Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On Topic. How to stretch a board.

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in news:64udnb-6RKNRWsXKnZ2dnUU7-
:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

It's a locking scarph joint. Joints like that were developed
to make keel timbers for wooden ships (think HMS Victory and
the like), so yeah, they are very strong. Some of them were
quite a bit more complex, too.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine (not
that they used one). Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it
apart. Appears to be really strong too.

seems like they were fitting the final peg or at least that is what
i interpreted from watching it

saw a video where the architect wanted vast spans with no need for
load bearing posts in the room

it was in japan and the design included only joinery techniques with
no metal

he designed the joint in cad and it was so complex that it could only
be done by machine

the joints were curved but did something similar to these joints

all the master carpenters agreed that only a machine could provide the
precision required

the room was actually a music hall iirc

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

Looks like it did not fit as well on the left side of the joint. The
right side was beautiful.

--
GW Ross

Prozac, cause sometimes you feel like
a nut, sometimes you don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 05:53:51 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

Looks like it did not fit as well on the left side of the joint. The
right side was beautiful.

The left side "poor fit" was to allow dissassenbly by driving in a
wedge, as clearly shown later in the video.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

Looks like it did not fit as well on the left side of the joint. The
right side was beautiful.

The left side "poor fit" was to allow dissassenbly by driving in a
wedge, as clearly shown later in the video.

Now I see. It is not the surface but the deeper part of the assembly
that has a slot. Thanks.

--
GW Ross

Prozac, cause sometimes you feel like
a nut, sometimes you don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

Made, no doubt, with negative set.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2016 10:48 PM, Bill wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine (not
that they used one). Thanks for sharing!

Bill

WHATTTTT????
That makes no sense Bill

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it
apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y
All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine.
Thanks for sharing!

Bill

WHATTTTT????
That makes no sense Bill

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if
the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2016 4:12 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it
apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y
All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine.
Thanks for sharing!

Bill

WHATTTTT????
That makes no sense Bill

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if
the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?

Probably learned DT's while still in diapers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 21:25:44 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:35:06 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That's the tool you need when you've cut the board twice and it's
still too short.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 5:13:31 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it
apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y
All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine.
Thanks for sharing!

Bill

WHATTTTT????
That makes no sense Bill

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if
the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?

I was confused by your comment also.

What did you mean by "I find it hard to praise something that is
probably best cranked out by a cnc machine."?
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before.
I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it
apart.
Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y
All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.
That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to
praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine.
Thanks for sharing!

Bill

WHATTTTT????
That makes no sense Bill

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if
the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?

I was confused by your comment also.

What did you mean by "I find it hard to praise something that is
probably best cranked out by a cnc machine."?

That I found it more a feat of engineering than a feat of woodworking.
Nothing more...but my comment seems to have offended some. No offense
intended--honest!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Quite the contrary. I have a book on joints(somewhere in the house) ,
many of which I could not make, and it goes back hundreds of years that
these joints have been made.
Many are no longer done, probably because of the skill required, and the
fact that we have other ways of doing things these days (steel bolts and
plates).

Some are quite exotic. The one in the video is simple, yet complex.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I have two, one really old ("Woodworking Joints", by Fairham) and "The
Joint Book" by Terrie Noll. The latter has colored diagrams throughout
and that would be the one I would select if I could only have one of
these two. I see Amazon has some others too.

Bill

many of which I could not make, and it goes back hundreds of years
that these joints have been made.
Many are no longer done, probably because of the skill required, and
the fact that we have other ways of doing things these days (steel
bolts and plates).

Some are quite exotic. The one in the video is simple, yet complex.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I don't find it offensive at all, but i do find it bewildering.

My interpretation: That cabinet you made is nice, but Ikea has cabinets
too. They use CNC machines, well programmed.

We don't need no stinkin traditional skills.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That's kind of where I was at.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Ed Pawlowski (sarcastically, I believe) well-captured much of my
reaction. My soul was not as touched as it might be if I were looking
at a nice piece of furniture. However, I'm sure the builder having the
need for the long beam was very satisfied! I am not really "into"
woodworking for its technological elements--in fact, probably just the
opposite is true. It may sound strange to hear that I think I would
rather go back in time with it--not forward in time with it, if that
makes any sense. So the novel engineering joint struck me thus. YMMV.
I think folks are over-thinking this! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Wait! Am I in the wrong ng?

Isn't this rec.overthink-everything?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski (sarcastically, I believe) well-captured much of my
reaction. My soul was not as touched as it might be if I were looking
at a nice piece of furniture.

That's fair. That joint was not a cabinetry joint, which is
the subject we're mainly concerned with. It was a joint from
the ship-building or timber-framing world. Interesting from
an engineering standpoint, and interesting from a historical
standpoint (as others noted, exceptionally complex joints
were used in ship-building and timber-framing back to the
1300's), but not especially relevant to furniture.

John

Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch Jman[_3_] Metalworking 33 December 2nd 19 03:11 AM
Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 20th 15 07:26 PM
stretch an aerial Gary[_11_] UK diy 1 May 1st 12 04:45 PM
Running out of paint, any way to stretch it? Jason Home Repair 6 June 17th 06 04:34 AM
OT changing a tire on a stretch limo mm Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 05:25 AM