Old December 27th 04, 12:37 AM
Dooler

Default Radial arm saw vs. table saw. Tools for cabinetry?

I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is
25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to
do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power
saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200
table saw.

Also, what tools are recommended from someone starting out. I used to
do alot of woodworking years ago in school, but we had all the high
power/industrial tools (loved the $80,000 planner they had). Now,
don't have any tools except for miter, hand saw, and drill. I am
wanting to start making furniture, with first being entertainment
center.

Any recommendations or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
- Clayton

Old December 27th 04, 01:01 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dooler" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is
25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to
do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power
saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200
table saw.

Keep the RA for now. You don't want a $200 table saw. Really, you don't.

Old December 27th 04, 01:10 AM
Guess who

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:37:57 GMT, Dooler wrote:

I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is
25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to
do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power
saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200
table saw.

Also, what tools are recommended from someone starting out. I used to
do alot of woodworking years ago in school, but we had all the high
power/industrial tools (loved the $80,000 planner they had). Now,
don't have any tools except for miter, hand saw, and drill. I am
wanting to start making furniture, with first being entertainment
center.

Any recommendations or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Keep the RA. Save up for a good Table saw. Alternative ...Some
schools offer night courses, and you can use $80,000 equipment ..[that
one I'd like to see], their wood [you pay for it later] and their
advice ...it has been some time you say. My daughter still has the
walnut coffe table my wife made at a night course while I was studying
to finish university.

Old December 27th 04, 01:31 AM
Charlie Self

Edwin Pawlowski responds:

"Dooler" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is
25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to
do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power
saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200
table saw.

Keep the RA for now. You don't want a $200 table saw. Really, you don't.

Really, Ed's right. Work with the RAS for now. A 25 year old RAS in good shape
is better than a new $200 table saw.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Old December 27th 04, 03:45 AM
Rumpty

Keep the RAS and read the following book to learn how to use your RAS:

http://mrsawdust.com/

--

Rumpty

Old December 27th 04, 04:22 AM
BillyBob

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
Well, perhaps he doesn't want a NEW $200 table saw. I bought an older
Craftsman flex drive saw for $125 and put about $300 more into

refurbishment
and upgrades including a new rip fence and a carbide tipped blade.

I guess someone has to state the obvious. while we admire they value you
got for $425 and some hours of work, its still $225 over his budget, old or
new.

Bob

Old December 27th 04, 04:32 AM
Al Holstein

I have a 29 year old Craftmans RA that I am using. I used it to build
my own kitchen cabinets, without any problems. Ripped all of the
shelving and face frames, including oak trim for all of the shelves.

There are time that I would like to have a TS but don't want to give
the space in my garage. Have a drill press, band saw, and jointer and
have made it without a TS. But I only work as a hobby.

If I were to try and make more of woodworking than a hobby that I would
like to have one.

Al

Old December 27th 04, 04:43 AM
Dooler

Looks like a good book, might just buy it. Thanks.