Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Default Questions on framing wall near furnace

Check under the removable front cover of your furnace. The "name plate" with
the serial number should provide the minimum wall clearances for that
particular unit.

"Sean M" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am starting to finish my basement. The first step in this process is
framing a wall to close off the furnace and equipment into a
utility/storage room. I have studied several books and read through
this great group. I hope I can count on some advice from this group as
my project progresses, I will keep the group updated with my progress.

My first question is about the placement of the wall. In order to
maximize the size of my finished basement I want to place the new wall
near the furnace. The problem is all of the ducts. I found a spot to
place the new wall about 5 feet from the furnace but the main hot air
duct from the furnace would run perpendicular and intersect the wall.
I am wondering how people deal with the top plate of the wall in this
kind of situation. Should I slightly lower the furnace duct by around
1 inch to give me clearance to install an un-interrupted top plate? Or
can I just frame around the duct and not use a proper top plate? The
wall is not load bearing but will run perpendicular to the joists.

My next question is about the Ontario Canada building code. Does
anyone know what the minimum distances are for the proximity of a wall
to a furnace?

Many thanks,

-Sean