Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No Woodcraft in Tulsa for a while

The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

Bill

Saw that on the news.

Kinna sounds inconsiderate, but, when appropriate(?), you might go inquire about a pending(?) "fire sale".

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2017 8:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

Bill

Saw that on the news.

Kinna sounds inconsiderate, but, when appropriate(?), you might go inquire about a pending(?) "fire sale".

Sonny

I was thinking that when they reopen they have have a good
sale.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2017 12:50 PM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 8/7/2017 8:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

Bill

Saw that on the news.

Kinna sounds inconsiderate, but, when appropriate(?), you might go
inquire about a pending(?) "fire sale".

Sonny

I was thinking that when they reopen they have have a good
sale.

Bill

The best deal is to find out who is buying the contents now after the
insurance company is done. They often sell off the entire contents for
pennies on the dollar to people that deal in that stuff. Then it shows
up in flea markets and the like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2017 8:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sometimes it just gets thrown in a dumpster. Several years ago
a woman found several hundred coats in a dumpster after a fire
at a store. She took them home, washed them, and gave them to
charity.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 08:11:10 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

That *is* a disaster!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2017 8:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
The local Woodcraft store here in Tulsa is down for a while.
We had an unexpected EF2 tornado early yesterday morning and the
Woodcraft store was in the path. I didn't see any pictures
of the store itself, but it is right next to the AT&T store
that was totally trashed. I don't expect it came out in
great shape. Fortunately there were no deaths, and no
life threatening injuries. In the middle of the night of
course there just weren't that many people out.

Bill

Saw that on the news.

Kinna sounds inconsiderate, but, when appropriate(?), you might go inquire about a pending(?) "fire sale".

Sonny

Well, the Woodcraft store has been condemned. The owner can't
even get in to inventory what might be salvageable. He thinks
he might be able to reopen farther north in the same shopping
center. He says he definitely needs to be open by November.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:10:09 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:

Well, the Woodcraft store has been condemned. The owner can't
even get in to inventory what might be salvageable. He thinks
he might be able to reopen farther north in the same shopping
center. He says he definitely needs to be open by November.

Bill

Another option, if you have some spare time, is to volunteer to assist (paid or unpaid?) him with cleanup and the move, hence collect any unwanted items in the process.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2017 8:20 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:10:09 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:

Well, the Woodcraft store has been condemned. The owner can't
even get in to inventory what might be salvageable. He thinks
he might be able to reopen farther north in the same shopping
center. He says he definitely needs to be open by November.

Bill

Another option, if you have some spare time, is to volunteer to assist (paid or unpaid?) him with cleanup and the move, hence collect any unwanted items in the process.

Sonny

Sounds good, but there might be some safety issues,
particularly with the insurance company.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/08/2017 11:40 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Sounds good, but there might be some safety issues,
particularly with the insurance company.

Ya think!?

Just what he needs is a bunch of leaches hanging 'round looking to rip
off what inventory that is left.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/17 8:20 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:10:09 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:

Well, the Woodcraft store has been condemned. The owner can't
even get in to inventory what might be salvageable. He thinks
he might be able to reopen farther north in the same shopping
center. He says he definitely needs to be open by November.

Bill

Another option, if you have some spare time, is to volunteer to assist (paid or unpaid?) him with cleanup and the move, hence collect any unwanted items in the process.

Sonny

I'm guessing the insurance company will keep tight reigns on all
merchandise so they can sell it and recoup expenses.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 1:00:48 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm guessing the insurance company will keep tight reigns on all
merchandise so they can sell it and recoup expenses.

IF it is in good condition, they will pack it up and sell it through another outlet. No one wants to be responsible for possibly damaged equipment, no one wants possible safety issues (real or imagined)generated by using possibly unsafe equipment, and no one wants to try to warrant a new purchase of a damaged tool. A few saws, some hand tools, chisels and edged tools that have lost their temper are nothing to the big tools suppliers, especially when someone sues because they say they were damaged by an unsafe tool.

Scavenging doesn't work either. My fire restoration contractors buddies are often the only people allowed to enter a burned building. They are simply too unsafe, and no business owner wants some knothead in his mini van on a site full of damaged, sharp edged objects that are rusted, unstable and unsafe. If you have not secured the site, the owner of the site's insurance is responsible for the nail that goes through a foot, the guy that stumbles and falls on debris and gets hurt, etc. Likewise, the victim of the fire can be further screwed by courts and insurance companies when they try to spread the liability by proving the victim didn't do his/her due diligence to secure the site.

I have quit asking my buds to slip out a tool or material from the burns they work on as they just can't do it as it is a transference of liability onto them. It all seems to be resting on the nature of the fire and how serious it was. According to my contractors, the business owner can go back to the site and take what they want (excluding salvage for future resale, which will be replaced by insurance)as personal or business personal items. They are covered by their insurance, but any transactions with scavengers indicate they are open for business on some level, and the liability game is started by attorneys.

So, I grind my teeth when there is a fire at the hardware store that ruins 80% of the merchandise and the insurance company declares it a total loss. At that time neither no one has access to the merchandise as it is property (paid for) by the insurance company.

It gets better. As I have been warned, anything that is disposed of by me in a dumpster or put in a place that is accessible, I am responsible for creating "an attractive nuisance". If someone gets hurt dumpster diving or taking apart a material pile and I don't have my dumpster locked (and I must have a high sided model) or if my debris pile isn't tarped and set off with yellow/orange warning tape, I am responsible for the guys that take my debris piles apart. My insurance company now has told me not to give ANY scraps to anyone that asks, and personally I just can't do it. I still give away odd scraps of granite, sink cut outs, scraps of wood and plywood, paint, and other stuff that will rot in my yard before I get to using it.

Sorry for the loss of the WC, and best wishes to the owner for a successful restart. Maybe... if you can work a weekend together you guys can find some goodies in the ashes. It is a common problem for burn sites to be looted and scavenged, so if you can work it correctly it might be a nice thing to grab some stuff and give the WC owner a few bucks. He will need them, no doubt.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2017 2:28 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 1:00:48 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm guessing the insurance company will keep tight reigns on all
merchandise so they can sell it and recoup expenses.

IF it is in good condition, they will pack it up and sell it through another outlet. No one wants to be responsible for possibly damaged equipment, no one wants possible safety issues (real or imagined)generated by using possibly unsafe equipment, and no one wants to try to warrant a new purchase of a damaged tool. A few saws, some hand tools, chisels and edged tools that have lost their temper are nothing to the big tools suppliers, especially when someone sues because they say they were damaged by an unsafe tool.

Your experience is similar to what I encountered with two serious fires.
Both were considered total losses. We had people there 24 hours to
keep vultures away. Admittance even to employees was limited for safety
reasons. Once everything was inspected, cleared by the Fire Marshall we
could salvage some materials, machines, etc. but the insurance company
also had people that came in to dispose of everything

While to a contractor or woodworker the slightly damaged tools are
potential great bargains or gifts from the tornado gods, to the insurers
it it all about money and settling claims.

Having lived through two total looses (1976, 2007) I can say I never
want to have to do it again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 3:16:45 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Your experience is similar to what I encountered with two serious fires.
Both were considered total losses. We had people there 24 hours to
keep vultures away. Admittance even to employees was limited for safety
reasons. Once everything was inspected, cleared by the Fire Marshall we
could salvage some materials, machines, etc. but the insurance company
also had people that came in to dispose of everything

Right now, in a straight line of about 35 feet is the neighbor's house. It didn't burn to the ground, but from flame/water/smoke damage, it was decided a total loss. Half the structure burned down and other half is standing but completely unsafe. So the Fire Marshall taped it off and warned that no one could enter. As a courtesy, the fire department came out (a great gesture by some great guys) and grabbed some things for them. Two days later the looters were there. They took the Fisher Price tools that were smoke damaged but no melted, damaged furniture and some stuff from his backyard. The insurance guys sent out another "team" to plywood over the broken windows and patio door for a second time. A week later the house was broken into again, the neighbor called the police, but the thieves got away. This time they took canned goods (in rusted cans), towels, and some more toys, as well as his wife's underwear (water logged and all).

While to a contractor or woodworker the slightly damaged tools are
potential great bargains or gifts from the tornado gods, to the insurers
it it all about money and settling claims.

Amen. And in a commercial situation where everyone figures businesses are made of money (and of course resulting in any litigation possible) the insurance companies want all liabilities closed as soon as possible. I understand both sides of the equation and especially wanting to lessen any liabilities.

But still, it galls me to see waste that sometimes occurs. I don't care about some scavenger that hovers around like a buzzard to see if he can benefit from someone's tragedy. But it gives me an intense amount of heartburn to see tools or merchandise that can be brought back to life by some time, attention and effort. I have run across a lot of folks over the years that have rebuilt bandsaws, table saws, etc., and even gone to the point of painting them their original colors when finished with their restoration. Hard to explain to those guys that the small table saw that just has the paint scorched and a rusted top that it has to go to the dumpster.

Having lived through two total looses (1976, 2007) I can say I never
want to have to do it again.

That is absolutely awful. I can't imagine that... I was flooded out a few years ago but didn't lose //everything//. And one event so close to the other...
OUCH.

Robert