Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung TV remote oddity

Its the bedroom TV, about 4 years old and the remote is giving issues.
The symptoms seem to suggest it seems to go into a sleep mode, from
which it is reluctant to wake fully from.

Press the power button and its transmit warning light gives a brief
flicker, press its light button (it has a button to light up the
remote's main buttons) and it will light up and stay on until it times
out, press the TV button (it can operate other Samsung equipment) and
it will give a brief flicker. Persist with button pressing and it will
appear to fully wake up and work normally and continue to work normally
for the rest of the viewing session. Next evening, I have to go through
a similar process. I've replaced the batteries and the TV /remote is
little used. Normal is pressing the power button, the remote flashes
its LED continuously until the button is released and the TV's own LED
flashes to indicate it is receiving the command.

Not something I have come across before, is there something I'm missing
please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 04/12/2013 15:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Check the reservoir cap? Probably not since it still does it fresh
batteries, but my general rule is Samsung - check caps whatever the
issue is

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are over 70 then press the buttons really hard whilst waving the
remote aggressively at the TV.

Sorry - no real suggestions,

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sadly can't help, only sympathise.

I have a Samsung smart pvr and the remote seems to have a mind of its
own. Generally works in the end but the most common issue is that
sometimes it turns on the pvr and the TV on the main power button then,
after a while, stops doing that. It doesn't lose its 'tune' to the TV,
as a separate button will turn it on/off, but I can't see that anything
systematic causes its changes in behaviour and I certainly can't
simulate the changes.
Fortuantely, I bought the pvr from Richer Sounds, along with their 5yr
guarantee, and I've already swapped the remote once under this.
I'm hoping it will conk out properly within the next 3-odd years, as the
manager (discussed with him since buying) reckons they can't be arsed to
try repairing under the guarantee and just give an 'equivalent'
replacement. By now, the 'equivalent' should be significantly better....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 04/12/2013, GMM supposed :
[...]

Not just mine behaving strangely then - thanks!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it's in the bedroom, no wonder its going into sleep mode, I know I
would, lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob H presented the following explanation :
[...]

I had not thought of that lol

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grotty contacts under the buttons affected by temperature or moisture. I
once too a remote apart after it failed and was rather bemused to see that
the connection between the bits of the switch under the buttons seemed to
be either a bit of conductive foam pressed into grooves in a pcb, or some
kind of graphite stuff on the bottom of the buttons shorting out pads on
the pcb. The two methods seemed to be uses one on rockers and the other on
the little ones.
Its no wonder these go wrong so often.
I proved it was the remote by using a light detector from the RNBIB which
could p bleep when a remote was aimed at it int eh dark. The good buttons
produced a stream of pulsed clusters, and the dodgy ones just a blip or
nothing at all. sometimes rocking the buttons made them work.

Crap.
Brian

Email:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
Grotty contacts under the buttons affected by temperature or moisture. I once
too a remote apart after it failed and was rather bemused to see that the
connection between the bits of the switch under the buttons seemed to be
either a bit of conductive foam pressed into grooves in a pcb, or some kind
of graphite stuff on the bottom of the buttons shorting out pads on the pcb.
The two methods seemed to be uses one on rockers and the other on the little
ones.
Its no wonder these go wrong so often.

I've not pulled it apart, but I have had that problem before with other
handsets and this is not the similar.

Once it seems to 'wake up', it works perfectly. It have an indication
when it is transmitting on the remote and TV, they just show a brief
glimmer then nothing. Point it at an IR sensitive camera and it shows
nothing until it 'wakes up'.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 06/12/2013 19:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've not pulled it apart, but I have had that problem before with other
handsets and this is not the similar.

Once it seems to 'wake up', it works perfectly. It have an indication
when it is transmitting on the remote and TV, they just show a brief
glimmer then nothing. Point it at an IR sensitive camera and it shows
nothing until it 'wakes up'.

If you do pull it apart, 'scope the voltage at the main IC in both
states - I'm going to hazard a guess that there is a voltage drop
causing a reset issue.

I'd still suggest changing the cap, cleaning the battery contacts and
trying fresh alkalines.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung TV remote oddity - Work Around

Harry Bloomfield explained on 12/4/2013 :
[...]

The other evening, rather than struggle to turn it on using the remote,
I decided to save a bit of time by turning it on by the touch button at
the TV. The remote then seemed to work absolutely fine. How or why it
should suddenly start to work just because I manually switched it on, I
don't quite understand - unless this TV provides some feedback to the
remote - no silly idea(?)/.

For the past three evenings, before pressing the power button on the
remote, I have pressed one of the lower rows of buttons. The remote has
then seemed to work perfectly normally, but it may have worked normaly
anyway just pressing the power button.

Test for the next few evenings is just to press the power button first
and see what happens.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The other evening, rather than struggle to turn it on using the remote,
I decided to save a bit of time by turning it on by the touch button at
the TV. The remote then seemed to work absolutely fine. How or why it
should suddenly start to work just because I manually switched it on, I
don't quite understand

Could the button on the TV have been left wedged on, and you pressing it
cleared that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The other evening, rather than struggle to turn it on using the remote,
I decided to save a bit of time by turning it on by the touch button at
the TV. The remote then seemed to work absolutely fine. How or why it
should suddenly start to work just because I manually switched it on, I
don't quite understand

Could the button on the TV have been left wedged on, and you pressing it
cleared that?

No, on the TV the are not actual buttons - just a mark on the plastic
of the case where you touch it with a finger tip.

The remote normally flashes the keypad, while ever and for as long as
you keep a button pressed. The TV also has a red LED which flashes when
it receives a valid signal.

When it didn't work, the keypad on the remote would just give one brief
flash then nothing.

For several evenings, I found that if I just pressed various buttons on
the remote, it would come back to life and then work perfectly normally
for the rest of the evening.

On Monday evening, rather than messing about with the remote, I would
use the on touch 'button' on the TV. After which the remote worked fine
straight away - which is what is puzzling me so much, because it
suggests some feedback from the TV to the remote, unless it was just
coincidence.

As said, I will just try pressing the remote to turn it on this
evening, as I normally would and see what the result is.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

have you changed the batteries?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 11/12/2013, dennis@home supposed :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Yes and tested the batteries. As said, it just seems to go into some
sort of sleep mode and proves difficult to wake up. Once awake, it
works perfectly.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield formulated the question :
[...]

After weeks of experimenting with this remote control, I seem to have
found a work around, which has worked 6 times in succession...

If I press the button which illuminates the buttons and whilst still
pressing that button, breifly press the on button, then release both
and again press the on button - the remote then works perfectly.

How terribly weird!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Spot the oddity Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] UK diy 9 August 12th 13 10:19 PM
GU10 oddity Iain UK diy 21 February 22nd 13 12:41 PM
Thoughts on this little oddity, anyone ...? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 44 November 13th 11 03:11 PM
Doorbell Oddity Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 5 October 9th 08 06:36 AM
Samsung TXK2750 Poor Remote Sensitivity Chris F. Electronics Repair 1 November 4th 06 03:05 PM