Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default Dust Collector remote oddity

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 08:05:20 -0800 (PST), Steve
wrote:

Hey, all-- I could use your help.

I'm running a Shop Fox 1HP Dust collector on 240v. 60 Hz; only 1HP. Runs like a dream.

I picked up the PSI Long Ranger III DC Remote system. 220V. It's rated for 2&1/2 HP; 220V, 60 Hz. I'm running 240V; 60 Hz; only 1HP. I programmed the remote, plugged the Remote switch into the Outlet, and the DC into the switch. I turned my paddle switch on.

I hit the power button on my remote, I heard a click inside the box...

... but nothing from the Collector.

Click on, Click off. No air movement. Paddle is ON.

I unplugged the DC, and plugged it direct into my outlet; ran like a dream, as usual.

I figured the switch was bad. I grabbed my voltage pen tester, turned everything on, and it reads hot all the way to the DC Motor. I hit the remote off; tester went off. remote off, no current. remote on, there's current.

The switch is working, the paddle is on, it's hot, and the remote works, but it's not firing the DC. What in heck is going on here?

Is it possible that the rating between the 220V of my switch and the 240v of the DC is really stopping this thing from going? My ignorant understanding is that 220v & 240v are widely interchangable.

No, that's not your problem. There is no "220V" service. It's all
"240V". Anything marked "220V" is really "240V". I suspect a motor
wiring error but it's impossible to debug this sort of thing over the
Internet.