Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector remote oddity

Hey, all-- I could use your help.

I'm running a Shop Fox 1HP Dust collector on 240v. 60 Hz; only 1HP. Runs like a dream.

I picked up the PSI Long Ranger III DC Remote system. 220V. It's rated for 2&1/2 HP; 220V, 60 Hz. I'm running 240V; 60 Hz; only 1HP. I programmed the remote, plugged the Remote switch into the Outlet, and the DC into the switch. I turned my paddle switch on.

I hit the power button on my remote, I heard a click inside the box...

.... but nothing from the Collector.

Click on, Click off. No air movement. Paddle is ON.

I unplugged the DC, and plugged it direct into my outlet; ran like a dream, as usual.

I figured the switch was bad. I grabbed my voltage pen tester, turned everything on, and it reads hot all the way to the DC Motor. I hit the remote off; tester went off. remote off, no current. remote on, there's current..

The switch is working, the paddle is on, it's hot, and the remote works, but it's not firing the DC. What in heck is going on here?

Is it possible that the rating between the 220V of my switch and the 240v of the DC is really stopping this thing from going? My ignorant understanding is that 220v & 240v are widely interchangable.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2016 11:05 AM, Steve wrote:
[...]

if you have a meter, attach the meter to the long ranger receiver.
You should be getting 220 or 240 in the output. perhaps you are only
getting one leg (120v) through, meaning that the long ranger is only
wired for 120... if that's the case call them and find out what to do.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 11:17:00 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Thanks-- Great idea. I'll hit it with the tester. It IS a 220V receiver/switch... but yes, anything can go wrong in the wiring. Thanks again, Jeff!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 11:21:40 AM UTC-5, Steve wrote:
[...]

you are correct, sir-- Pos-neg read nothing, but pos-ground read 120. Probably as simple as opening it up & reconnecting a lead... but I don't think I'll be taking any chances with this one. Back it goes for a new model! Thank you again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 08:05:20 -0800 (PST), Steve
wrote:

[...]

No, that's not your problem. There is no "220V" service. It's all
"240V". Anything marked "220V" is really "240V". I suspect a motor
wiring error but it's impossible to debug this sort of thing over the
Internet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 08:41:13 -0800 (PST), Steve
wrote:

[...]

Hot to ground should read 120V. If it's a 240V supply, there should
be *two* hots, each reading 120V to ground and it should read 240V
hot-to-hot. If it reads 120V on both hot-to-grounds, and 0V between
the two hots, then your 220V circuit is wired improperly. You're not
connected to both sides of the mains. It's probably a miswire in the
breaker panel. The two hots should come from adjacent breaker slots
in the panel (with a double throw breaker). This all assumes that
your house has 240V available in the box.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks-- I follow and I absolutely appreciate your input, and yes, I'm using the wrong terms, so I thank you for the correction, esp. if someone after us finds a similar problem.

Hot-to-hot read 240 at the outlet. My receptacle is fine-- it's a problem in the PSI switch. There, hot to hot on the receiver/switch read literally nothing (yes, it was switched on.); I understand that there are two hots, but one wasn't. Therefore, I'm calling one pos & one neg (neutral, really, for precision), just as a default.

At the switch, pos "hot"-to-Ground on the receiver read 120; the "other (should be but wasn't) hot" to ground also read nothing.

From this, I gather that only one hot lead had correct contact in the box. Would you agree?

I'm returning the unit, and I'll post how the new one goes; Delivery is cited at "3 to 8 days." Thank you again.

-- and thanks for the confirmation that 220 is 240 is 220. That's what I had always thought, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The switch is defective. Seems one of the relays is open.

From this, I gather that only one hot lead had correct contact in the box. Would you agree?

Box? Do you mean the switch? I'd expect one of the relays (or
contacts) is defective. It could be a broken wire but it's not user
serviceable in any case.

I'm returning the unit, and I'll post how the new one goes; Delivery is cited at "3 to 8 days." Thank you again.

That's all you can do. PITA, I know.

-- and thanks for the confirmation that 220 is 240 is 220. That's what I had always thought, too.

Well, it's the other way around. ;-) "240V" is the correct
designation, just as "120V" is correct ("110V" no longer exists).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From this, I gather that only one hot lead had correct contact in the box. Would you agree?

Box? Do you mean the switch? I'd expect one of the relays (or
contacts) is defective. It could be a broken wire but it's not user
serviceable in any case.

I'm returning the unit, and I'll post how the new one goes; Delivery is cited at "3 to 8 days." Thank you again.

That's all you can do. PITA, I know.

-- and thanks for the confirmation that 220 is 240 is 220. That's what I had always thought, too.

Well, it's the other way around. ;-) "240V" is the correct
designation, just as "120V" is correct ("110V" no longer exists).

Sure it does. You can't have 120V with having 110V. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From this, I gather that only one hot lead had correct contact in the box. Would you agree?

Box? Do you mean the switch? I'd expect one of the relays (or
contacts) is defective. It could be a broken wire but it's not user
serviceable in any case.

I'm returning the unit, and I'll post how the new one goes; Delivery is cited at "3 to 8 days." Thank you again.

That's all you can do. PITA, I know.

-- and thanks for the confirmation that 220 is 240 is 220. That's what I had always thought, too.

Well, it's the other way around. ;-) "240V" is the correct
designation, just as "120V" is correct ("110V" no longer exists).

Sure it does. You can't have 120V with having 110V. ;-)

Notice the quotation marks. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 08:05:20 -0800 (PST)
Steve wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

my guess is that you have a heisenswitch in the circuit

in other words it behaves differently when you observe it