Posted to rec.woodworking

Default J.D. Wallace Radial Arm Saw

On Tuesday, May 18, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Grover Yowell wrote:
I just bought an old J.D. Wallace radial arm saw, and had the motor
reconditioned. After removing a light rust layer, have all the rotations of
the radial arm available. The only problem is that the reduction gear
attached to the front of the electric motor is noisy. Does anyone have any
info on this saw, and any idea where I might be able to find replacement
parts?

Thanks in advance.

Grover Yowell

I know you posted this a long time ago but tools seem to stay with us a while. I bought a Wallace radial arm saw a little over 40 years ago and still have it. In my opinion, yes, they are noisy! I think it is because of the gears, they have a high pitched whine that is amplified by the blade. But they sure cut good and are one of the few radial arm saws that will stay on a setting without moving!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 12:49:16 PM UTC-7, Wood Chuck wrote:
[...]

Hi Grover,

I have a Wallace RAS too. I think it's the gears that cause the unusual noise. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine and trying to find someone knowledgeable on these saws. I can't seem to find a way to get the bars that the motor slides on and the arm is elevated on apart. I'm not sure if they were made to ever be taken apart. If anyone out there knows if and how these come apart please let me know.

thanks
Joe