Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do All Sliding Miter Saws Do This? 45° Cut vs. Blade Guard

Is this a "feature" (read: bad design) of my Bosch CM10GD miter saw or do all sliding saws have the following issue? This is just a curiosity question, not
something that would make me return the saw.

I was testing the saw and tried to make a 45° cut in a board that measures
exactly 1 1/8" thick by 7 1/8" wide. I positioned the board so that the cut
would begin about 5/8" from the end of the board. This was just a random
positioning, but in real life I might even use less so as to end up with
minimal waste.

Obviously, with a board of that width I had to use the sliding feature
of the saw. The cut was going fine until the bottom opening of the blade
guard got caught on the corner of the waste piece and stopped the saw from
sliding in any farther. Had I anticipated that problem, I would have used
the hold down clamp and had a free hand to lift the guard slightly so that
it wouldn't have gotten caught.

Is this common to all sliding miters or are there blade guard designs that
avoid catching the waste end of the board?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2017 4:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

3

Yes, it is a common problem and is not particular to sliding compound
miter saws. I had that issue more than once with my older Delta 12" non
slider compound miter saw, especially when making a bevel cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 6:16:36 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I thought so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:16:17 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Common problem with circular saws, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Just about every retractable blade safety gets in the way on some type of
job or another. Even using my circular saw there are some cuts where the
blade guard just always hangs up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 6:19:02 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Especially those pesky plunge cuts.. ;-)