Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nail nomenclature?

On Wednesday, August 23, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, John R. Swain wrote:
Subject: Nail Nomenclature?
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Can anyone solve a debate that started at our shop. Why are nail sizes
refered to as "penny"? More than that why is "penny" abbreviated as "D",
e.g., 12D or 16D?

Anyone have any clues?

I WAS TOLD THAT THE "D" WAS SHORT FOR " DRACHMA" - GREEK COIN
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 4:39:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I WAS TOLD THAT THE "D" WAS SHORT FOR " DRACHMA" - GREEK COIN

The D, as in 10D nail, means that, when learning how to use a hammer, learn how to hammer a nail (probably myself and others as an example), you miss the nail and dent the wood 10 times, before the nail is sufficiently sunk into the wood. Sic.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 7:19:43 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 4:39:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I WAS TOLD THAT THE "D" WAS SHORT FOR " DRACHMA" - GREEK COIN

The D, as in 10D nail, means that, when learning how to use a hammer, learn how to hammer a nail (probably myself and others as an example), you miss the nail and dent the wood 10 times, before the nail is sufficiently sunk into the wood. Sic.

Sonny

i.e., a designation of/for a carpenter's/woodworker's learning curve.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Okay, this has to be a winner

Difficult for me to believe even in this group that folks would think it necessary to respond to a thread well over 22 years old.

Have to wonder if the OP and the original group of respondents about the time this group formed are even still alive...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:32:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Okay, this has to be a winner

Difficult for me to believe even in this group that folks would think it necessary to respond to a thread well over 22 years old.

I never see the original antique posts, only the more modern

Have to wonder if the OP and the original group of respondents about the time this group formed are even still alive...

I think you'd find that many/most are. I was certainly posting to the
Usenet in '95, though perhaps not to RW. '95 isn't _that_ long ago.
;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 11:32:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Okay, this has to be a winner

Difficult for me to believe even in this group that folks would think it necessary to respond to a thread well over 22 years old.

LOL. With the cold weather across the nation, woodworking is slow, so we have to talk about something. .... better than shoveling snow, for some of the folks.

I've been carving on the cypress chair seats, nothing special to show pics of, yet. Bought 2 light fixtures for the back patio, considering installing them when I finish this typing. Teche Electric guys were no help resolving the pink T-8 bulb lighting, though they questioned the bulbs, themselves. I'll see what replacing the bulbs will do.

Sonny