Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what can a waterjet cut

seems that it can cut just about anything
not sure why wood is not on the list but would expect that it could
easily cut wood

Acrylic
Alloys
Aluminum
Bacon
Brass
Broccoli
Bronze
Cake
Carbon
Carbon Fiber
Cardboard
Celery
Ceramic
Chicken
Composites
Copper
Foam
Glass
Granite
Granola Bars
Inconel
Kevlar
Laminates
Lettuce
Marble
Meat
Paper
Plastics
Plexiglass
Polycarbonate
Polyurethane
Porcelain
Romaine Lettuce
Rubber
Stainless Steel
Steel
Stone
Textiles
Tile
Titanium
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message
news

seems that it can cut just about anything
not sure why wood is not on the list but would expect that it could
easily cut wood

It can easily cut wood, but typically its not just water. Its water and
fine abbrassives. I suspect the water and abbrassive grit would both have a
negative impact on the media and on second work.

For the cost I'd either run with CNC laser or CNC router for wood. Laser
for thin stuff like balsa wood kits and some types of engraving, and router
for everything else. Now go look up the relative costs. I could have
several decent CNC routers for the cost of one decent CNC waterjet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 12:38:59 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

It can easily cut wood, but typically its not just water. Its water
and fine abbrassives. I suspect the water and abbrassive grit would
both have a negative impact on the media and on second work.

for hard materials they do use abrasives for paper they use water
only and the stream diameter is less than a hair and the paper does
not get wet

do not know if wood cutting does the same or requires abrasives

For the cost I'd either run with CNC laser or CNC router for wood.
Laser for thin stuff like balsa wood kits and some types of
engraving, and router for everything else. Now go look up the
relative costs. I could have several decent CNC routers for the cost
of one decent CNC waterjet.

was looking at a used waterjet not to purchase
it is listed at 31000 but i think that was a 5x10 foot bed

a 5x10 cnc bed would be more than 31000

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

It can easily cut wood, but typically its not just water. Its water
and fine abbrassives. I suspect the water and abbrassive grit would
both have a negative impact on the media and on second work.

for hard materials they do use abrasives for paper they use water
only and the stream diameter is less than a hair and the paper does
not get wet

do not know if wood cutting does the same or requires abrasives

For the cost I'd either run with CNC laser or CNC router for wood.
Laser for thin stuff like balsa wood kits and some types of
engraving, and router for everything else. Now go look up the
relative costs. I could have several decent CNC routers for the cost
of one decent CNC waterjet.

was looking at a used waterjet not to purchase
it is listed at 31000 but i think that was a 5x10 foot bed

a 5x10 cnc bed would be more than 31000

A NEW 5x10 for a fair unit is going to only run about 15000-20000. A cheap
import can be had for a less. A top of the line might run in the mid or
even high 30s. Some even in the high 40s, but it has a lot of extra stuff
that a water jet doesn't really need like automatic tool changers 15hp
vacuum pump, zoned vacuum hold down table, and more.

I've run across a fair number of used CNC routers I could compare to, but
that should make the point.

I can buy several NEW cnc routers for the same cost as one NEW cnc waterjet.
Best part is the CNC router will do 3D work.

Anyway, you are comparing apples to kumquats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 15:13:49 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

thought new 5x10 were a lot more so waterjet is more as you say
but a waterjet cnc is more versatile than a traditional cnc

Anyway, you are comparing apples to kumquats.

you were the maker of comparisons

have seen ethcings and engravings done via waterjet in 3d

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

thought new 5x10 were a lot more so waterjet is more as you say
but a waterjet cnc is more versatile than a traditional cnc

Anyway, you are comparing apples to kumquats.

you were the maker of comparisons

You were comparing new of one to used of another. That's never a fair
comparison.

have seen ethcings and engravings done via waterjet in 3d

Where a water jet really shines is in stone and tile work.

P.S. Only 30K for a used waterjet would make me pretty nervous about its
condition, but I seen people get lucky before so who know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2017 1:38 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Electric Comet" wrote in message
news

seems that it can cut just about anything
not sure why wood is not on the list but would expect that it could
easily cut wood

It can easily cut wood, but typically its not just water. Its water and
fine abbrassives. I suspect the water and abbrassive grit would both have a
negative impact on the media and on second work.

Not to mention the wet mess. The platform that the wood sits on
channels the waste water but typically not before getting water all over
the work piece.

Water and finish cut wood makes for a terrible cut edge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:48:27 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

seems that it can cut just about anything
not sure why wood is not on the list but would expect that it could
easily cut wood

turns out plenty of people are using a waterjet to cut wood

with and without abrasives
where the abrasives are used for thick material