Tom Watson

Default 8541 MDF Targets - MDF Under Extreme Use

Our gun club has two meets a year.

About every third year we can get on a range that allows us to shoot
more than 600 yards.

We call these shoots our 8541 meets.

For a long time we shot straight military targets but the paper would
often flap in the wind.

This year we are shooting at 800 yards and we are gluing the paper
targets to 1/2" MDF.

This should settle down the wind factor.

I am making these targets.

I wish that I could figure out a way to cheat.

On Sunday evening I will give you a full report of how MDF stands up
to 30 caliber ammunition.

It is important to us wooddorkers to know how our materials stand up
to hard use.

(The club is restricted to shooters of the 1903-A3 Springfield - the
best rifle ever made)

watson - who hopes that Jim Clarke, who is 81 years old, will not kick
his ass again - too badly.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
WillR

Tom Watson wrote:
Our gun club has two meets a year.
=20
[...]

I have not considered designing a piece of furniture to make use of shot =

up MDF -- but should I decide to do so I will read your report with=20
great interest.

Enjoy yourself.

:-)

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Tom Watson

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:20:10 -0400, WillR wrote:

I have not considered designing a piece of furniture to make use of shot
up MDF -- but should I decide to do so I will read your report with
great interest.

Enjoy yourself.

:-)

Were you lucky enough to come across a piece of MDF that had been shot
up by Mr. Clarke, it would be in your best interest to incorporate it
into something that could be saved.

Other than Carlos Hathcock and Sergeant York, he's prolly the best
military shot on earth.

We have an event during our twice yearly meets that involves
trapshooting with rifles.

Five shots apiece from a regular trap range.

Last year, when he was 80, Mr. Clarke hit four.

I hit one.

I was damned lucky.

Mr. Clarke was a Marine Sniper on Tarawa and Okinawa, charged with the
RIF of enemy machine gun emplacements.

He was good enough at his job that he was allowed to send his personal
weapon home at the end of the conflict.

Something that was almost unheard of.

Not to mention, a Silver Star, and two PH's.

He got into our 1903 club because he still liked to shoot - but didn't
want to kill anything, anymore, including deer.

Don't play poker with him, either - he'll take all your matches.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Robert Allison

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

At one point in time, I worked at a shop that made hand made
antique looking furniture out of pine. To simulate the look
of worm holes, we would set the pieces out in the field behind
the shop and fire a few rounds of bird shot at them out of a
16 gauge shotgun.

After the barrage was over, it was time to put the finish on.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Bruce

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:51:54 -0600, Tom Watson wrote
(in article 1125708712.1db9fe8323bf77af4012da6a70ae0cb5@teran ews):

You'll need to brace/frame it with 2x4's.
If you get two holes in it and a gust of wind smacks it, the stuff will fold
(BTDT)

-Bruce