Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool Roadshow

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:47:58 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/11/2017 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:41:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Went to this this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O0bS3xVnA0g

The one I went to last week had the sides up and heat on. It was
*cold*. ;-)

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat
sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog,
and a "sticker". This was free.

They shorted me the sandpaper. :-(

Well I ended up with an 18 volt battery that will not work on my 15 volt
drill. LOL. But if I grind that tab a little it will fit. I wondering
if the 3 extra volts will harm the electronics.... The motor should be
able to handle it.

Works in my Carvex and Sheetrock driver. ;-)

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable
cuts. That was not free.

You bought it from the store, though, right? They said they didn't
sell stuff.

Yes the store.... Before 12 noon the store sold 5 Dominoes. and at
least one Kapex. :~)

Five Dominoes is impressive.

It will be in SA on Saturday, Robert.

I will say that I ran into 4~6 people that already own the Kapex and
many have had the saw 5+ years, including a local small business. They
all could not say enough about the saw. The brothers that have their
own business gave me a few pointers for cutting crown moldings and for
cutting small pieces so that they don't get sucked up into the dust
collection.

Did you ask about the reports of them burning up?

Yes I did. The rep indicated that it is hard to say what the issue may
have been. He suggested, and I tend to agree, that it is probably the
guys that use the saw heavily and daily and brutally. He thinks they
may not be letting the soft start motor coming up to speed before
plunging the cut. I'm thinking that the typical miter saw lasts 3~5
years when being carried to multiple work sites and they may being
abused too...

I don't have much concern at all about it. I was surprised that there
were so many owners and tradesmen that owned the Kapex at the show.
they all said I would be glad that I bought it. All of those guys and
one gal, sounded like me when I preach the Domino.

;-) I don't think you'll find the Kapex to be quite as unique,
though.

About the lady, I suspect she was in her mid to late 60's retired and
loved woodworking for a hobby. She has the Kapex, both the large and
small Domino, track saw, sanders.....but no drill yet. ;~) She seemed
to walk the walk.

Was the German woman there? She gave a mean presentation of their
twitching tool. Almost convinced me it was worth the money. ;-)