Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default scraping plane - anyone use one?

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:11:00 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-No-...b/273024393771

You can buy scaper holders that flex for you.

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/scraper-holder

A follow-up on this. Your note reminded me that I had lost a bolt on my Veritas scraper holder. No telling where it went. Just one of those deals where you pick it up one day and no bolt.

So I wrote and asked about the cost of a replacement bolt. I received an email that said they would send another, no cost. It arrived today.

GREAT company.

I'll bet you asked nicely. The bolt is probably $5.95 with $11.95 shipping
for those that send a b*itchy email, complaining about the quality of the
product. ;-)