Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Surface area of roof

My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 11:30:03 AM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

http://www.calculator.net/roofing-calculator.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:29:40 -0500, swalker wrote:

My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

I bet you wish you paid closer attention in geometry class in high skool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 11:30:03 AM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

I forgot to mention that you need to add in the eaves and other overhangs.
It's not just about the square footage of the building.

http://www.calculator.net/roofing-calculator.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:06:36 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:29:40 -0500, swalker wrote:

My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

I bet you wish you paid closer attention in geometry class in high skool.

Well I did pay attention in class and found geometry to be fun and
made a good grade.

I tried to solve this by using a^2 = (B^2)+(C^2) to find the long
leg. The answer didn't seem right so I am looking to check it.

From the calculator above I made a mistake. Some where.
Thanks for the calculator.

One thing I noted about geometry was that guys good at the pool table
weren't necessarily good at geometry.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 09:10:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 11:30:03 AM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

I forgot to mention that you need to add in the eaves and other overhangs.
It's not just about the square footage of the building.

http://www.calculator.net/roofing-calculator.html

Yeah, I got that figured in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 10:29 AM, swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

That will depend on how the roof is built. One plane sloping from one
side to other other will be less than a hip design. If you have gables
on one or both ends that will change a little too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:29:40 -0500, swalker wrote:

My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

Thanks

Jim

I bet you wish you paid closer attention in geometry class in high skool.

Well I did pay attention in class and found geometry to be fun and
made a good grade.

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the famous
Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right triangle. So if
your horizontal and vertical measurements were actually 12 and 5, the
"hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's something else, just multiply
the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I tried to solve this by using a^2 = (B^2)+(C^2) to find the long
leg. The answer didn't seem right so I am looking to check it.

Your equation should work. Use the numbers above as an example 13^2
(169) = 5^2 (25) + 12^2 (144)

I wonder if you added up the squares of the two legs but forgot to take
the square root of the result.

From the calculator above I made a mistake. Some where.
Thanks for the calculator.

One thing I noted about geometry was that guys good at the pool table
weren't necessarily good at geometry.

Jim

5
Posted to rec.woodworking

swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the famous
Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right triangle. So if
your horizontal and vertical measurements were actually 12 and 5, the
"hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's something else, just multiply
the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else. Nah.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 3:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the famous
Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right triangle. So if
your horizontal and vertical measurements were actually 12 and 5, the
"hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's something else, just multiply
the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else. Nah.

Hey, you remembered your grade, at least.

The most famous Pythagorean Triple is 3-4-5, reportedly used by the
Ancient Egyptians to lay out accurate right-angle corners.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 3:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the famous
Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right triangle. So if
your horizontal and vertical measurements were actually 12 and 5, the
"hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's something else, just multiply
the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else. Nah.

Probably did not forget it, but replaced it with other important
infromation like your social security number and the names of all of you
doctors
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the
famous Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right
triangle. So if your horizontal and vertical measurements were
actually 12 and 5, the "hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's
something else, just multiply the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else.
Nah.

Happens to all of us. I used to be familiar with Calculus, but after
college never calculated a derivative other than to show off. Now I'm
filling the space with more important things... Like how to properly hit
a softball. Let me tell you it's not about swinging your arms. Your
entire body is involved.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 3:17:09 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the famous
Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right triangle. So if
your horizontal and vertical measurements were actually 12 and 5, the
"hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's something else, just multiply
the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else. Nah.

I've forgotten more stuff than most people know. At least I think I
have...I don't really remember.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:
swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

Don't forget that Pythagorus requires a right triangle.

Take the triangle formed by the roof (22.5/22.5/135 degrees),
bisect into two right-triangles, then use trig to calculate
the hypotenuse length, since you know the length of the
adjacent side (1/2 the length of the long side of the
original triangle - the long side is opposite the 135 degree
angle).

cos(90) = adjacent/hypotenuse

hypotenuse = cos(90)/adjacent

area = 2 x (hypotenuse x length of roof).

qed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Apr 2016 20:04:27 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 4/11/2016 2:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

5/12 is a particularly convenient slope actually. It's one of the
famous Pythagorean Triples. Sides of 5, 12 and 13 make a right
triangle. So if your horizontal and vertical measurements were
actually 12 and 5, the "hypotenuse" length would be 13. If it's
something else, just multiply the horizontal measurement by 13/12.

I knew that in high school when I had a 98 average in geometry. Fifty
three years later, not so much. I wonder if I forgot anything else.
Nah.

Happens to all of us. I used to be familiar with Calculus, but after
college never calculated a derivative other than to show off. Now I'm
filling the space with more important things... Like how to properly hit
a softball. Let me tell you it's not about swinging your arms. Your
entire body is involved.

Through all the (4) years of calculus we had to take, the instructors
always said that we'd probably never use the skills again after
graduation but that I should know how to use integration tables.
Unfortunately, they never taught how to use them. I never really
needed them, either but at times it would have been good to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 10:29 AM, swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

Simple ... model it in SketchUp, select the face, and right click the
context menu for "area/selection".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 2:06:39 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

dadiOH, check out these keyboard shortcuts:
http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 11:27:20 AM UTC-5, swalker wrote:

One thing I noted about geometry was that guys good at the pool table
weren't necessarily good at geometry.

Jim

Shooting pool ain't just about geometry. Left spin, right spin, back spin, over the top spin, force of the shot, hard kiss, soft kiss, it all adds up to making the ball go everywhere but in the pocket. Doubt old Pythagoras ever shot a game of pool in his life.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/04/2016 1:06 PM, dadiOH wrote:
swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

Surely the area is bxcx13/12
Graham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 4:33:53 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:
[...]

I think it's less about using the skills you learned in high school and more about
learning, period.

The ability to learn what you need know to accomplish what you are trying to do
Is more important than any given subject matter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hmmmm....

Feeling a little old fashioned here. I do a lot of roofing within my contracting business, and I get on the roof and measure it. If it is a shotgun roof, no need.

But if it has a gable or two that intersect the main roof (which are probably at a different slope) you will pick up the exact measurements you need. This will also allow you to consider large "saddles" or diverters behind chimney,and pick up any considerations for any other structural features.

You can check your skylights, measure valleys for sheet metal, count your pipe jacks and make sure any other sheet metal features and venting (think square vent hood caps) are still serviceable as well as measure for storm caps, etc. Also, the number of valleys (and their sizes) as well as different features will require that a factor is added for the shingles needed to properly roof/seal the valleys. You can also look for damage to the existing surface to make sure that unseen leaks that haven't presented inside the house have not caused decking or structure damage.

Yep... it's on the roof for me.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 2:06:39 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

dadiOH, check out these keyboard shortcuts:
http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html

Thanks, Sonny. I do have the Windows character map, just too lazy to use it
most of the time.

About the only time I use it is if I'm writing to someone in Spanish. The
special characters can make a very big difference there. For example, if I
write...

Espero que tengas un feliz año nuevo

I've said, "I hope you may have a happy new year" but if I write...

Espero que tengas un feliz ano nuevo

I've said, "I hope you may have a happy new anus"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:54:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, that should have been "four semesters".

I think it's less about using the skills you learned in high school and more about
learning, period.

I don't agree. Secondary school should be about learning things that
you will need to become a productive citizen. That includes learning
how to learn but it also includes at least "business" math, some
history and civics. Unfortunately it's now more about indoctrination.

I didn't have any "calculus" in high school, though. We were taught
all of the foundations for it but not the grind. ;-)

The ability to learn what you need know to accomplish what you are trying to do
Is more important than any given subject matter.

The foundations are pretty important. Without arithmetic (and I'll
include at least beginning algebra) you're toast in any technical
field (everything is now). Without learning some sense of history and
civics, we're doomed (they don't and we are - hopefully I won't see it
but I'm not so sure).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/04/2016 2:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:
swalker wrote:
My new shop/garage will be 28'X42' (12' of long side will be a
garage).

The roof slope will be 5/12.

How do I figure the area of the roof?

a2 + b2 = c2 ("2" = squared). Don't forget the overhang.

Don't forget that Pythagorus requires a right triangle.

Take the triangle formed by the roof (22.5/22.5/135 degrees),
bisect into two right-triangles, then use trig to calculate
the hypotenuse length, since you know the length of the
adjacent side (1/2 the length of the long side of the
original triangle - the long side is opposite the 135 degree
angle).

cos(90) = adjacent/hypotenuse

hypotenuse = cos(90)/adjacent

area = 2 x (hypotenuse x length of roof).

qed.

That's unnecessarily complicated. It's a 5/12 roof pitch therefore the
roof area is 13/12 the base area. Simple!
Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:
swalker wrote:
[...]

Explain that in detail again, if you don't mind.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 8:28:40 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 4/12/2016 1:01 AM, wrote:

Yep... it's on the roof for me.

It takes two these days.

Carlos gets on the roof and measures.
Calls the numbers down to me.
I write them down and do the math.

Thought I'd never get to this point ...

I don't get on them anymore unless they are no more than 7/12. I won't get on a metal roof unless it is 5/12 or less without some safety gear. I have alternative ways of measuring a high slope roof from taking detailed photos (standard shingle is 36" wide with a 5" reveal), but can also include having Hector (if needed) measure them for me if it is something nasty. If it is one of those gawdawful Tudor styles with the 12/12 feature roofs on top of high slope hips, I pass.

I slid off a 6.5/12 sheet metal roof about 10 years ago and went all the way to the ground after sliding about 40 feet. I didn't break anything, but thought I was killed. I hit like a bag of wet sand, and stayed in place for about 5 minutes after impact to make sure I was OK. Lesson learned?

Don't bounce like I used to. That falls in line with a lot of other lessons I am learning along the way like the fewer 12 hour days the better, don't eat too much at lunch or I will be sleepy all afternoon, not too much hot sauce when going back out to work on the job followed by keeping a jumbo bottle of antacids in the truck, bring my glasses to the job, stand on a ladder not a paint can, don't overreach from the ladder, make a list for the day's goals so I don't forget things to do, don't stop for a late lunch as I might not go back to work... how things change.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

13/12 works because it is an approximation of the cosine of a 22.5
degree angle (which is the angle for a 5/12 roof). Saves roofers
from requiring trig functions on their calculator.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2016 1:01 AM, wrote:

Yep... it's on the roof for me.

It takes two these days.

Carlos gets on the roof and measures.
Calls the numbers down to me.
I write them down and do the math.

Thought I'd never get to this point ...

I don't get on them anymore unless they are no more than 7/12. I won't get on a metal roof unless it is 5/12 or less without some safety gear. I have alternative ways of measuring a high slope roof from taking detailed photos (standard shingle is 36" wide with a 5" reveal), but can also include having Hector (if needed) measure them for me if it is something nasty. If it is one of those gawdawful Tudor styles with the 12/12 feature roofs on top of high slope hips, I pass.

My previous house had a 15:12 pitch on the main house (12:12 on the
garage). Might just as well be vertical. I was surprised at the high
pitches but found that it was code for the area. No idea why. My
current house is probably at least 12:12 but I've never bothered to
measure.

I slid off a 6.5/12 sheet metal roof about 10 years ago and went all the way to the ground after sliding about 40 feet. I didn't break anything, but thought I was killed. I hit like a bag of wet sand, and stayed in place for about 5 minutes after impact to make sure I was OK. Lesson learned?

Ouch! Sound like you were living right!

Don't bounce like I used to. That falls in line with a lot of other lessons I am learning along the way like the fewer 12 hour days the better, don't eat too much at lunch or I will be sleepy all afternoon, not too much hot sauce when going back out to work on the job followed by keeping a jumbo bottle of antacids in the truck, bring my glasses to the job, stand on a ladder not a paint can, don't overreach from the ladder, make a list for the day's goals so I don't forget things to do, don't stop for a late lunch as I might not go back to work... how things change.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:
swalker wrote:
[...]

The slope length on a 5/12 ratio roof is 13 (5x5 + 12x12 = 13x13). In
other words the roof distance from crest to wall is 13/12 (1.0833) the
size of the floor measurement
So if the floor area of the garage plus overhang is LxW, the roof area
is LxW x 1.0833 for a 5/12 roof pitch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:28:40 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 4/12/2016 1:01 AM, wrote:

Yep... it's on the roof for me.

It takes two these days.

Carlos gets on the roof and measures.
Calls the numbers down to me.
I write them down and do the math.

Thought I'd never get to this point ...

I was watching ATOH a few weeks ago. A (young) chimney guy was putting a cap
on what appeared to be a double chimney, so you know the cap was fairly wide.

It was an older 2 story house with full attic, so he was pretty high above
the street. He had a step ladder leaning up against the peak-side of the
chimney, i.e. the narrow side of the chimney in this picture.

http://chimneyandwildlife.com/wp-con...X-1024x611.jpg

He was not secured by any straps. He lifted the cap over his head and simply
walked up the step ladder, plopping the cap on top of the chimney. One gust
of wind as he was walking up the step ladder and he would have been on the
street.

I almost crapped my pants just watching him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
Without learning some sense of history and civics, we're doomed (they
don't and we are - hopefully I won't see it but I'm not so sure).

Since I posted I pictures last year, I didn't mention it this year, but
I made my 2nd pilgrimage to Colonial Williamsburg a few weeks ago. The
antique furniture in the museum is starting to feel like old friends and
I spent enjoyable time in the cabinetmakers shop. Recommended, if you're
on the eastern side of the country. This time, my wife brought plenty of
apples for some of the horses (the ones that weren't currently working).

But back to history, after my visit above, I became more curious about
the related history prior to the mid 18th century. Wikipedia contained
the following reference which I found interesting (Note: I didn't finish
it yet).

http://www.jstor.org/stable/659023

In a nutshell, it describes some of the dynamics between the new
"settlers" and the indigenous (Indian) population. Wikipedia, of
course, contains a lot of historical facts in bite-size pieces. I owe
credit Williamsburg for fostering my interest (making me a slightly
more-informed individual). I still have a lot of catching up to do, I
suppose. ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 1:34:15 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

Ouch! Sound like you were living right!

Don't I know it! I was pretty sore from it, but I have one guy that I know that broke his back when he fell off a lower eave roof and another that smashed his shoulder to the point if being in a body cast to hold it in place.. Dumb luck, nothing else.

I am wondering if the reason you have such a tremendously high slope roof is because of deed restrictions (trying to maintain some continuity of style in your area) or if you have a lot of snow and ice? Even for snow and ice the requirements are much lower, say 8/12 or so.

We have very little to no snow, rarely any ice on roofs, so unless it is for architectural purposes, we never see those super high slope roofs.

Nasty business, those.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:06:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 1:34:15 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

Ouch! Sound like you were living right!

Don't I know it! I was pretty sore from it, but I have one guy that I know that broke his back when he fell off a lower eave roof and another that smashed his shoulder to the point if being in a body cast to hold it in place. Dumb luck, nothing else.

I am wondering if the reason you have such a tremendously high slope roof is because of deed restrictions (trying to maintain some continuity of style in your area) or if you have a lot of snow and ice? Even for snow and ice the requirements are much lower, say 8/12 or so.

Must be. No snow or ice to worry about in AL or GA. ;-)

I thought it really weird since wind can be a problem (hurricanes). I
never expected to see high pitches in the South but it's the norm.

We have very little to no snow, rarely any ice on roofs, so unless it is for architectural purposes, we never see those super high slope roofs.

Nasty business, those.

Well, they shingle walls, too. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

swalker wrote:

How do I figure the area of the roof?

show what you tried so far

Posted to rec.woodworking

The past few years the roofing contractor I use uses these guys, and
presents their bid based on satellite imagery/Aerial Measurement Technology:

http://www.eagleview.com/Industries/...struction.aspx

http://www.eagleview.com/Portals/0/P...RCover2012.pdf

When I meet them onsite to discuss material, style, etc, they're already
ahead of game, just have to plug in the numbers.