Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1/8" Chisel

I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the typical length of the 1/8" chisel
going to be a problem trying to cut end grain? 1/8" would seem to be awful
flexible...

I was hoping to spend about $10, but a quick search on Amazon shows only
one chisel for that price, a new Irwin Marples that is leaving many
disappointed.

Alternatively, I have some W1 drill rod and a mill... I guess I could make
one but I've already got enough on my plate...

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2016 9:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the typical length of the 1/8" chisel
going to be a problem trying to cut end grain? 1/8" would seem to be awful
flexible...

I was hoping to spend about $10, but a quick search on Amazon shows only
one chisel for that price, a new Irwin Marples that is leaving many
disappointed.

Alternatively, I have some W1 drill rod and a mill... I guess I could make
one but I've already got enough on my plate...

Puckdropper

If you have a bench grinder, could you make a chisel out of an
appropriate sized screew driver?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 May 2016 13:49:45 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Expensive, but they are out there.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...89&cat=1,41504
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the typical length of the 1/8" chisel
going to be a problem trying to cut end grain? 1/8" would seem to be awful
flexible...

I was hoping to spend about $10,

If you are cutting hard wood, maybe it will let you down. Otherwise,
maybe it's worth $10 to find out, especially if the wood you are cutting
isn't too hard. You know going in that you may have to sharpen it a bit
more often. After all that, I hope you'll share your experience! : )

Bill

but a quick search on Amazon shows only
one chisel for that price, a new Irwin Marples that is leaving many
disappointed.

Alternatively, I have some W1 drill rod and a mill... I guess I could make
one but I've already got enough on my plate...

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-05-12, wrote:

Expensive, but they are out there.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...89&cat=1,41504

Specially when buying one-at-a-time from Lee Valley. Try Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-781-Sweetheart-Socket-Chisel/dp/B004TQGHOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463063078&sr=8-3&keywords=Stanley+Sweetheart+Chisels

.....or....

http://tinyurl.com/haaoahb

That chisel will cost you $46, w/ shipping, from LV. Whatever Amazon
charges fer shipping, the total still hasta be less than $46.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the typical length of the 1/8" chisel
going to be a problem trying to cut end grain? 1/8" would seem to be awful
flexible...

I was hoping to spend about $10, but a quick search on Amazon shows only
one chisel for that price, a new Irwin Marples that is leaving many
disappointed.

Alternatively, I have some W1 drill rod and a mill... I guess I could make
one but I've already got enough on my plate...

Puckdropper

I have, and use, one of these:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1502/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-05-12, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:

I was hoping to spend about $10......

I have, and use, one of these:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1502/

This is closer to yer target expenditure and Narex has a very good
rep. Considered by many to be a "best buy":

http://www.amazon.com/Narex-Woodworking-Cabinetmakers-Chisel-Handle/dp/B00V922QT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463064904&sr=8-2&keywords=chisel+1%2F8

.....0r....

ttp://tinyurl.com/hwmvn33

Still gotta pay shipping, but shouldn't cost more than a few $$.
Definitely cheaper than the other recommended chisel.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

I need an 1/8" chisel to clean up some cuts from a CNC machine, 1/8" in
diameter. I've got mainly Stanley chisels and am reasonably happy with
them, but my smallest is 1/4".

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is the typical length of the 1/8" chisel
going to be a problem trying to cut end grain? 1/8" would seem to be awful
flexible...

When I couldn't find one I bought a relatively flat sweep narrow carving
gouge and reshaped it... a #2 2MM as I recall. This option might provide
alternatives...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-05-12, wrote:

Expensive, but they are out there.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...89&cat=1,41504

Specially when buying one-at-a-time from Lee Valley. Try Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-781-Sweetheart-Socket-Chisel/dp/B004TQGHOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463063078&sr=8-3&keywords=Stanley+Sweetheart+Chisels

....or....

http://tinyurl.com/haaoahb

That chisel will cost you $46, w/ shipping, from LV. Whatever Amazon
charges fer shipping, the total still hasta be less than $46.

nb

$ 32. US plus $ 9. shipping from LV.
the web link above is Canadian $ 38.50
.... still a lot more than the $ 20. + shipping on Amazon.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
:

On 2016-05-12, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:

I was hoping to spend about $10......

I have, and use, one of these:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...Chisel-by-Two-
Cherries/productinfo/500-1502/

http://www.amazon.com/Narex-Woodwork...isel-Handle/dp
/B00V922QT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463064904&sr=8-2&keywords=chisel+1%
2F8

....0r....

ttp://tinyurl.com/hwmvn33

Still gotta pay shipping, but shouldn't cost more than a few $$.
Definitely cheaper than the other recommended chisel.

nb

It's a 3mm chisel, but I think in this case it will work ok. My cuts are
actually 1 thou oversize, to give me a tight "push together" fit. I
might have to bump it up another thou or two for glue space.

As far as shipping goes, I've got Prime so don't have to worry about
that. Speaking of Prime, if you like How It's Made, look up "How Did
They Make That?". It's well worth watching!

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Need a grinder with water/oil to keep the work cool.

Grind your profile and flatten the other end a little,
So when you put it in a vice and compress on a handle,
the round hole accepts the round/flat rod and holds tight.

Before that naturally is tempering... I'd get a 1/4" and cool
grind down the sides myself. Don't kneed to know heat treating.

Martin