Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

Default Questions on framing wall near furnace

I am starting to finish my basement. The first step in this process is
framing a wall to close off the furnace and equipment into a
utility/storage room. I have studied several books and read through
this great group. I hope I can count on some advice from this group as
my project progresses, I will keep the group updated with my progress.

My first question is about the placement of the wall. In order to
maximize the size of my finished basement I want to place the new wall
near the furnace. The problem is all of the ducts. I found a spot to
place the new wall about 5 feet from the furnace but the main hot air
duct from the furnace would run perpendicular and intersect the wall.
I am wondering how people deal with the top plate of the wall in this
kind of situation. Should I slightly lower the furnace duct by around
1 inch to give me clearance to install an un-interrupted top plate? Or
can I just frame around the duct and not use a proper top plate? The
wall is not load bearing but will run perpendicular to the joists.

My next question is about the Ontario Canada building code. Does
anyone know what the minimum distances are for the proximity of a wall
to a furnace?

Many thanks,

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Most installation manuals list a furnace's clearances. Heat on the outside
of ducts is not normally a fire hazard, but heat from a flue pipe can be.
Talk to the guy who normally does your service. I saw a wall that was next
to a flue pipe for 20 years and the wood finally dried out so much that it
caught fire.

"Sean M" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Frame around the duct, its a lot easier. You can just run the top plate
up to the duct, then continue it on the other side. Its being screwed
to the ceiling joists anyway. As far as the clearances for the furnace,
usually the furnace installation instructions have the minimum
clearances around a furnace. But keep in mind what kind of access you
need if you have to service it. You said one of your walls is 5 feet
away, which is plenty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And ... you will need to have adequate ventilation to furnace
enclosure, which local officials can specify to you. They can also tell
you what you need for fire-retardancy of surfaces "visible" to
heat-sources in there- with emphasis on the area above.

Bear in mind that future equipment service may include R&R of major
items. E.g. the furnace. You might be well advised to plan now for any
water that might be released in there- maybe even provide drainage.
DAMHIKT.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

Thanks for the advice,

I have a high efficiency furnace with a fresh air intake vent into the
room (ventillation should be OK). There is also a floor drain near the
furnace for water probelms. I will check my furnace documentatuion for
minimum clearance. I am leaving a large area (more than 8 feet) in
front of the furnace for sevicing and I will install a large door to
this area to permit removal of equiptment some day.

Sounds like it will be sufficient to run the top plate up to the side
of the duct, stud on both sides of it, and continue the top plate after
the duct.

Mikepier, you mention screwing the frame. Is it better to nail or to
screw the wall together?

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

Just make sure whatever enclosure you make leaves enough room to facilitate
repair and eventual replacment of the furnace. Don't build it so small that
they'd have to rip it apart to fix the furnance WHEN it eventually needs
repair! Look really carefully at how everything's attached and think about
what it'd take to replace it. No sense boxing it in so tightly that they
can't get to that ONE set of screws needed to pull it apart...

As for framing, if the wall's being attached at the top to the joists then
you can probably just frame around the ducts. There might be some sense in
moving a few things around but take care you don't negatively impact how the
system operates. As in, don't move, resize or re-route ducts without
knowning how it'll affect the airflow efficiencies and noise. But if the
ducting really runs in a way that's a big waste of space then have an HVAC
tech make suggestions on how to remedy the situation.

-Bill Kearney

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Sean M wrote:

Mikepier, you mention screwing the frame. Is it better to nail or to
screw the wall together?

-Sean

I meant if he is running a top plate, like a 2X4, it will be securely
fastened to the ceiling joists, whether he uses screws or nails. I
thought the OP was concerned about the integrity of the top plate if he
did not run it continuosly across the ceiling joists because of the
duct being in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Mikepier wrote:
Sean M wrote:

Mikepier, you mention screwing the frame. Is it better to nail or to
screw the wall together?

-Sean

I meant if he is running a top plate, like a 2X4, it will be securely
fastened to the ceiling joists, whether he uses screws or nails. I
thought the OP was concerned about the integrity of the top plate if he
did not run it continuosly across the ceiling joists because of the
duct being in the way.

Hi,
Top securely fastened is some times not a good idea. Floating wall or
you have to cut at least 3/4 inch shorter studs. What if the house is
built on soft soil? I wouldn't like buckling walls.
If there is a duct in the way you make U shaped frame to g around the duct.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

screws not only being removeable but holding betterare always superior.
use galavinized ones in basement so they cant rust

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Check under the removable front cover of your furnace. The "name plate" with
the serial number should provide the minimum wall clearances for that
particular unit.

oups.com...