Electronics (alt.electronics)

Bob Morein

Default extreme low power transistor?

Can anyone point me in the direction of devices/manufacturers/data sheets
for a transistor capable of operating with extreme low power?

Stepan Novotill

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:09:01 -0400, "Bob Morein"
wrote:

Can anyone point me in the direction of devices/manufacturers/data sheets
for a transistor capable of operating with extreme low power?

Something with a small die. 2N5210 maybe?
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N5210.pdf
However most of the power dissipation is in the way the circuit is
designed. In the 70s, most smoke detectors were made using discretes,
either bipolar or the CMOS 4007 chip, and the batteries still lasted a
long time. I have schematics for a number of these and will post some
day.
You can use diodes as pullup resistors too. see:
http://members.shaw.ca/novotill/Sola...otor/index.htm
for an example of this.

Flyking

Point out you desired detail specification

flyking

"Bob Morein" wrote in message
Can anyone point me in the direction of devices/manufacturers/data sheets
for a transistor capable of operating with extreme low power?

Bob Morein

"Bob Morein" wrote in message
Can anyone point me in the direction of devices/manufacturers/data

sheets
for a transistor capable of operating with extreme low power?

I cannot, because I want the absolute lowest.
I have no spec.
Any info appreciated.

Bob Morein

wrote:

Can anyone point me in the direction of devices/manufacturers/data sheets
for a transistor capable of operating with extreme low power?

Something with a small die. 2N5210 maybe?
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N5210.pdf
However most of the power dissipation is in the way the circuit is
designed. In the 70s, most smoke detectors were made using discretes,
either bipolar or the CMOS 4007 chip, and the batteries still lasted a
long time. I have schematics for a number of these and will post some
day.
You can use diodes as pullup resistors too. see:
http://members.shaw.ca/novotill/Sola...otor/index.htm
for an example of this.

Judging by the maximum power dissipation of 600 mw, it would seem an even
smaller die is possible.
I'm interested in operation approaching the nanowatt level.
Possible?

Stepan Novotill

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:36:02 -0400, "Bob Morein"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

2N5210 has a very high hfe; I think you might need that when operating
at rediculously low collector currents and low collector voltages. It
is a fairly low power device to boot, and it's very easy to buy one.
I'm no expert though.

The circuit I linked to (above) runs on a few nA if a low leakage cap
is used, yet it uses very ordinary transistors, so yes it can be done.