Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop lights

Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 10:28 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.

I have 16, T8 4' tubes in my 3 car garage.
If I had it to do all over again I might go wit these. My wife has one
in her sewing studio over her cutting table and it is perfect. I have
two more on order to go into my shop.

http://www.rockler.com/led-shop-light-with-shroud

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.

The mainest thing is the ballast. I had T12's with the old style
ballasts and they would fart around and blink and give poor light in
the winter. Changed them to T8 with electronic ballast. They pop
right on, even on cold mornings and including the one in the outside shed.

--
GW Ross

Dyslexics have more fnu.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/16 10:28 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

Look at LED! I couldn't be happier with the Feit LED shop lights I got
from Costco. They now sell separate LED "tubes" for retrofit in
existing fixtures.

They use a fraction of the energy, run much cooler, and produce
wonderful, cool, light, with no ugly green tint like most florescent
tube.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 10:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/12/16 10:28 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube
4 footers.

Look at LED! I couldn't be happier with the Feit LED shop lights I
got from Costco. They now sell separate LED "tubes" for retrofit in
existing fixtures.

They use a fraction of the energy, run much cooler, and produce
wonderful, cool, light, with no ugly green tint like most florescent
tube.

Yeah, what Mike said!

I switched to LED shop lights in the garage over a year ago and could
not be happier. Instant on at full throttle even in the coldest weather.

More light than I've EVER gotten from fluorescent tubes of any ilk.

Currently carried at $59.99 for a two pack of the 4' x two "lamp"
hanging fixtures as shown here.

http://tinyurl.com/jmph7bm

The fixtures look like regular fluorescent shop lights (more or less)
but they are thinner and lighter. They can be interconnected or hung
individually. Try them, you won't regret it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 10:44 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

The mainest thing is the ballast. I had T12's with the old style
ballasts and they would fart around and blink and give poor light in the
winter. Changed them to T8 with electronic ballast. They pop right on,
even on cold mornings and including the one in the outside shed.

My T8 with electronic ballasts do come on instantly but in cold weather
they are dim until warmed up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a PDF, takes
a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you want max
light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a PDF, takes
a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you want max
light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

If you want good information about rapidly
changing technology, don't read a three year old
government report.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in
:

Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

The mainest thing is the ballast. I had T12's with the old style
ballasts and they would fart around and blink and give poor light in
the winter. Changed them to T8 with electronic ballast. They pop
right on, even on cold mornings and including the one in the outside
shed.

The old ballasts buzz and while I couldn't see the 60 Hz flicker (some
people can) they'd tire my eyes. New electronic ballasts (low temperature
starting and instant on are good clues) are so much better.

You can get different color temperatures too, the 6500K "daylight" bulbs
seem so much brighter than the 2800K "warm white" and use the same amount
of electricity.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 1:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a PDF, takes
a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you want max
light, use fluorescent (use electronic ballast)

Even ignoring the age of the report, I don't see how you reached that
conclusion. Quoting from the report:

"Dedicated LED troffers are ready to compete with fluorescent troffers
in terms of efficacy (lumens per watt [lm/W]), and in many lighting
quality issues such as glare, light distribution, visual appearance, and
color quality.
That is not to say that each one is stellar, but each one tested in this
CALiPER study bested the fluorescent benchmarks in terms of efficacy,
and almost all were rated highly in several categories—only one
luminaire of twelve performed consistently poorly."

and

"To summarize the experience of the observers, “LEDs have not improved
recessed troffers. But they have made them more efficient.”

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you want
max light, use more LEDs.

My fluorescent are being replaced with (non-ballasted) LEDs in the house
and shop just as fast as I use up my stock of fluorescent bulbs. I wish
the stockpile was smaller, but the upside is that LEDs are still getting
less expensive. If I were buying new lights, I would not even look at
fluorescent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:28:22 -0800 (PST), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.

I think the color temperature is a more important decision. I like
the 6500K tubes for work areas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the Costco leds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/16 12:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube
4 footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a
PDF, takes a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you
want max light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.
My shop is brighter than daylight and I'm using less than 1/2 the energy
of fluorescent tubes.

Notice the date of that study. LED technology is improving at a rate
that rivals solid state memory storage.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 11:28 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.

T8
Or for old eyes, maybe LED 4 footers which are brighter.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the Costco
leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in the
long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their life
expectancy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 1:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a PDF, takes
a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you want max
light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

That report is ancient. 2013 is old considering the rate of change of
LED lighting.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 17:53:54 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 12:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube
4 footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a
PDF, takes a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you
want max light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.

Color temperature matters a lot. Try tubes with the same lumens at
2700K and 6500K, and you'll see a big difference. That's not to say
that fluorescents are better but all lumens are not created equal. ;-)

My shop is brighter than daylight and I'm using less than 1/2 the energy
of fluorescent tubes.

Notice the date of that study. LED technology is improving at a rate
that rivals solid state memory storage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 18:02:35 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the Costco
leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in the
long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their life
expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and another
pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than incandescent bulbs in
the last five years, despite being outnumbered at least 3:1.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 7:56 PM, krw wrote:

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.

Color temperature matters a lot. Try tubes with the same lumens at
2700K and 6500K, and you'll see a big difference. That's not to say
that fluorescents are better but all lumens are not created equal. ;-)

The 6500k are often called "daylight". My preference too

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the
Costco leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in
the long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their
life expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and another
pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than incandescent bulbs
in the last five years, despite being outnumbered at least 3:1.

But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12?
Probably going with 2-tube 4 footers.

Definitely T8 bulbs with electronic ballasts!

I upgraded the lights in my garage shop earlier this year:

http://www.watsondiy.com/20160201-shoplights.htm

I already had four T8 fluorescent fixtures that I installed when I built
the garage. So, I just added six more fluorescent fixtures.

I switched most of the lights in our house to LED, so I was hoping to use
LED fixtures in the garage too. Unfortunately, the equivalent LED shop
lights put out less light (fewer lumens), and cost twice as much as
fluorescent fixtures. So I stayed with the fluorescent lights.

LED bulbs should last longer, but my fluorescent bulbs were still working
fine after 16 years. So the longer life didn't make much difference to me.

LED bulbs use less energy, but my shop lights are usually on 10-20 hours a
month at most. So any power savings would be so minimal it wasn't worth the
additional cost.

LED fixtures can "appear" brighter, but that's usually just because the
light is whiter. The actual lumen output is usually lower.

You can buy fluorescent bulbs in various color ratings too.

3000K "Warm White" bulbs have reddish tint that mimics a standard
incandescent bulb.

6000K "Daylight" bulbs have a bluish tint that can make the light appear
brighter. But I find them to be a little too blue and cold feeling.

I opted for 5000K "Natural" bulbs which seem just about perfect. Not too
orange, and not too blue. Just a nice bright white light.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
news
But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

My fluorescent experiences...

Business location #1, 13 years, never changed a tube

Business location #2, 16 years, never changed a tube

Current residence, 20 years, about half have been changed/replaced

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the
Costco leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in
the long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their
life expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and another
pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than incandescent bulbs
in the last five years, despite being outnumbered at least 3:1.

But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

I find glad resent love gating iffy. Our home is 6 years old and I have
had to change the fluorescent tubes in the class set and laundry room two
times.
2 weeks after moving in I installed 4, 4 tube floor resent lights fixtures
in the garage. In 6 years I have not had to replace any of the T8 bulbs
but have had to replace 2 electronic ballasts in 2 of the fixtures. Go
figure.
I think the ballasts have a lot to do with tube life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the
Costco leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in
the long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their
life expectancy.

I don't buy the advertised life of any lighting. I just and another
pig tail die today. I've lost more of them than incandescent bulbs
in the last five years, despite being outnumbered at least 3:1.

But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

I find glad resent love gating iffy.

Jeeeeeeez. I find fluorescent lighting iffy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2016 7:31 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
news
But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

My fluorescent experiences...

Business location #1, 13 years, never changed a tube

Business location #2, 16 years, never changed a tube

Current residence, 20 years, about half have been changed/replaced

Eight years ago we had all our fixtures replaced with high efficiency
fluorescent fixtures. Some are 4 light, others 6 light. So far about
25% have been replace and I'm going to order another hundred lights.
Also a half dozen ballasts have been replaced.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2016 9:08 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote:

[...]

And what about the "in the class set and laundry room two" ????
Don't you hate the spell checkers on cell phones?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/13/2016 9:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:

And what about the "in the class set and laundry room two" ????
Don't you hate the spell checkers on cell phones?

Grammar ain't spelling...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hitting the bottle early today Leon 8^)

Ballasts are key to good fluorescent tube life. Cheap electronic
ballasts are tube killers, it basically comes down to how much of the
phosphor coating is blasted away at the tube ends when they start up. It
is tough to beat a quality old-school transformer ballast, though they
suck at efficiency.
The tubes lose 10% of their brightness within the first few hours of
operation. LEDs are not much more efficient...yet. there are LEDs that
are more than double the efficiency, but they have not yet trickled into
commercial products at low price points quite yet (soon!). The LED
retrofit tubes gain there efficiency claims over florescent tubes simply
from having all the light directed downwards, no losses from having 1/2
the light reach the floor via the fixtures reflectors (and they don't
have the sharp initial lumen drop-off that florescents experience).

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-11-12 16:49:37 +0000, -MIKE- said:

On 11/12/16 10:28 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube 4
footers.

Look at LED! I couldn't be happier with the Feit LED shop lights I got
from Costco. They now sell separate LED "tubes" for retrofit in
existing fixtures.

They use a fraction of the energy, run much cooler, and produce
wonderful, cool, light, with no ugly green tint like most florescent
tube.

The Feit LEDs are a great option, it's what I went with

I've nearly tripled the light in the shop since I set it up. Our eyes
need more light as we age

Also florescents produce -less- light as they age

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2016 9:48 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:F9SdnS5J5KM9VbrFnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 11/12/2016 7:56 PM, krw wrote:

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.

Color temperature matters a lot. Try tubes with the same lumens at
2700K and 6500K, and you'll see a big difference. That's not to say
that fluorescents are better but all lumens are not created equal. ;-)

The 6500k are often called "daylight". My preference too

Be careful, though, as daylight might be only 6000K or even 5000K. The
term's unregulated, so marketers will stick it to anything even close to
hopefully capitolize on its popularity.

Puckdropper

... yes, as shown he
https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/w...ture-Chart.jpg

Color temp is a individual preference thing. Even though 6500K does
appear marginally brighter, the unmistakable blue hue isn't for me. IMO
the sweet spot is in the 4000K/5000K range.

It is an odd thing to comprehend. I used to hate LED lights, they ALL
looked blue and did not seem to have any illumination compared to
incandescent. I'm talking many years ago when LED flash lights were
first showing up.

Fast forward and LED's lights now use, in many cases, yellow filters to
filter out the blue.

I have Phillips Alto Daylight 6500K T8's in my shop, 16 of them, and I
see no blue at all. BUT I just replaced the florescent screw in ceiling
bulbs in my shop to supplement the T8's and the lamps seem to cast a
slight touch of blue off of our white freezer. That was not there with
just the T8's. The new LED screw in lamps are 3700K, Go figure. I
guess they don't have enough yellow filter .

https://goo.gl/cH3rUx

https://goo.gl/VmyoK3

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 6:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the Costco
leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in the
long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their life
expectancy.

I am hoping that will be true. I have switched out 5 PAR40 incandescent
bulbs in our kitchen to Feit LED about a year ago. One of the bulbs has
already failed, fortunately Feit sent me a replacement.

Also we have 9 ceiling fans in our home, all but 1 have 4 candelabra
incandescent lamps, 32 of those suckers. Unfortunately they are more
for looks than longevity. Anyway I have replaced 8 lamps with LED
candelabra bulbs in the 2 fans that we typically have on most of the
day. I hope they last! :!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

In the closet and laundry room two times. LOL.

It was the iPad this time ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2016 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/13/2016 9:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:

And what about the "in the class set and laundry room two" ????
Don't you hate the spell checkers on cell phones?

Grammar ain't spelling...

LOL. A little bit spell'n and a little bit of taking my comment out of
context.

Should have said, in the closet and laundry room two times. "Times" was
on the next line, but left out. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2016 10:01 AM, Brewster wrote:
wrote:

[...]

One would think. LOL

Ballasts are key to good fluorescent tube life. Cheap electronic
ballasts are tube killers, it basically comes down to how much of the
phosphor coating is blasted away at the tube ends when they start up. It
is tough to beat a quality old-school transformer ballast, though they
suck at efficiency.

I have always been told this but oddly I have had two electronic
ballasts fail long before the 6 year old bulbs. I guess these ballasts
just out right suddenly failed vs. slowly dying and showing signs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/16 6:31 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
news
But it's not even a debatable issue.
My LED's have already outlasted any fluorescent tubes I've ever had by
at least 2 fold.
I would bet the farm that I'll get another 10 years out of them.
A safe guess would be 20.

I've never had a tube last more than 18 months without starting to fail.

My fluorescent experiences...

Business location #1, 13 years, never changed a tube

Business location #2, 16 years, never changed a tube

Current residence, 20 years, about half have been changed/replaced

Well, we both had very different experiences.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/16 10:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/12/16 5:52 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks. Fluorescents are cheaper, but I have decided on the Costco
leds.

They may be cheaper to buy, but the LEDs will be a LOT cheaper in the
long run when you consider their energy consumption AND their life
expectancy.

I am hoping that will be true. I have switched out 5 PAR40 incandescent
bulbs in our kitchen to Feit LED about a year ago. One of the bulbs has
already failed, fortunately Feit sent me a replacement.

Also we have 9 ceiling fans in our home, all but 1 have 4 candelabra
incandescent lamps, 32 of those suckers. Unfortunately they are more
for looks than longevity. Anyway I have replaced 8 lamps with LED
candelabra bulbs in the 2 fans that we typically have on most of the
day. I hope they last! :!)

Unfortunately, the tubes and bulbs are apples and oranges, somewhat.
I think there's more room in the tubes fixtures for the electronics and
heat dissipation.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

LED shop lights [email protected] Home Repair 9 September 29th 15 06:15 AM
LED Shop Lights Tim Wescott[_5_] Metalworking 17 August 9th 14 02:29 AM
Shop lights Mike O. Woodworking 5 September 2nd 09 09:04 PM
Shop lights stryped[_3_] Metalworking 22 July 14th 09 09:58 PM
Shop lights shawn Home Repair 0 September 7th 06 04:17 AM