Posted to rec.woodworking

Default scraping plane - anyone use one?

Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-No-...b/273024393771

You can buy scaper holders that flex for you.

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/scraper-holder
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 8:11:00 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-No-...b/273024393771

You can buy scaper holders that flex for you.

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/scraper-holder

A brand new scraping plane from Lee Valley runs $179 USD.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael writes:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

You can get a brand-new L-N #85 (as good as the stanley, if not better)
for $215 https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/scraping-planes/cabinet-makers-scraper?node=4075

Of more general use is the 112 analogue
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/scraping-planes/large-scraping-plane?node=4075
for $235. Or the lee valley version for $175
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=48431

Or the small scraping plane from lee valley

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=62885&cat=1,41182

There are various reproduction #80's around as well, including
one from woodcraft. I picked up a New-in-box Stanley #80M
at an antique store recently for $35.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/18 8:29 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Michael writes:
[...]

That qualifies for a "You suck!"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael writes:
[...]

Yeah. Incredibly, this was from one of the higher-priced
antique malls I regularly visit - on cannery row in Monterey.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

You are a woodworker, why not build your own? There is a set of plans out there more recent than these (frankly this one is ugly)

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a..._scraper_plane

That uses a Hock blade set at something like 95degrees. I built one, and it works okay. I prefer a Cabinet Scraper, (Stanley #80), which are on Ebay for anywhere from $20 on up.

Then there is this from Lumberjocks. There is also a set of plans in one of the woodworking mags that was published about a year ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message ...

There are various reproduction #80's around as well, including
one from woodcraft. I picked up a New-in-box Stanley #80M
at an antique store recently for $35.

I just looked it up... I bought a new #80 and with delivery it ran $33.20.
That was in December 2002. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" writes:
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message ...

There are various reproduction #80's around as well, including
one from woodcraft. I picked up a New-in-box Stanley #80M
at an antique store recently for $35.

I just looked it up... I bought a new #80 and with delivery it ran $33.20.
That was in December 2002. ;~)

That's one of the made-in-the-UK ones. The real made-in-usa
#80 production was terminated 1984. The #80M production terminated
in 1974.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm#num80M

#80 production was terminated 1984. The #80M production terminated
in 1974.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm#num80M

It works just fine regardless for the applications to which it is applied...
mostly things like stripping finish off and scrapping glue. I have a good
selection of card scrapers for finer work and particularly like the thinnest
L-N scraper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:11:00 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-No-...b/273024393771

You can buy scaper holders that flex for you.

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/scraper-holder

A follow-up on this. Your note reminded me that I had lost a bolt on my Veritas scraper holder. No telling where it went. Just one of those deals where you pick it up one day and no bolt.

So I wrote and asked about the cost of a replacement bolt. I received an email that said they would send another, no cost. It arrived today.

GREAT company.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
[...]

I'll bet you asked nicely. The bolt is probably $5.95 with $11.95 shipping
for those that send a b*itchy email, complaining about the quality of the
product. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:43:09 -0800 (PST)
patrick wrote:

a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the
only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of
makers of them? Regards, Pat

doubt that is the only reason

some folks just like to pay more for tools to make themselves happy
and as long as there are these buyers there will be sellers

i do use furniture scrapers which you can diy