Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Best plane for shooting

On Aug 18, 11:59 pm, "
wrote:
I need to make a new shooting board and have been wondering about what
plane I should use with it. (I've been using a Veritas #5 with the
old shooting board.) I was thinking that a plane with a skewed blade
like the Lie Nielsen #140 might be nice because it would start the
shaving more gracefully. But then I read the details and notice that
they say it produces a tapered shaving, which seems like a problem.
I've also read that big planes are better for shooting because of
their weight.

So what is the best plane to use for shooting?

How about the Lie Nielsen #9 - http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=9

JP