Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool Roadshow

Went to this this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O0bS3xVnA0g

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat
sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog,
and a "sticker". This was free.

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable
cuts. That was not free.

It will be in SA on Saturday, Robert.

I will say that I ran into 4~6 people that already own the Kapex and
many have had the saw 5+ years, including a local small business. They
all could not say enough about the saw. The brothers that have their
own business gave me a few pointers for cutting crown moldings and for
cutting small pieces so that they don't get sucked up into the dust
collection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:41:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Went to this this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O0bS3xVnA0g

The one I went to last week had the sides up and heat on. It was
*cold*. ;-)

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat
sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog,
and a "sticker". This was free.

They shorted me the sandpaper. :-(

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable
cuts. That was not free.

You bought it from the store, though, right? They said they didn't
sell stuff.

It will be in SA on Saturday, Robert.

I will say that I ran into 4~6 people that already own the Kapex and
many have had the saw 5+ years, including a local small business. They
all could not say enough about the saw. The brothers that have their
own business gave me a few pointers for cutting crown moldings and for
cutting small pieces so that they don't get sucked up into the dust
collection.

Did you ask about the reports of them burning up?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Went to this this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O0bS3xVnA0g

The one I went to last week had the sides up and heat on. It was
*cold*. ;-)

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat
sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog,
and a "sticker". This was free.

They shorted me the sandpaper. :-(

Well I ended up with an 18 volt battery that will not work on my 15 volt
drill. LOL. But if I grind that tab a little it will fit. I wondering
if the 3 extra volts will harm the electronics.... The motor should be
able to handle it.

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable
cuts. That was not free.

You bought it from the store, though, right? They said they didn't
sell stuff.

Yes the store.... Before 12 noon the store sold 5 Dominoes. and at
least one Kapex. :~)

It will be in SA on Saturday, Robert.

I will say that I ran into 4~6 people that already own the Kapex and
many have had the saw 5+ years, including a local small business. They
all could not say enough about the saw. The brothers that have their
own business gave me a few pointers for cutting crown moldings and for
cutting small pieces so that they don't get sucked up into the dust
collection.

Did you ask about the reports of them burning up?

Yes I did. The rep indicated that it is hard to say what the issue may
have been. He suggested, and I tend to agree, that it is probably the
guys that use the saw heavily and daily and brutally. He thinks they
may not be letting the soft start motor coming up to speed before
plunging the cut. I'm thinking that the typical miter saw lasts 3~5
years when being carried to multiple work sites and they may being
abused too...

I don't have much concern at all about it. I was surprised that there
were so many owners and tradesmen that owned the Kapex at the show.
they all said I would be glad that I bought it. All of those guys and
one gal, sounded like me when I preach the Domino.

About the lady, I suspect she was in her mid to late 60's retired and
loved woodworking for a hobby. She has the Kapex, both the large and
small Domino, track saw, sanders.....but no drill yet. ;~) She seemed
to walk the walk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Went to this this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O0bS3xVnA0g

The one I went to last week had the sides up and heat on. It was
*cold*. ;-)

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat
sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog,
and a "sticker". This was free.

They shorted me the sandpaper. :-(

Well I ended up with an 18 volt battery that will not work on my 15 volt
drill. LOL. But if I grind that tab a little it will fit. I wondering
if the 3 extra volts will harm the electronics.... The motor should be
able to handle it.

Works in my Carvex and Sheetrock driver. ;-)

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable
cuts. That was not free.

You bought it from the store, though, right? They said they didn't
sell stuff.

Yes the store.... Before 12 noon the store sold 5 Dominoes. and at
least one Kapex. :~)

Five Dominoes is impressive.

[...]

;-) I don't think you'll find the Kapex to be quite as unique,
though.

About the lady, I suspect she was in her mid to late 60's retired and
loved woodworking for a hobby. She has the Kapex, both the large and
small Domino, track saw, sanders.....but no drill yet. ;~) She seemed
to walk the walk.

Was the German woman there? She gave a mean presentation of their
twitching tool. Almost convinced me it was worth the money. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

There was a young woman there but I did not speak with her. She was
overseeing the drill area. Twitching tool? Would that be the multimaster
with a Festool name on it?

I still cannot wrap my head around all of the people that owned the Kapex.
And for most it was not their first mitersaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't think she was that young. Well comparatively, sure. ;-)

Yes, but does the Multimaster have the same attachments? I don't know
what it's called but the pad that is used for plunge cutting is really
sweet.

I still cannot wrap my head around all of the people that owned the Kapex.
And for most it was not their first mitersaw.

It's certainly one of the best as a worksite saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet installers, remodelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one, seriously, with all my contacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one uses a Kapex. Could the guys you saw be some wannabes?

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output. First, you simply don't need that kind of accuracy using today's current building methods. Most important, you might as well hang a neon sign on a saw like that asking someone to steal it. Most of us work out of pickups... where could you hide it?

The standard around here for trimmers is the DeWalt products. Good/great accuracy, sturdy build, parts for repair are available over the counter, and they have good service life. My last DeWalt 713 lasted 22 years. It rode from job to job in the back ofthe truck. I couldn't tell you how many thousand feet of all kinds of trim that thing cut. It still runs, but the lift handle broke and it exposed wiring so it is unsafe until I find a good ABS glue.

I loved that saw enough to run right out and get another rendition of that same model. Granted, I wouldn't let anyone else use it, and it was treated very well because I didn't want to knock it out of my adjustment. I took a lot of time to fine tune it as needed. But I paid something like $190 bucks for it, and you can replace it now for something like $220. That saw is a steal.

Anyway...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 02:27:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet installers, remodelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one, seriously, with all my contacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one uses a Kapex. Could the guys you saw be some wannabes?

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output.

Actually quite a few people are doubting the quality of the tool. Read
the negative reviews on Amazon--burned out motors seem to be
commonplace.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah! Younger'n me. LOL

Yes, but does the Multimaster have the same attachments? I don't know
what it's called but the pad that is used for plunge cutting is really
sweet.

NO, I don't think so.. Festool adds a lot of premium features to the tool
over what Fein offers IRC.

I still cannot wrap my head around all of the people that owned the Kapex.
And for most it was not their first mitersaw.

It's certainly one of the best as a worksite saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean
your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

Check the Festool Road show schedule or call your little cal woodcraft to
find out the details. I saw the schedule for the show and they will follow
SA with Austin, Dallas AND Ft Worth. It really is a very cool setup
with Festool guys that can answer any question you may have.

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a
jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet
installers, remodelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one,
seriously, with all my contacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one
uses a Kapex. Could the guys you saw be some wannabes?

Neither did I but out of the 4 -5 I met a couple were in the business.
They had all kinds of suggestions of how they use theirs and how they have
theirs set up to cut crowns.

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output.
First, you simply don't need that kind of accuracy using today's current
building methods. Most important, you might as well hang a neon sign on a
saw like that asking someone to steal it. Most of us work out of
pickups... where could you hide it?

Agreed with the need for accuracy on the job site. Of the trades, guys 2
were brothers, about our age and nationality. :-). They for years were
trim carpenters and apparently hauled the Kapex to the job site. With two
of them I guess there are twice as many eyes on guard. IIRC they got the
saw about 7 years ago. They did say that they were going more towards
custom Furnature and were not doing any or as much trim any more.

For me, I want the accuracy and quality of cut. I often have the TS set
up for a particular cut and need to make other quality cuts. Can I justify
the cost? NOOOO. It was the whole package. Very small foot print when
not in use. Very easy to move and set up. Very quick to set and tear
down,including the wing extensions on both sides. I think it takes about 2
minutes to pull it out and set up for repeatable cutstyo to 94.5".

[...]

Understood. :-). I won't be lending mine out either. Kim talked me into
it. I think she got tired of me fondling the Kapex at the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet installers, remodelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one, seriously, with all my contacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one uses a Kapex. Could the guys you saw be some wannabes?

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output.

Actually quite a few people are doubting the quality of the tool. Read
the negative reviews on Amazon--burned out motors seem to be
commonplace.

The speculation as to why this was happening was explained as possibly
not letting the soft start come up to speed before plunge cutting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2017 8:14 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean
your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

Check the Festool Road show schedule or call your little cal woodcraft to
find out the details. I saw the schedule for the show and they will follow
SA with Austin, Dallas AND Ft Worth. It really is a very cool setup
with Festool guys that can answer any question you may have.

umm call your little cal, should have been call your local Woodcraft.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry. After reading your posts, I could tell by the justification of "practicality", "portability", "it would work well for me in my shop due to limited space"...

I knew you had already purchased it!!!

Like The Hulk, you have a certain amount of that Festool green blood that flows through your veins!

I just didn't know where it was going to be shipped. I thought in anticipation of your new Christmas gift you might not have wanted to wait for them to show up in Houston, and to speed things along might have decided to pick one up here.

BTW, Kathy should have an answer on her time off this Friday.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2017 1:28 PM, wrote:
Sorry. After reading your posts, I could tell by the justification of "practicality", "portability", "it would work well for me in my shop due to limited space"...

Yes, It all just made sense for me and MY particular reason and
application. I will say that I looked long and hard at the Fast Cap
mobile miter saw stand. They have about 8~10 versions all based on the
same concept. For about the same setup as the Festool stand set up I
could get the upper end Fast Cap version but it is not really "well
designed" to be put away in a "handle and 2 wheels" vertical position.
It looked like it could be tipped over very easily. I would have to
attach it to something stable when not in use. Other wise pretty well
thought out, and certainly heavier.

I knew you had already purchased it!!!

Humm.

Like The Hulk, you have a certain amount of that Festool green blood that flows through your veins!

I think Karl made a similar comment about the green. LOL

I just didn't know where it was going to be shipped.

The local Woodcraft had it in stock, that is where the Festool Road Show
tractor trailer showed up. I still had doubts about that much money for
something I really did not need, and the alternative at a substantial
savings, the 12" Bosch Glide SCMS. While I was inspecting the Kapex on
the trailer 4~5 people, non Festool people, came up behind me and
started telling me their experience with the saw. I can imagine how I
sound here when commenting about the Domino. It was not until I was
living, stopped and reassured me that I was going to really like the
saw. We probably talked for 15 minutes and we exchanged cards.

I thought in anticipation of your new Christmas gift you might not
have wanted to wait for them to show up in Houston, and to speed things
along might have decided to pick one up here.

No I really wanted to go to the show, BTW it is still boxed, all 3
boxes, and in the garage. I wanted to talk to the Festool guys that are
experts on the saw. They demoed it, broke it down into take it away
position, and back up ready to cut in a minute or two. Those guys can
answer questions, that people that actually use their tools, will ask.
And the first question I had was about the motors burning up. Naturally
he was not going to bad mouth the product he was selling but given the
reputation and his explanation I was less concerned about any problems.

Seriously, you should check the show out If you can get there. Keep in
mind that they are only there for about 3-4 hours. They GIVE you about
$200 worth of stuff which you may or may not be able to use but
still..... the cap is nice and you certainly can use the Granat sanding
sponges. ;~)

I still have some circuit breakers to give you. LOL.

Found the time, date, and location.

Event Details
Woodcraft of San Antonio

13719 San Pedro Ave
San Antonio, TX 78232 United States
San Antonio, TX
Sat, December 16, 2017
10:00 am - 2:00 pm

BTW, Kathy should have an answer on her time off this Friday.

Not a problem. We will be busy with parties on the Friday and Saturday
Christmas weekend, 22nd and 23rd. I suspect you will be lending your
hand taking care of our great warriors but even still I'm certain that
you and Kathy will be welcomed at both parties. Bryan and Hannah's
house and another couple, our age, that we have really become quite
close with.

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.festoolroadshow.com/event/san-antonio-2017/

Festool Roadshow [email protected] Woodworking 31 December 10th 17 08:21 PM
Festool TS-55 or Festool TS-75 Plunge Cut Saw [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 21st 07 09:16 AM
Greene and Greene on Antiques Roadshow Darrell Peart Woodworking 1 May 9th 05 02:24 PM
Festool CT-22 Vacuum ? Ken Woodworking 3 April 9th 04 09:43 PM
festool jigsaw Bob Heveri Woodworking 5 August 12th 03 09:47 AM