Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF Question

I have been given some pieces of what I think is MDF. It is less than
1/8" thick and I can use more. Does MDF come this thin and where can I
get more?
Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, MDF can come that thin. You might
have hardboard as well.

You can usually tell MDF by its matte sheen,
and looking at the sides, you can see that there
are compressed "layers". Hardboard has a more
dense "shiny" sheen to it. It will feel very slippery.
MDF is smooth and has a more "grip" to it. All
subjective I know. Best would be to take
a piece of it and go to your supply house
and match it up.

How does it cut? Lots of dust? MDF throws
off dust like nothing and it gets everywhere. I
spend days cleaning up after I cut it.

Here's a great link to hardboard, with a pictu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard

Where to get more? Some of the big box
stores carry it. Check with your local cabinet
supply place - must be one nearby. They probably
carry it as well.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Yes, MDF can come that thin. You might
have hardboard as well.

Yes, could be hardboard with two smooth faces. The manufacturing processes
are different (one wet and one dry) but to the user there is not much
difference.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

I heard of a good one - forgot to mention.

Custom - have to ask for it - waterproof (different glue) MDF.

It is used outdoors in signs and such.