Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter-Cable Querry

So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

I'm in need of a saw replacement and the local store has a deal going
on Porter-Cable. Buy the accessory kit for $99 and get a tool free.

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used
for only straight cuts. Stricly for used for occasional home stuff.
Which is more useful? Jigsaw or circular saw.

I'm looking at the battery ones because I find them lighter and easier
to control. My hands aren't what they used to be with arthritis.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2017 8:28 AM, Casper wrote:
So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

Not nearly as good as they used to be. And I do not think they have
ever been know for their jig saws. They used to build good sanders and
routers.

I'm in need of a saw replacement and the local store has a deal going
on Porter-Cable. Buy the accessory kit for $99 and get a tool free.

A good corded jig saw will cost you between $100-$200, Same for a
circular saw.

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used
for only straight cuts. Stricly for used for occasional home stuff.
Which is more useful? Jigsaw or circular saw.

Well that answer is going to be hard to answer. I find both equally
useful. It all depends on what you want to do the most, cut straight
lines or curved lines.

I'm looking at the battery ones because I find them lighter and easier
to control. My hands aren't what they used to be with arthritis.

I find the corded less heavy. Did you compare with a battery in the
tool? If you are an occasional user you might find that a corded will
always be ready to go, providing you have electricity. Battery will
always need to be charged and will eventually fail. Newer technology
Li-Ion batteries tend to last quite a long time, relatively speaking,
and tend to hold a charge longer when not being used.

Depending on your skill level and expectations, it is hard to go wrong
with a Bosch jaw. If you want mostly straight cuts and feel you might
benefit from very straight cuts take a look at circular saws that run
along a track. Pricey but some rival a table saw with accuracy,
straightness of cut, and quality of cut.

As Nailshooter mentioned in an earlier post, Ridgid offers a life time
warranty on their power tools including the batteries if you are careful
whth registration of the product.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:

Depending on your skill level and expectations, it is hard to go wrong
with a Bosch jaw.

Interesting contraction "jigsaw" - "jaw".

While I generally agree about the Bosch jigsaw, there's a little pot-metal
plate that's part of the base tilting mechanism that has a propensity
to break. Mine is currently awaiting time to search out a replacement
part.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't buy PC. I don't think the value is there, and guys that have bought the tool sets have taken them back. Batteries are poor, as well as performance.

If I was looking for an occasional tool and home use as you described, I would start here

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...1811/205651590

because if you buy the drill, you get one of these (or other offerings)free:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...P523/204824014

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...P507/205806375

So a nifty compact drill with two batteries and a charger, a case to wag it around in and a jig saw or circular saw.

I have used all of those tools and they work just fine. The 3 year warranty from Ryobi is the same as PC, but I have used the Ryobi warranty and with proper registration Ryobi was on the spot with their warranty support.

I have several Ryobi tools in the community tool bag and they have now been around for about three years now and they are still going strong. The weak spot on these is the batteries, but for occasional use they work well.

And now since Ryobi is coming out with so many other tools, you can expand your collection as needed. My electrician uses Ryobi tools a lot (drives a Mercedes panel van, uses Ryobi...) and he has a ton of their products like hand vacs, portable fans, and even an oscillating tool. He claims good service out of them all. I have several myself, and it started with this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...P883/203466914

Right now, you can get that kit for $129. I keep the recip saw around and use it a lot to saw an occasional hole, but also use it to trim trees, cut up heavy cardboard packing, and all kinds of other stuff. Even LIGHT demo. The circular saw has plenty of power for occasional 2x4s, and even small rips on plywood.

I bought that same set for an emergency repair when I knew I couldn't get across town in heavy traffic and back to the job in time to get the job done.. I liked the feel of the tools and the fact they did quite well on the repair, so I didn't take them back after using them. They are still in service.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 09:28:18 -0400, Casper
wrote:

So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

I'm in need of a saw replacement and the local store has a deal going
on Porter-Cable. Buy the accessory kit for $99 and get a tool free.

The new PCs aren't what they used to be, IMO. There are much better
brands out there.

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used
for only straight cuts. Stricly for used for occasional home stuff.
Which is more useful? Jigsaw or circular saw.

A *good* jig saw is really useful but I don't think it replaces a
circular saw, either. I've had several jig saws that could only cut
straight if I was trying to scroll. My Bosch is a really good one but
it's not cordless. I don't have a suggestion for an occasional use
jig cordless jig saw.

I'm looking at the battery ones because I find them lighter and easier
to control. My hands aren't what they used to be with arthritis.

Batteries aren't light, particularly something with enough juice for a
jig saw. Battery powered drills can be pretty light but I'd look
really hard at the saw. Make sure you put the battery in it when you
look (stores often don't have batteries on display).
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got an ancient corded Craftsman jigsaw but it is very heavy and,
now with my hand problems, hard to control or use for long.

I looked at several corded/cordless models and most new units seem
close in weight. Porter-Cable one has a low profile light battery.
Short battery, so shorter runtime but less weight.

I've used a circular saw 6-12 times in the last two decades. My
original Skil was loaned out and never returned. A couple years ago I
got an old metal Sears from family. It works but with diffculty.

I'd like to make some things that will require curved and round cuts.
However I may, on occasion, need to cut some straight lines. I was
hoping I could find a jigsaw (or other) that would fit that need.

All my other stuff I cut on a bandsaw. I rarely cut anything large,
except this year I will need to cut some T-11 and some plywood. For
that I may borrow or rent a tablesaw.

Is Bosch that much better? I don't want to spend $200++ for something
I will use occasionally. I'm not getting any younger and no one to
pass down. I'll see who locally has Bosch and check them out.

Any other brand worth looking at? I'll also check more corded units. I
don't have a problem with cords, just weight.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
[...]

For what you want and your useage I would beat a path to Harbor Freight.
You could get BOTH a saber and circle saw - cordless or corded - for well
under $100. There are those who say all HF tools are junk. There are those
who know not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 12:31:20 -0400, Casper
wrote:

I've got an ancient corded Craftsman jigsaw but it is very heavy and,
now with my hand problems, hard to control or use for long.

I looked at several corded/cordless models and most new units seem
close in weight. Porter-Cable one has a low profile light battery.
Short battery, so shorter runtime but less weight.

You're the best judge of this. If you think it feels lighter, it is.
The handle configuration makes a difference too and it's quite
personal.

I've used a circular saw 6-12 times in the last two decades. My
original Skil was loaned out and never returned. A couple years ago I
got an old metal Sears from family. It works but with diffculty.

I'd like to make some things that will require curved and round cuts.
However I may, on occasion, need to cut some straight lines. I was
hoping I could find a jigsaw (or other) that would fit that need.

All my other stuff I cut on a bandsaw. I rarely cut anything large,
except this year I will need to cut some T-11 and some plywood. For
that I may borrow or rent a tablesaw.

You're not going to want to cut T1-11 with a saber saw. I don't think
a table saw is the right tool, either. You'll have to moose the
panels around on the table. If you think the saw is heavy, you're not
going to like lifting a sheet of T1-11.

Is Bosch that much better? I don't want to spend $200++ for something
I will use occasionally. I'm not getting any younger and no one to
pass down. I'll see who locally has Bosch and check them out.

I think it is. I couldn't believe the difference when I bought my
Bosch. Others can chime in on some of the others but I would nix PC
and anything from Sears.

Any other brand worth looking at? I'll also check more corded units. I
don't have a problem with cords, just weight.

Festool? g
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

have no knowledge of current quality

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used

bosch makes a good jigsaw and it is around 70 or so

has quick change blades and other nice features like angle of attack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

have no knowledge of capitalization or punctuation

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used

bosch makes a good jigsaw and it is around 70 or so

Bosch is good but not at $70.

has quick change blades and other nice features like angle of attack

Most brands have the Bosch bayonet system now, even Festool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 8:45:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:

bosch makes a good jigsaw and it is around 70 or so

Bosch is good but not at $70.

Agree. At one time Bosch made the absolute best jig saw, but since they are all made in China now (and I haven't bought one in years) I couldn't say. However, the $70 model isn't the one you want.

I bought this one about 20 plus years ago, and I still can't kill it.

https://goo.gl/Njtm5F

It has been a great piece of equipment and has done everything from cabinet work to cutting 2X material on pergolas and gazebos. When I bought it they were still USA made, and I paid a little over $200 buck for it then! I actually purchased it after reading many great posts about the saw right here on the rec.

Most brands have the Bosch bayonet system now, even Festool.

Yeah, that's the only way to go. When I got my Bosch it was pretty rare, but it forced me to rethink buying quality blades (all that was available) over the Vermont American, and other junk I was used to using. I bought a package of the Bosch "Swiss filed" blades that were ground so pefectly that I started using them to cut formica as it didn't splinter the laminate.

Although the saw is quite a bit more ugly, it still performs as well as the day I got it.

Robert