Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Solar kiln framing questions

I'm making this solar kiln.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

My kiln is smaller, 8' X 4'. I haven't done much framing in my life, so I'm a little at sea, although it looks pretty straightforward. But I do have two questions.

On page 9 of these plans -- North wall frame and doors -- the plans call for a 2x8 across the frame. I have two questions. 1) Since I am making a smaller version, will a 2 X 6 do for this piece? (I have one handy. That's why I'm asking. And 2), are there two 2X8s in this plan fastened together. The reason I'm wondering is that if there is just 1, I'm not sure how the doors close flush.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down with mistakes.

Any other advice appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 14:45:40 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I'm making this solar kiln.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

My kiln is smaller, 8' X 4'. I haven't done much framing in my life, so I'm a little at sea, although it looks pretty straightforward. But I do have two questions.

On page 9 of these plans -- North wall frame and doors -- the plans call for a 2x8 across the frame. I have two questions. 1) Since I am making a smaller version, will a 2 X 6 do for this piece? (I have one handy. That's why I'm asking. And 2), are there two 2X8s in this plan fastened together. The reason I'm wondering is that if there is just 1, I'm not sure how the doors close flush.

I would think a 2x6 would be plenty since yours is half the span.
There should be two, here. With 2x4 walls, I put a piece of 1/2" ply
between them That gives 2 X 1.5" + 1/2" = the width of a 2x4. Then a
crapload of nails pounded both directions through the assembly.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down with mistakes.

This really isn't a woodworking question but since it's a kiln. ;-)

Any other advice appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Forgot: Glue the plywood between the 2x6s, too. It'll be *plenty*
strong.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down with mistakes.

This really isn't a woodworking question but since it's a kiln. ;-)

Any other advice appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated.

You're welcome.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/2016 5:45 PM, Michael wrote:
I'm making this solar kiln.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

My kiln is smaller, 8' X 4'. I haven't done much framing in my life, so I'm a little at sea, although it looks pretty straightforward. But I do have two questions.

On page 9 of these plans -- North wall frame and doors -- the plans call for a 2x8 across the frame. I have two questions. 1) Since I am making a smaller version, will a 2 X 6 do for this piece? (I have one handy. That's why I'm asking. And 2), are there two 2X8s in this plan fastened together. The reason I'm wondering is that if there is just 1, I'm not sure how the doors close flush.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down with mistakes.

Any other advice appreciated as well.

Thanks,

What to size the floor joists depends on the span, the type of wood, the
weight it is expected to hold. You can calculate it yourself he

http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/c...tware/spancalc

Myself, I often find these calculators are over cautious, particularly
when if it fails, all that happens is a pile of lumber falls a few
inches to the ground. Myself, I'd use the 2x6's, in fact, looking at the
picture, the joists are sitting on the ground, so you could use 2x4's if
you wanted. (Make the floor joists out of PT lumber, rated for ground
contact, if sitting on the ground.)

For the doors, they don't have to be the same thickness as the framing?
I'd make them out of 2x4's half lapped joints, t-111 skins, or
whatever your siding material is, and let the skins overlap the fame a
bit for stops.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Solar Kiln Michael[_24_] Woodworking 24 September 22nd 14 12:51 PM
Questions on installing interior door with 2X3 framing. Mikepier Home Repair 3 October 6th 09 08:08 PM
Basic framing questions JohnnyC Home Repair 2 June 11th 08 03:21 AM
Solar Kiln efgh Woodworking 2 March 5th 07 06:40 PM
Questions on framing wall near furnace Sean M Home Repair 10 January 19th 06 11:36 PM