Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WoodCraft is back in Tulsa

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down
the street yesterday and saw the sign, so I had to stop and
see. It is mostly open, although it is still a work in
progress. They are still working on the show room, they
don't even have price tags on the shelves. But they are
'open'.

The new place is a short distance east of the old location on
41st ST. I think it may be a better location. It is bigger,
which will be nice. It also faces out on the street rather
than being tucked back in a shopping center. People driving
by will be able to see it, after all that is what I did.

I was very good. I managed to wander all over the store and
kept my hands behind my back and didn't buy anything.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:19:21 -0600
Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

so is insurance higher if they move to a new location

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:53:04 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:19:21 -0600
Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only
\

members since when did woodcraft have members

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

that would be a false logic if anything the odds are higher that any
location will get hit by a tornado once it has been

so is insurance higher if they move to a new location

almost certainly its a larger store
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Thu, 4 Jan 2018
08:53:04 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:19:21 -0600
Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening never
strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often there
isn't anything left after the first strike.
Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base in
Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening never
strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often there
isn't anything left after the first strike.
Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base in
Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.

In 2015 a co-worker bought a condo in a waterfront property in Myrtle
Beach, SC. The plan was for it to be a vacation spot and income property.
During the first year, he didn't rent it out because he was fixing up his
unit.

In 2016 Hurricane Matthew caused enough flood damage to the building that everyone had to move out while they gutted the first floor and rebuilt.
There were a lot of delays due to code upgrades and insurance issues.

In 2017, before they had even completed the repairs, Tropical Storm Irma
hit and flooded the place again.

My coworker has made no income from the property and has been paying to
vacation in other places. Not his best investment idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location. I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening never
strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often there
isn't anything left after the first strike.
Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base in
Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.

One of the first things that happened to actually give forecasters
some kind of warning of tornadoes was at an air base here in Oklahoma.
The same thing happened there, and when they checked their instruments
they found that they got the same readings. The first time such an
event happened so they could get good readings.

This was back before they had all the neat instrumentation they have
now.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/2018 8:50 PM, Bill Gill wrote:
Electric Comet on Thu, 4 Jan 2018
08:53:04 -0800 typed in rec.woodworkingÂ* the following:
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:19:21 -0600
Bill Gill wrote:

The WoodCraft store that got walked on by the tornado last
August has reopened in a new location.Â* I was driving down

did they add a tornado shelter
maybe for members only

seriously though i wonder how insurance actuaries handle insurance
for places like this

i would guess that the odds are low that the same location would get
hit twice

Â*Â*Â*Â*One would think so.Â* But, like the cliche that lightening never
strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often there
isn't anything left after the first strike.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Same goes for tornadoes.Â* I was told that the Air Force Base in
Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary.Â* A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.

One of the first things that happened to actually give forecasters
some kind of warning of tornadoes was at an air base here in Oklahoma.
The same thing happened there, and when they checked their instruments
they found that they got the same readings.Â* The first time such an
event happened so they could get good readings.

This was back before they had all the neat instrumentation they have
now.

Bill

Second thoughts. It wasn't a year it was just a short time, maybe a
week. That was why they noticed the similarity between the readings
before both of the tornadoes.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:58:23 -0600 typed
[...]

Science: take notes, and repeat the experiment. Compare the data.

Kind of hard on the test subjects. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 20:50:17 -0600 typed
Bill Gill wrote:

[...]

I should mention that this event was prior to 1959 - I would have
been 3 at the time)

This was back before they had all the neat instrumentation they have
now.

Bill

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 18:47:10 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Bill Gill wrote:

[...]

A good "idea" - but one that didn't work out as planned. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:22:40 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening
never strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often
there isn't anything left after the first strike.

there is more to lightning and location

the geology can play a role in strike location
that is to say that the composition of the soil and even subsurface
are significant

Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base
in Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.

there is tornado alley in oklahoma so they do repeat so maybe actuaries
base on wide areas and the exact location is not factored

have seen hurricane proof dwellings but not sure if there are tornado
proof dwellings

maybe tornado resistant

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One would think so. But, like the cliche that lightening
never strikes twice in the same place - the reality is that often
there isn't anything left after the first strike.

there is more to lightning and location

the geology can play a role in strike location
that is to say that the composition of the soil and even subsurface
are significant

Same goes for tornadoes. I was told that the Air Force Base
in Salina Kansas had a tornado come through and tear the front off the
commissary. A year later, another tornado tore the front off the
repairs.

there is tornado alley in oklahoma so they do repeat so maybe actuaries
base on wide areas and the exact location is not factored

have seen hurricane proof dwellings but not sure if there are tornado
proof dwellings

maybe tornado resistant

I think this

dwelling is