Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

Default Running out of paint, any way to stretch it?

After 2 days of painting my office, this is absolutely driving me
insane!

I had a gallon of paint mixed at Lowes, and figured that a gallon would
be enough to do 3 walls. Well, I didn't think that I would need 3
coats! It's called "Praline Cake," which is a brown/yellow color
(American Traditions, Historic series).

Well, it's all done except for the 3rd coat on the final wall, and a
few minor touch-ups in the corners. I have just enough paint left that
I might be able to fill the roller one more time, but I'm worried that
this won't be enough. What's worse is that if I go back for more, I
have to buy a full gallon ($20+), and there's no guarantee that it will
be a perfect match for the rest of the room.

So... any tips on stretching this last fraction of paint to make it
last for the entire wall?

TIA,

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason wrote:
[...]

You absolutely can not thin paint and have it hold its color in the
amount you will need. If Lowes mixed it then they should be able to
mix more the same color. Paints are usually sold in Gal- Half-Gal,-
Qts and sometimes Pts. Do a bit of checking. Or don't be cheap and buy
the Gallon.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Jason wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I would go ahead and buy more, and file this away for future use. I
think the American Tradition paint is the worst paint I've ever used as
far as coverage goes. My kitchen ended up taking three coats, covering
Navajo White with DreamCake, a pale yellow. I sure didn't think it would
take that much paint. Nothing but Sherwin Williams for me in the future.
It's expensive per gallon, but it's well worth it, and probably cheaper
in the end. Good luck.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
Jason wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Lowes and other chains don't have the best paint, and good paint is
really important for exteriors where the paint has to really stand up
to abuse instead of just looking good.

KW

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

from buffalo ny: you could always paint a variation of the original
color deliberately on the third wall. maybe a third color like a tan?
or mix your leftover paint in with the next gallon of same color and
you will have a uniform color with some leftover touchup paint.
depending on the condition and type of wall and climate etc, as in
buffalo, you should have normally cleaned wall, applied primer first,
then usually 2 color coats will do it. mix 2 x 1 gallons together for
color uniformity before applying. to save cleanup time we use dollar
store brushes and discard at day's end. we always use a BIN or KILLZ
primer appropriate for your task and follow its label directions
carefully. when painting with a brighter worklight you will catch the
goofs easier than under general normal lighting. daytime painting may
be easier if the room features windows.when all else fails buy a giant
bulletin board for the last wall and paint around it!

Jason wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown

Paint the top of the wall, furniture will hide any thin spots near the
bottom usually. I did that in my bedroom and have no regrets, can't notice
once the room was filled back up.

"Jason" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Jason" wrote in message
oups.com...
After 2 days of painting my office, this is absolutely driving me
insane!

I had a gallon of paint mixed at Lowes, and figured that a gallon would
be enough to do 3 walls. Well, I didn't think that I would need 3
coats! It's called "Praline Cake," which is a brown/yellow color
(American Traditions, Historic series).

Well, it's all done except for the 3rd coat on the final wall, and a
few minor touch-ups in the corners. I have just enough paint left that
I might be able to fill the roller one more time, but I'm worried that
this won't be enough. What's worse is that if I go back for more, I
have to buy a full gallon ($20+), and there's no guarantee that it will
be a perfect match for the rest of the room.

So... any tips on stretching this last fraction of paint to make it
last for the entire wall?

I would remove part of the wall to make the room smaller.
You are kidding about this, aren't you?