'm wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about either that may sway my purchasing decision? Although it's not completely about functionality, as my Omga miter saw with a sharp blade leaves an incredibly smooth surface, I do prefer to buy the best and only cry once. Plus I make a lot of picture frames and clients also seem impressed with traditional hand work.

JP
**********
Flush
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Given the increase in take-home pay I've noticed recently, I've decided to
invest in a shooting plane. I see that both LN and LV have left-handed
offerings, so I'm wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about either
that may sway my purchasing decision? Although it's not completely about
functionality, as my Omga miter saw with a sharp blade leaves an
incredibly smooth surface, I do prefer to buy the best and only cry once.

Plus I make a lot of picture frames and clients also seem impressed with
traditional hand work.

I've handled both at shows and they are both fine tools. That said, my
preferences run towards L-N due to their more traditional look and feel...

As an aside, I've tended to stick to basic tools that offer more versatility
than a dedicated shooting plane would. As such I use a bench plane for
shooting. I've used my L-N No 5 (sharpened as a smoother vs. a jack) and my
L-N No 7. The selection dependent upon how tall and thick and the type of
wood involved. The No 7 gets the nod for wood running towards the taller,
thicker, and/or harder end of the scale.

I recently inherited some tools... one being a Stanley No 6. I gave it a run
through electrolysis and otherwise cleaned and tuned the plane. This plane
too appears to be a good choice for shooting as it fits my world view of
what is needed for shooting. Namely, you need a plane where the sole is 90
degrees to the sides and one one that has enough mass to move smoothly
through the cut. It also needs a finely sharpened iron with little to no
curve. I anticipate trying this plane for shooting and if the iron proves
inadequate may upgrade to a Hock iron.

Anyhow, have fun choosing!

John