Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default scraping plane - anyone use one?

On 1/31/18 8:29 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Michael writes:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

You can get a brand-new L-N #85 (as good as the stanley, if not better)
for $215 https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/scraping-planes/cabinet-makers-scraper?node=4075

Of more general use is the 112 analogue
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/scraping-planes/large-scraping-plane?node=4075
for $235. Or the lee valley version for $175
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=48431

Or the small scraping plane from lee valley

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=62885&cat=1,41182

There are various reproduction #80's around as well, including
one from woodcraft. I picked up a New-in-box Stanley #80M
at an antique store recently for $35.

That qualifies for a "You suck!"

--

-MIKE-