Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter-Cable Querry

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 09:28:18 -0400, Casper
wrote:

So how good are Porter-Cable power tools?

I'm in need of a saw replacement and the local store has a deal going
on Porter-Cable. Buy the accessory kit for $99 and get a tool free.

The new PCs aren't what they used to be, IMO. There are much better
brands out there.

I have an ancient jigsaw and circular saw and I need to replace one. I
am leaning towards jigsaw. It's not going to see heavy use or be used
for only straight cuts. Stricly for used for occasional home stuff.
Which is more useful? Jigsaw or circular saw.

A *good* jig saw is really useful but I don't think it replaces a
circular saw, either. I've had several jig saws that could only cut
straight if I was trying to scroll. My Bosch is a really good one but
it's not cordless. I don't have a suggestion for an occasional use
jig cordless jig saw.

I'm looking at the battery ones because I find them lighter and easier
to control. My hands aren't what they used to be with arthritis.

Batteries aren't light, particularly something with enough juice for a
jig saw. Battery powered drills can be pretty light but I'd look
really hard at the saw. Make sure you put the battery in it when you
look (stores often don't have batteries on display).