Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Swingman's Plywood Rack

I built a version of Swingman's plywood rack as shown here (Swingman's
work, not mine):

Dimensions:

https://goo.gl/photos/MovXFYg912iNjk6k8

As Built:

https://goo.gl/photos/985tx96GAFJai1ky6

I followed the same basic dimensions as shown, but put mine up on
casters. This allows me to move and angle the rack to get at material
while storing tight to the wall under my wood storage. The only issue is
the casters raised the rack significantly and blocked one of the outlets
I had hoped not to. Oh well, a heavy duty extension cord solved that.
The rack did show a tendency to tip with a piece of Melamine-covered MDF
on it, but once loaded with other plywood it was fine.

The front railing was just the right height. It allowed me to raise a
piece of plywood over it to set it on the rack while still being tall
enough to keep pieces from falling over.

Thanks Swingman!

(Aside: Weather) Wow, jelly bean (the good ones, not those tiny poorly
flavored jelly bellys) sized hail and it's dark at 5:00. It hasn't been
getting fully dark until 6:30.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/2016 5:06 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

You're most welcome. Glad the drawings came in handy!

Bon appetite!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 5:06:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The only issue is
the casters raised the rack significantly and blocked one of the outlets
I had hoped not to.

Drill a hole in the plies.

Glad it worked out. I may build one, with casters, soon. I need a movable sheetgoods cart.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

It looks similar to the one I built a few years ago. Two comments about it..

#1 I double sided the cart. One side is like yours and used for smaller cutoffs. The other side has a 3 1/2" lip on the bottom and is used to store full and partial sheets. The whole thing is about 12" wide.

#2 I have a small shop (12x24) and used steel casters (knowing the load it would have on it, I did not want to risk flat siding rubber ones). The ability to swing the plywood cart up against the wall, where it is out of the way, but still giving full double sided storage, is a God send.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/2016 7:39 PM, Sonny wrote:

Glad it worked out. I may build one, with casters, soon. I need a movable sheetgoods cart.

Here is the cart I built on wheels. It holds a ton of stuff, plywood,
lumber and shorts. It takes up no wall space and is surprisingly
compact. It is on wheels but I should have used steel wheels. I never
move the thing but the wheels need to be sturdy and not flatten out, so
steel it should be. Also, I put 2 wheels in the middle and one on each
end, like the lumber carts at Home Depot.

I located it next to my TS and that makes it super easy to pick out and
store stuff. Also the lumber slots make a great place to stuff my TS
fence when removed from the saw. Here is a sketchup and a built photo.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart3.jpg

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/16 11:06 AM, Jack wrote:
On 11/2/2016 7:39 PM, Sonny wrote:

Glad it worked out. I may build one, with casters, soon. I need a
movable sheetgoods cart.

Here is the cart I built on wheels. It holds a ton of stuff, plywood,
lumber and shorts. It takes up no wall space and is surprisingly
compact. It is on wheels but I should have used steel wheels. I never
move the thing but the wheels need to be sturdy and not flatten out, so
steel it should be. Also, I put 2 wheels in the middle and one on each
end, like the lumber carts at Home Depot.

I located it next to my TS and that makes it super easy to pick out and
store stuff. Also the lumber slots make a great place to stuff my TS
fence when removed from the saw. Here is a sketchup and a built photo.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart3.jpg

That really is a great design.
I'll have to make one when I move the shop out to my sharn.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--