Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF question

Trimming out an enclosed stairwell (to be carpeted) with 1x12x18ft mdf slipped between the stringers and drywall.
At both the bottom and top of the staircase I would like to end the diagonal trim with a vertical block, say 1x6x12", very slight chamfer on visible edges.
Problem, cannot find small chunk of mdf that is a full 1" thick. I've seen builders use a thicker horizontal board above doorways for accent.
This is Portland, OR and the best I can do is 5/4 lumber 8" wide, 16ft long and that would be a special order. Expensive!
Suggestions? Work-arounds? Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Trimming out an enclosed stairwell (to be carpeted) with 1x12x18ft mdf
slipped between the stringers and drywall.
At both the bottom and top of the staircase I would like to end the
diagonal trim with a vertical block, say 1x6x12", very slight chamfer on
visible edges.
Problem, cannot find small chunk of mdf that is a full 1" thick. I've seen
builders use a thicker horizontal board above doorways for accent.
This is Portland, OR and the best I can do is 5/4 lumber 8" wide, 16ft
long and that would be a special order. Expensive!
Suggestions? Work-arounds? Thanks!

Glue up two thinner pieces.

MDF shabby-chic garden sign -protecting the MDF? Jon Parker UK diy 9 June 10th 14 09:06 AM
MDF Question trvlnmny Woodworking 7 November 3rd 10 09:57 AM
MDF Question pegleg Woodworking 6 November 21st 06 11:53 PM
Question - bonding MDF to painted surface Dave Jenkens Woodworking 12 December 22nd 05 02:06 AM
8541 MDF Targets - MDF Under Extreme Use Tom Watson Woodworking 4 September 3rd 05 02:32 PM