kklaric

Default Math Help: Surface area of an oval?

Dear All,

I need some help calculating the area of an oval.

If I have an oval that is 5" x 7" what is the surface area?

Is it greater than or less than the surface area of a 6.5" circle?
(pi*(6.5/2)^2=33.18")

Thanks,

David.

Wood Butcher

A = Pi * a * b where a & b are the semimajor(half the long) and semiminor(half the
short) axes.

Art

"kklaric" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

I need some help calculating the area of an oval.

If I have an oval that is 5" x 7" what is the surface area?

Is it greater than or less than the surface area of a 6.5" circle?
(pi*(6.5/2)^2=33.18")

Thanks,

David.

Angelo Castellano posting

kklaric

Hello Art,

So my 5"x7" oval is 27 square inches? (pi*(7/2)*(5/2)

Thanks,

David.

xrongor

you didnt say how close it needs to be, but if it needs to be close,
everyone is assuming you have an ellipse and the formula that has been given
is based on that assumption. an ellipse has definition involving foci and
such. it is possible to have an oval shape that is not an ellipse.

for truly irregular shapes, its probably best to use graph paper and just
start counting squares. the closer it needs to be, the smaller the squares
on the graph paper. OR you could get tricky and start dunking the thing in
water and start calculating area based on displacement.

anyway, fair warning about using that formula. or maybe you meant to say
ellipse.

randy

"kklaric" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

I need some help calculating the area of an oval.

If I have an oval that is 5" x 7" what is the surface area?

Is it greater than or less than the surface area of a 6.5" circle?
(pi*(6.5/2)^2=33.18")

Thanks,

David.

Doug Miller

In article . rogers.com, "kklaric" wrote:
Dear All,

I need some help calculating the area of an oval.

If I have an oval that is 5" x 7" what is the surface area?

Do you mean an ellipse (a "stretched" circle, for lack of a better
description), or an oval (a rectangle with the corners rounded off)?

Is it greater than or less than the surface area of a 6.5" circle?
(pi*(6.5/2)^2=33.18")

If you mean an ellipse, the area is pi * (a/2) * (b/2) = pi * 5/2 * 7/2 = 27.5
square inches.

If you mean an oval, the area is between 29.6 and 35 square inches, depending
on the radius of curvature of the corners.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com