Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak Rust?

Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the years,
usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been unable to go back
far enough find the thread where this became a thing. I take it that it's
not a reference to a fungus afflicting oaks, nor the concrete staining
abilities of the oaks' reproductive assets.

Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

Posted to rec.woodworking

ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been
unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a
thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting
oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive
assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates
iron/steel and causes a black stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been
unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a
thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting
oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive
assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates
iron/steel and causes a black stain.

I couldn't find anything close to the thread, Google wasted my time by not
confining my search to Usenet and Usenet archives even though I told it to.
When I went to groups.google.com, all the stuff they were returning was 4-6
years old. :-( Their search seems to be more and more "it contains an A,
so we'll return everthing that has an "A" in it! MOAR RESULTS!"

Anyway, not long ago there was a thread that was going the way most wRECk
threads go... All over the place. Some were talking about cars and someone
mentioned oak rust and its effects were "discovered" and "enhanced" there.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 7:42 AM, ScottWW wrote:

Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way.

Due to the above adjectives required, -MIKE- is the resident expert on
oak rust.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 7:40:41 AM UTC-5, ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the years,
usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been unable to go back
far enough find the thread where this became a thing. I take it that it's
not a reference to a fungus afflicting oaks, nor the concrete staining
abilities of the oaks' reproductive assets.

Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

Let's see if this (search) link works:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.woodworking/oak$20rust

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/16 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/11/2016 7:42 AM, ScottWW wrote:

Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way.

Due to the above adjectives required, -MIKE- is the resident expert on
oak rust.

LOL!

I'm caring for my 90 year-old father-in-law who's staying with us for a
while or I'd jump all over this!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

ScottWW wrote:
[...]

I didn't bother to look. Since he mentioned fasteners I figured he was
talking about their deterioration rather than the oak disease.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 10:12 AM, dadiOH wrote:
ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been
unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a
thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting
oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive
assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates
iron/steel and causes a black stain.

No oakrust here, white oak The lag is actually in better shape in the
wood, compared to the atmosphere.

http://imgur.com/mkRwXBg

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been
unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a
thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting
oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive
assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates
iron/steel and causes a black stain.

No oakrust here, white oak The lag is actually in better shape in the
wood, compared to the atmosphere.

http://imgur.com/mkRwXBg

I was on the binaries when oak rust came about I presume, so I wasn't on
this list.

I always figured it was an inside joke.
it always seemed to be mentioned when something was bs.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 7:40:41 AM UTC-5, ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years,
usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been unable to go
back
far enough find the thread where this became a thing. I take it that
it's
not a reference to a fungus afflicting oaks, nor the concrete staining
abilities of the oaks' reproductive assets.

Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

Let's see if this (search) link works:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.woodworking/oak$20rust

Sonny

Thanks! That's what I needed.
Scott in Dunedin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:42:31 -0400
"ScottWW" wrote:

I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the

like most words there are multiple meanings
in plant context rust is a fungus

there is a lot of info about including real research

what is your application and what is your concern

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:11:15 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

like most words there are multiple meanings
in plant context rust is a fungus

He made slight reference to various meanings. Did you not read his whole post?

there is a lot of info about including real research

About which topic/meaning... relative to what he asked?

what is your application and what is your concern

Words of wisdom, in or out of context, you should consider for yourself. You missed consideration and courtesy, that several have asked for, relative to punctuation in your posts. So, what is your concern, for replying to this and similar threads?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2016 2:55 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:11:15 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

like most words there are multiple meanings
in plant context rust is a fungus

He made slight reference to various meanings. Did you not read his whole post?

there is a lot of info about including real research

About which topic/meaning... relative to what he asked?

what is your application and what is your concern

Words of wisdom, in or out of context, you should consider for yourself. You missed consideration and courtesy, that several have asked for, relative to punctuation in your posts. So, what is your concern, for replying to this and similar threads?

Sonny

Seems trying to be helpful and suggest EC change to be a better
participant in this group falls on deaf ears. He was either spoiled as
a child or has no self respect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
[...]

Given its handle, it is more likely that EC is a crank/troll pushing
the soi disant "electric universe" theory.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Electric_Universe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:40:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Certainly no respect for anyone else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 22:12:23 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 4/15/2016 8:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

ScottWW wrote:
Hello,
I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the
years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been
unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a
thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting
oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive
assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?

Scott in Dunedin

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates
iron/steel and causes a black stain.

No oakrust here, white oak The lag is actually in better shape in the
wood, compared to the atmosphere.

http://imgur.com/mkRwXBg

Did it get wet? If not then why would it rust?

Did what get wet? the part of the lag outside the wood?
I assume it was just humidity.

I presume he was talking about water "rusting" the wood, but it was
Oak, not Ironwood. ;-)

If you are talking in the wood, that's in response to the statement that
tannic acid in oak deteriorates ferrous metal. Not sure it's always true.

That it always rusts ferrous metal? Perhaps there is some condition
where it won't but IME, iron and carbon steel are no-nos in Red Oak. I
wouldn't use Red Oak anywhere there is water (made that mistake) but
that's a somewhat different subject.

Does Rust Breed Rust? DerbyDad03[_2_] Home Repair 21 October 13th 08 09:58 PM
rust gene Home Repair 2 June 7th 06 11:40 PM
Rust CharterNews Woodworking 22 August 3rd 05 08:50 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
OT-Rust Ed Rear UK diy 6 March 2nd 04 09:38 AM