Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default Shop lights

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 17:53:54 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/12/16 12:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Need to add some lighting. T8 or T12? Probably going with 2-tube
4 footers.

More - probably - than you'll ever need/want to know (downloads a
PDF, takes a while).
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...offer_2013.pdf

To paraphrase it, if you want to save electricity, use LED; if you
want max light, use flourescent (use electronic ballast)

My actual experience would contradict that.
Lumens are lumens.

Color temperature matters a lot. Try tubes with the same lumens at
2700K and 6500K, and you'll see a big difference. That's not to say
that fluorescents are better but all lumens are not created equal. ;-)

My shop is brighter than daylight and I'm using less than 1/2 the energy
of fluorescent tubes.

Notice the date of that study. LED technology is improving at a rate
that rivals solid state memory storage.