Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best plane for shooting

I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

I use a LV bevel up jack plane, a LN 4 1/2, or a Stanley 5 1/2 with my
shooting boards. I use the LV more than the others. The LV has the 25 degree
iron in it when I use it on the shooting board.
I have the 140, but I don't shoot with it. If I were doing smaller pieces I
might very well use it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

I use a different plane depending on what I'm shooting... for small moldings
a No 4 is fine. For shooting end grain on wider boards I use a No 5 or No 7.
The No 5 is fine up to about 4" wide and the No 7 for wider. Rule of thumb
for me is the wider and harder the stock the more plane mass I want and the
finer the setting.

For jointing the edge of thin stock with a shooting board I use the No 5 or
No 7 depending on the length of the board. Jointing is jointing...

When I'm doing a lot of shooting of different types the No 7 stays on the
bench. It has the mass and length to handle pretty much any shooting need...
though the heavier No 8 would have been handy a few times. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
s.com:

I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

If you are looking for an excuse to go and buy another handplane for a
project, you have our permission. ;-)

As if you really needed to ask.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

Probably an F-18 Hornet. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

Probably an F-18 Hornet. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Max

Naaa.. A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:32:13 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Yes, they are! Even if they do take bird strikes from the rear. G

For now, we still have a detachment with the Connecticut Air National
Guard.

Have you ever seen a simulated attack demonstration in person? HO-LY
Crap! If it had any more low-altitude maneuverability, you'd need a
helicopter license to fly it.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

Probably an F-18 Hornet. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Max

Naaa.. A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The A-10 is quite a machine but just
for looks I prefer the B-2. When my son was attending college in
Warrensburg, MO and I would visit, I would rush outside anytime I heard a
jet, to see if it was a B-2 from Whiteman AFB. (as I recall they also had
A-10s there.)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Yes, they are! Even if they do take bird strikes from the rear. G

That's them air-disc brakes.

For now, we still have a detachment with the Connecticut Air National
Guard.

Have you ever seen a simulated attack demonstration in person? HO-LY
Crap! If it had any more low-altitude maneuverability, you'd need a
helicopter license to fly it.

Yes I have. Amazing loiter time...lots of silly acrobatics. Lots of
wing, gobs of engine and amazing survivability. Ever seen those pics
of that one all shot-up during Gulf 1?

A real kick-ass piece of gear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

Probably an F-18 Hornet. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Max

Naaa.. A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The A-10 is quite a machine but just
for looks I prefer the B-2. When my son was attending college in
Warrensburg, MO and I would visit, I would rush outside anytime I heard a
jet, to see if it was a B-2 from Whiteman AFB. (as I recall they also had
A-10s there.)

Max

I agree. The B-2 is really elegant and graceful. The A-10 is
scrappier. Apples and oranges, really. Ballet vs kick-boxing.
The F-104 Starfighter has always been my favourite 'looking' aircraft.
( Severely limited in terms of reliability, safety and usefulness, it
still looks 'hot'.) I always had a thing for the B-58 Hustler...that's
so ugly. it's beautiful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy took a can of maroon spray paint on August 19, 2007 06:16 pm and
wrote the following:

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

So you saw it at the CNE air show?

So ugly it was ....beautiful.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 6:24 pm, FrozenNorth wrote:
Robatoy took a can of maroon spray paint on August 19, 2007 06:16 pm and
wrote the following:

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

No, not at the CNE.
I don't think there are any B-58's flying any more. I think they
stopped flying that mach 2 bomber by the end of the 60's. I saw a few
in France in the mid 60's and it was a sight and sound to behold. It
had half the range of a B-52 and cost way more to maintain than the
B-52.
The B-58 still looks like it is from the future. Hard to believe it is
50+years old.
http://www.b-58hustler.com/

I have seen the A-10 at Sarnia Airshow. We are close to Selfridge AFB
in Michigan.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

The B-58 isn't ugly. G It's........menacing. Isn't the F-104 the
"missile with a man in it"?
Two of my all-time favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the Corsair. It sure
was nice to see them overhead in Korea. G

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

Ever seen those pics
of that one all shot-up during Gulf 1?

Yeah! Ignore the yellow warnings and worry about the reds! G

A real kick-ass piece of gear.

It is...

I know a local who flies busses for Delta for a living and A-10's on
weekends. A former employee of mine was an ANG A-10 crew chief, and
worked both Gulf conflicts. I signed his military leave of absence
papers for Gulf 2.

What I would give for a few hours at the controls of one of THOSE!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:38:39 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The A-10 is quite a machine but just
for looks I prefer the B-2.

Ah... The Batmobile... Very cool in it's own right!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:16:22 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

I always had a thing for the B-58 Hustler...that's
so ugly. it's beautiful.

I never thought it ugly at all, a true classic of the 50's.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:04:59 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

Two of my all-time favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the Corsair. It sure
was nice to see them overhead in Korea. G

You guys just keep bringing up more and more aircraft that I can agree
are 'purty!

The Mustang and the Corsair are gorgeous even for those who didn't see
them overhead while the bullets flew!

The Corsair has significant history for my home state of Connecticut,
as many were built here in Stratford. One of the remaining flyable
Corsairs is hangered at Chester Airport, ~15 minutes from my home.

Baa, baa, baa... G Pappy just got a field named after him in
Washington.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy took a can of maroon spray paint on August 19, 2007 06:45 pm and
wrote the following:

On Aug 19, 6:24 pm, FrozenNorth wrote:
Robatoy took a can of maroon spray paint on August 19, 2007 06:16 pm and
wrote the following:

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

Oh, sorry, I meant the A10 Warthog, I've seen it several times here in TO.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Two of my all-time favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the Corsair. It sure
was nice to see them overhead in Korea. G

You guys just keep bringing up more and more aircraft that I can agree
are 'purty!

There's nasty, ugly, purty, nifty, sleek, beautiful and then there's
the Mosquito.
There are so many ways to like a plane. Does anything sound as cool as
a Merlin at idle?... okay two on a Mosquito...or four on a Lancaster.
(My neighbour across the street flew Lanc.. he has a DFC and still
mows his lawn..at age 90.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:35:31 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

Does anything sound as cool as
a Merlin at idle?

Yeah...

A Merlin at any speed. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

Two of my all-time favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the Corsair. It
sure
was nice to see them overhead in Korea. G

You guys just keep bringing up more and more aircraft that I can agree
are 'purty!

The Mustang and the Corsair are gorgeous even for those who didn't see
them overhead while the bullets flew!

The Corsair has significant history for my home state of Connecticut,
as many were built here in Stratford. One of the remaining flyable
Corsairs is hangered at Chester Airport, ~15 minutes from my home.

Baa, baa, baa... G Pappy just got a field named after him in
Washington.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Here they a
http://tinyurl.com/2zp3lh

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:

A-10 (The most beautiful thing in the sky)

Yes, they are! Even if they do take bird strikes from the rear. G

A real kick-ass piece of gear.

....may be, but the leading edge is so soft you have to try to resharpen it
constantly and it still does a terrible job on end grain and not much better
on long grain. I'll stick to my L-Ns for shooting and recall stall spins in
150s and 170s for kicks.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:57:02 -0600, "Max"
Here they a
http://tinyurl.com/2zp3lh

Sweeet...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The best aircraft I ever saw or "photo shot" was a UH1C "a Charlie
model" gun ship with a 40 mike mike hog frog on the nose and 2.75
rocket tubes on both sides.
They were ugly fer sure and sounded worse.
But they were sure a great sight when "Charlie's or the NVA's 82 mm
mortars were falling about you.
192nd AHC.
Phan Thiet RVN 1969.
Francis

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:57:02 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Two of my all-time favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the Corsair. It
sure
was nice to see them overhead in Korea. G

You guys just keep bringing up more and more aircraft that I can agree
are 'purty!

The Mustang and the Corsair are gorgeous even for those who didn't see
them overhead while the bullets flew!

The Corsair has significant history for my home state of Connecticut,
as many were built here in Stratford. One of the remaining flyable
Corsairs is hangered at Chester Airport, ~15 minutes from my home.

Baa, baa, baa... G Pappy just got a field named after him in
Washington.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Here they a
http://tinyurl.com/2zp3lh

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
s.com...

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

P51 Mustang.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:16:22 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

My work was done upon the F-4E, the plane that proved with enough
thrust a rock can fly. (Glide ratio for an F-4 1 to 8 with forward
motion being the one).

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 11:59 pm, "
wrote:
I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

How about the Lie Nielsen #9 - http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=9

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem writes:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:16:22 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

On Aug 19, 5:38 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

My vote for the most beautiful thing in the sky is the XB-70.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 12:44 pm, Patriarch wrote:

If you are looking for an excuse to go and buy another handplane for a
project, you have our permission. ;-)

As if you really needed to ask.

Patriarch

I'm not looking for permission. I'm looking for recommendations so I
can decide which one to get.

I've never used my block plane with my current shooting board because
it has a much narrower side wall and it would cut away the guide edge
and reduce the support I would get if I went back to a bigger plane.
It seems best to use the same plane--or at least a plane with the same
side wall thickness--so that the guide edge is as big as possible for
the plane. (A few years ago I saw a Knight prototype photo showing a
wooden shooting plane that had a really wide side wall for better
contact.)

But some people say they are using lots of different planes. Does
each plane have a dedicated shooting board? Am I overestimating the
importance of this factor? I kind of feel like the guide edge on my
existing shooting board has worn some (it's baltic birch plywood).
Presumably it would wear faster if it was smaller.

I notice that somebody suggested the Lie Nielsen #9, which is of
course an obvious choice, but at $350 for a plane that isn't really
suitable for other jobs, it seems like a tough sell. (Didn't this
plane used to cost upwards of $400?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject.

Actually, a heliicopter.

"The devil made me do it", as Flip would have said.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 19, 12:44 pm, Patriarch wrote:

If you are looking for an excuse to go and buy another handplane for a
project, you have our permission. ;-)

As if you really needed to ask.

Patriarch

I'm not looking for permission. I'm looking for recommendations so I
can decide which one to get.

snip

I use a LV bevel up jack plane with my shooting boards. I sometimes use a 5
1/2 bailey as well. They both do a nice job, the LV gets the nod though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 23, 4:18 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject.

Actually, a heliicopter.

"The devil made me do it", as Flip would have said.

Lew

Flip was a trailblazer as he was the first gay black entertainer to
fluff off the stereotypical image that fag-schwartze had avoided all
these years. He just didn't 'act' gay, he was a flaming faggot....not
that that there's anything wrong wiff that, you unnerstand....euwwwww.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:18 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Subject.

Actually, a heliicopter.

"The devil made me do it", as Flip would have said.

Lew

Flip was a trailblazer as he was the first gay black entertainer to
fluff off the stereotypical image that fag-schwartze had avoided all
these years. He just didn't 'act' gay, he was a flaming faggot....not
that that there's anything wrong wiff that, you unnerstand....euwwwww.

Flip Wilson had two wives and four children?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0933400/bio

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:55:25 GMT, Nova wrote:

Flip Wilson had two wives and four children?

Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy have also played some great women
characters, and quite likely are not gay.

Then there's Sigfried and Roy, who just came out, according to the
tabloid I saw in my local supermarket Tuesday evening. No kidding,
front page news! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The No 9 is one of those "would be nice to have" things... I use my L-N No
4, 5 and 7 with the same shooting board with no ill effects.

My boys put a bit of wear on the end of the fence when they were learning
how to shoot miters. I simply glued some walnut on the end and dressed it
with a plane and it was as good as new. A side benefit of making the repair
with walnut was it let the boys know that they were rocking the plane when
they saw the dark wood shaving mixed in with lighter colored wood.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova writes:
Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:18 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Subject.

Actually, a heliicopter.

"The devil made me do it", as Flip would have said.

Lew

Flip was a trailblazer as he was the first gay black entertainer to
fluff off the stereotypical image that fag-schwartze had avoided all
these years. He just didn't 'act' gay, he was a flaming faggot....not
that that there's anything wrong wiff that, you unnerstand....euwwwww.

Flip Wilson had two wives and four children?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0933400/bio

And an inflatible. Don't ask.

scott

Shooting Board Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 19th 07 08:06 PM
Shooting Board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 July 18th 06 01:14 AM
Are their commericial shooting boards available? [email protected] Woodworking 6 July 11th 06 01:48 PM
Plans for a range/shooting box? Roy Woodworking 5 January 25th 06 08:39 PM
Plane ignorant person needs some plane advice. Modat22 Woodworking 20 June 2nd 05 10:55 PM