TOM

I just measured my 17-965, and the idler pulley is 3/32" lower than the
other
two, it runs very smoothly. I agree with the other posters it's not likely
to be
the problem. If the drill press is new call Delta.

-- Tom

"Drew Eckhardt" wrote in message
I bought a Delta 17-965 16.5" drill press, put it together, and am
experiencing
unacceptable vibration (the head shakes, the table shakes, everything
shakes)
that didn't exist on the cheap Craftsman some electrical engineers put in
lab space I shared.

Belt tension makes some change but does not appreciably reduce it. With
the
belts off there's a tiny amount from the motor. The belts are oval shaped
as
shipped but don't seem to have a real set. Regardless of belt tension the
idler pulley bounces arround a lot. A straight edge across the pulleys
shows
the spindle and motor pulleys are level but the idler pully is
significantly
(1/4"?) below them. I have not yet put a dial indicator on anything to
look for runout.

Help!

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single