Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Ping Leon

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:58:16 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC.
When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as
containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more
of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT
security team doesn't like.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook?
netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Netstat is blocked. ;-)

netstat isn't a URL, it's a command line tool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat
Windows: Run cmd
C:\netstat -a

Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different
message.

Actually, when visiting: http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Two seperate Facebook domains are opened (via https):
facebook.com and fbcdn.net https://en.wiki-domains.net/wiki/fbcdn.net
What kind of denial msg do you get with: https://www.fbcdn.net

Chrome: This site can't be reached, might be down or moved, etc.
IE: This page can't be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, etc.

IOW We get a "browser based" message as opposed to being re-directed to the
corporate "website is blocked by firm" message page. I don't know why they handle
Facebook (and Twitter) via the browsers.

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something*
going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently
with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook

Perhaps it's the "auto-connect", something that I am not familiar with since I don't use
Facebook.

Trust me, unless you're using a browser plugin such as NoScript (or
similar) to actively block, you "auto-connect" w/Facebook and/or a
hella lot more sites, whether intended or not, with most URLs nowadays.

They all have links to Facebook on their pages. How is that different than the
"auto-connect" you speak of?

Uh, because embedded links require 'clicking-on' before connecting