Jay Pique

Default Dowel Peg Shootout

So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral
cut kind?

JP
Leon

IMHO the ones with the ridges, (flutes?) cut the length of the dowel slide
in easier.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral
cut kind?

JP

Ron Magen

I learned a trick, - so long ago that I don't want to mention !!

Use a pair of 'regular' slip-joint pliers. Gently 'crimp' around the peg -
so as to create some flutes around the length. Apply glue and insert.

The glue gives a bit of lubrication and the pseudo flutes allow a bit less
friction and the trapped air to escape. The water in the glue then makes the
'crimps' swell, the peg resumes it's original shape and holds even tighter.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Jay Pique" wrote ...
So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral
cut kind?

JP

TeamCasa

I've used thousands of each, still no preference. As you already know, the
flutes or sprial cuts are to prevent a hydraulic lock when driven/pushed
into the hole.

Dave

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral
cut kind?

JP

Jay Pique

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:17:08 -0700, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

I've used thousands of each, still no preference. As you already know, the
flutes or sprial cuts are to prevent a hydraulic lock when driven/pushed
into the hole.

That's what I gathered. I've not yet used the fluted kind, but we got
a bag of them delivered to the shop today. We'll see.

JP