Drew Eckhardt

Default Delta 17-965 drill press extreme vibration

I bought a Delta 17-965 16.5" drill press, put it together, and am experiencing
unacceptable vibration (the head shakes, the table shakes, everything shakes)
that didn't exist on the cheap Craftsman some electrical engineers put in
lab space I shared.

Belt tension makes some change but does not appreciably reduce it. With the
belts off there's a tiny amount from the motor. The belts are oval shaped as
shipped but don't seem to have a real set. Regardless of belt tension the
idler pulley bounces arround a lot. A straight edge across the pulleys shows
the spindle and motor pulleys are level but the idler pully is significantly
(1/4"?) below them. I have not yet put a dial indicator on anything to
look for runout.

Help!

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
Teamcasa

"Drew Eckhardt" wrote in message
[...]

The vibration is, more than likely the belt. Some new machines are coming
with an import belt that is just too stiff. Some would steer you to a link
belt however, I would either let the one you have run at high speed for a
while or replace it with a new regular automotive v-belt.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

I steer you toward the link belt. Go to the link belt... gooo..... I
could not balance a nickel on my TS and the motor would bob up and down
violently- I put a link belt on and viola- no more vibration. I can now
start, run, and stop the saw with a nickel balanced on its edge. Im
sure a dime would work too. Goooo to the link belt....

TOM

I just measured my 17-965, and the idler pulley is 3/32" lower than the
other
two, it runs very smoothly. I agree with the other posters it's not likely
to be
the problem. If the drill press is new call Delta.

-- Tom

[...]

Drew Eckhardt

In article , Teamcasa wrote:
The vibration is, more than likely the belt. Some new machines are coming
with an import belt that is just too stiff. Some would steer you to a link
belt however, I would either let the one you have run at high speed for a
while or replace it with a new regular automotive v-belt.

Auto shop V-belts changed the sounds some but did not reduce vibration
appreciably from what I had with the included belts.

With a link belt nothing knocks or rattles and the vibration is only a little
worse than with just the motor running without belts installed. This is
useable (nothing walks off the table) but still seems excessive.

I need some frame of reference as to what's expected...
--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
was $54,567, married couples' exemption $72,756, the next $363,783 was taxed
at 1%, and earnings over $9,094,578 were taxed at the top rate of 7%.
TeamCasa

"Drew Eckhardt"
Auto shop V-belts changed the sounds some but did not reduce vibration
appreciably from what I had with the included belts.

With a link belt nothing knocks or rattles and the vibration is only a
little
worse than with just the motor running without belts installed. This is
useable (nothing walks off the table) but still seems excessive.

I need some frame of reference as to what's expected...

Your DP should not have any significant vibration. My Delta 17-968 does not
have any vibration at all. Check for bent pulleys or shafts.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Drill Press Mini-Gloat Chris Wood Woodworking 2 April 18th 04 04:01 PM
Drill press sanding drums nbaxley Woodworking 6 April 15th 04 03:04 PM
Old Delta drill press part?? gattman Metalworking 4 March 28th 04 09:41 PM
Mill, drill machine Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho Metalworking 6 January 17th 04 09:34 PM
Tool sharpening in general ss Metalworking 4 October 28th 03 12:55 PM