Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default scraping plane - anyone use one?

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:43:15 PM UTC-6, patrick wrote:
Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them?
Regards, Pat

You are a woodworker, why not build your own? There is a set of plans out there more recent than these (frankly this one is ugly)

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a..._scraper_plane

That uses a Hock blade set at something like 95degrees. I built one, and it works okay. I prefer a Cabinet Scraper, (Stanley #80), which are on Ebay for anywhere from $20 on up.

Then there is this from Lumberjocks. There is also a set of plans in one of the woodworking mags that was published about a year ago.