Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Leon

Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks
--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved
square be most useful?

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

--

Interesting... I didn't have a problem, Idlehands. In fact, I saved the site for future reference, if I ever have the time to get my Lathe going. (Thanks Leon!)

I use Vipre for Internet protection. It's pretty sound, according to my IT guys.

Try opening a new browser and simply typing the site instead of connecting via link, maybe (?)

I don't pretend to be a computer guy, though!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

G Ross wrote in news
Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use.

think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved
square be most useful?

What do you like to turn most? The curved square might be good if you
like doing things with squareish edges, like straight sided bowls or
maybe lids. The round might be good if you do more spindle turning.

I found these guys, but haven't used their products at all:
http://eddiecastelin.com/combos_and_other_items

Might be a good alternative to Easy Wood Tools.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved
square be most useful?

I am not a turning guru. But these tools get the job done. IMHO the
round will allow more curves in your turnings. Curved straight for spindle
type turnings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

--

I would say "you" have a problem with your virus protection program.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 May 2017 22:49:37 -0500, Leon wrote:
The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

I would say "you" have a problem with your virus protection program.

I received a similar error too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.easywoodtools.com/

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

Kaspersky says the link is "safe according to the reputation data of Kaspersky VirusDesk"
https://virusdesk.kaspersky.com/

VirusTotal also says the link is clean:
https://www.virustotal.com/#url

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Here's the Lee Valley USA web page - for another reference
and you could perhaps save on shipping costs and/ or
you could save money if you have the "on sale" LV gift cards
from Cyber Monday ..

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...330,49233&ap=1

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

--

I would say "you" have a problem with your virus protection program.

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something*
going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently
with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

easywoodtools apparently does not use https.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook?
netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something*
going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently
with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:58:16 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook?
netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Netstat is blocked. ;-)

Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different
message.

Chrome: This site can't be reached, might be down or moved, etc.
IE: This page can't be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, etc.

IOW We get a "browser based" message as opposed to being re-directed to the
corporate "website is blocked by firm" message page. I don't know why they handle
Facebook (and Twitter) via the browsers.

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something*
going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently
with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook

Perhaps it's the "auto-connect", something that I am not familiar with since I don't use
Facebook. They all have links to Facebook on their pages. How is that different than the
"auto-connect" you speak of?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2017 8:47 PM, Leon wrote:
G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved
square be most useful?

I am not a turning guru. But these tools get the job done. IMHO the
round will allow more curves in your turnings. Curved straight for spindle
type turnings.

My first Easy Wood turning tool was one with the round tip (I turn
mostly pens and small objects like that). Still use it most of the
time, though I have since acquired a square-ended tip also. That one
seems to help when working on straight lines. Personally, I'd suggest
the round tip to start with.

HTH. Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook?
netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Netstat is blocked. ;-)

netstat isn't a URL, it's a command line tool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat
Windows: Run cmd
C:\netstat -a

Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different
message.

Actually, when visiting: http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Two seperate Facebook domains are opened (via https):
facebook.com and fbcdn.net https://en.wiki-domains.net/wiki/fbcdn.net
What kind of denial msg do you get with: https://www.fbcdn.net

Chrome: This site can't be reached, might be down or moved, etc.
IE: This page can't be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, etc.

IOW We get a "browser based" message as opposed to being re-directed to the
corporate "website is blocked by firm" message page. I don't know why they handle
Facebook (and Twitter) via the browsers.

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something*
going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently
with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook

Perhaps it's the "auto-connect", something that I am not familiar with since I don't use
Facebook.

Trust me, unless you're using a browser plugin such as NoScript (or
similar) to actively block, you "auto-connect" w/Facebook and/or a
hella lot more sites, whether intended or not, with most URLs nowadays.

They all have links to Facebook on their pages. How is that different than the
"auto-connect" you speak of?

Uh, because embedded links require 'clicking-on' before connecting

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry makes a tool with interchangeable heads. It accommodates square, diamond and round carbide or steel blades. Because of the mechanics of the interchangeable head you need to work a tad further from your piece. I have used this and dedicated carbide tools. While I prefer the dedicated tools, the three in one makes for an economical choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook?
netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Netstat is blocked. ;-)

netstat isn't a URL, it's a command line tool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat
Windows: Run cmd
C:\netstat -a

I know that netstat is a command line tool, but netstat.net is a URL. That
is blocked via the corporate "potential risk to the firm" page.

Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different
message.

Actually, when visiting: http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Two seperate Facebook domains are opened (via https):
facebook.com and fbcdn.net https://en.wiki-domains.net/wiki/fbcdn.net

What kind of denial msg do you get with: https://www.fbcdn.net

If I include the https:// I get the browser "page can't be reached" message.
Chrome adds ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED for all denials (fbcdn, Facebook, Twitter)

If I just use www.fbcden.net I get the corporate "potential risk to the
firm" page.

(With Facebook and Twitter I get the browser msg regardless of whether I
use the https:// or not.)

[...]

Uh, yeah, that I know. The question is: What is happening when a site
"auto-connects" to Facebook? I don't see anything, do anything, have an
account, etc. So what happens with/during my connection?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
Sorry makes a tool with interchangeable heads. It accommodates square, diamond and round carbide or steel blades. Because of the mechanics of the interchangeable head you need to work a tad further from your piece. I have used this and dedicated carbide tools. While I prefer the dedicated tools, the three in one makes for an economical choice.

Ordered one via Amazon from Hartville tools.

Thank you, Gramps!

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Uh, yeah, that I know. The question is: What is happening when a site
"auto-connects" to Facebook?

Well, in the case of www.easywoodtools.com, not much really.
It appears to just offer up their Facebook 'Like' widget thingy which
is located just under '100% satisfaction guaranteed stamp' (on my PC)

I don't see anything, do anything, have an
account, etc. So what happens with/during my connection?

Decide for yourself. In FF or Chrome goto http://www.easywoodtools.com
, press Ctrl+U (view page source) scroll down to line 126, study
it closely, then post your findings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2017 5:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:
Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I
think I will try it.
Thanks

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved
square be most useful?

Why not make your own?

I used a 4 sided carbide cutter insert that came with my planer from
Grizzly. Had some wrought iron railing laying around, hacked a short
piece off and ground a seat for the carbide insert. Drilled and tapped
a hole for the insert, turned a handle and wallah, a nice and easy
carbide lathe tool. Saved myself an easy $129 for about an hours (less)
of work. Works exactly as expected. Here's a pic if it:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LtoolP1080208.JPG

Grizzly sells the cutters in packs of 10 for $37 and since they are 4
sided, should last your lifetime, and your kids and grandkids lifetime
as well:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Inde...ce=grizzly.com

You probably could buy just one for under $5.00. Other cutters in
different shapes can be bought all over the place, although probably
more money.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 5/2/2017 5:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Great Idea.

--
GW Ross

Ping Leon Sonny Woodworking 13 April 10th 15 01:23 PM
Ping: Leon Bill[_47_] Woodworking 1 December 18th 14 01:17 PM
Ping Leon Sonny Woodworking 3 October 30th 14 11:16 PM
Leon's Desk... (ping Leon) Morris Dovey Woodworking 8 July 29th 08 01:49 PM
Ping Leon. stoutman Woodworking 16 March 2nd 06 05:13 AM