Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band Saw Blade Brands

Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

1/4 6 tpi

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,41036,41037

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

For resawing:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...s705to137.aspx

For everything else:
http://www.woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

for green wood (such as bowl blanks) 3/8 3 tpi.

--
GW Ross

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2016 6:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

I think you are going to find that recommended brands may or may not
work. Try one and if you like it buy it again. Some saws like some
brands better than others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 2:51:37 PM UTC+9, Leon wrote:
On 1/9/2016 6:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

I think you are going to find that recommended brands may or may not
work. Try one and if you like it buy it again. Some saws like some
brands better than others.

Here's another place to try...

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfma...adestotal.aspx

I've been ordering these blades for many years, ad they've always performed very well for resawing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2016 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would
like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in
length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:
On 1/9/2016 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it), and for the same reason, I am
cautious as to how much "hook" you would like in the blade. "None" seems
less likely intuitively (to me) to cause problems, even if some might
make the task easier. Probably you can find published guidelines; maybe
in Bird's, "The Bandsaw Book" which I read a while back.

Bill

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it),

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what a
good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not mean
you should do it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 1:49:03 AM UTC+9, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2016 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it),

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what a
good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not mean
you should do it.

I agree. Those smaller logs, are they green (wet)? If they are, I'd end cap them with glue and toss them in the attic for a couple of years or if they would fit in your microwave, you could dry them much faster.
If they are dry, I'd square them up (2 sides), then slice to my desired thickness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 12:16 PM, aquaboy wrote:
[...]

That's exactly what I did. They are several years old. I sealed them
when I first received them and now ready to do some work with them.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 12:16 PM, aquaboy wrote:
I agree. Those smaller logs, are they green (wet)? If they are, I'd end cap them with glue and toss them in the attic for a couple of years or if they would fit in your microwave, you could dry them much faster.
If they are dry, I'd square them up (2 sides), then slice to my desired thickness.

if you microwaved them you would dry them too fast and harden them.
So no.
attic also too fast without control.

I resaw green wood then sticker it and let it air dry.

If you wait until it is dry it is much harder.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2016 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it),

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what
a good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not
mean you should do it.

I don't doubt you at all. It's just that after resawing, I'd hate to
wish I had used a wider blade. Are you saying it's bad for the saw, or
something else?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/11/2016 12:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't doubt you at all. It's just that after resawing, I'd hate to
wish I had used a wider blade. Are you saying it's bad for the saw, or
something else?

Most 14" saws won't be strong-enough-backed to be able to adequately
tension a 3/4" blade. I don't recall which saw it was you said you
have, but if it's one of the Delta knockoffs rather than an older, solid
Delta, I'd be extremely reluctant to stretch the point.

It'll not resaw any better and will be considerably worse if you can't
properly tension the blade.

I'd also wonder what you've got for power--if you start trying to resaw
seasoned walnut at full throat capacity, you're talking quite a lot of
material and you may find just a typical import "1/2"-hp ain't agonna'
cut it.

The key point I'd ask is what does the manufacturer's operator's guide
say for blade size limit? The old Delta's (890 and the like) would take
a 3/4"; I'm not sure whether they more recent versions are still as
stout or not...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 1:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2016 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it),

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what
a good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not
mean you should do it.

I don't doubt you at all. It's just that after resawing, I'd hate to
wish I had used a wider blade. Are you saying it's bad for the saw, or
something else?

Bill

I have heard the same thing. I recently spoke with the gentleman from
one of the suggested links provided here and he indicated the same thing
about the blade thickness and the size of the wheel. 14" wheel is
pushing it whereas a 16" would be much better. Plus, as was noted, the
overall power can make a difference. Trying to bend thicker metal on a
smaller radius puts great stress on it.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 1:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2016 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and
would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about
13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4"
blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you
bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it),

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what
a good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not
mean you should do it.

I don't doubt you at all. It's just that after resawing, I'd hate to
wish I had used a wider blade. Are you saying it's bad for the saw, or
something else?

Bill

A 14" saw just doesn't have the power, unless its a laguna 2hp or better.

The small saws just can't feed that blade rumor has it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:03:29 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

On 1/9/2016 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would
like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in
length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

http://www.allbandsawblades.com/how_to.htm

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-s...en-wood-blades

Here are a couple links to help you out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2016 10:03 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 1/9/2016 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would
like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in
length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

---

I recommend two.
One I have used, and one I am going to use.
Timberwolf 3 or 4 TPI 1/2 (I have used and is great)
Highland Woodslicer 3 or 4 tpi (want to use)

Not impressed with the Olson blades.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

On 1/9/2016 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would
like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in
length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

I've never seen so many positive reviews about any other vendor on any
of the larger woodworking forums. (sawmillcreek, lumberjocks,
ncwoodworker):

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...il lcreek.org

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...ber jocks.com

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...od worker.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would
like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in
length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

For green wood (resawing logs), I have had good results with the Highland
Woodworking woodturner blade:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx

It has a bit wider kerf than most bandsaw blades, so it doesn't clog or
bind up in green wood the way most blades do. I mostly do resawing with my
bandsaw so I usually use this blade for everything (dry or green).

For a smoother cut in dry wood, the Woodslicer blades are supposed to be
good.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 6:04:47 AM UTC+5:30, SBH wrote:
Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more
use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid?
Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Hello,

I can't get you Exactly but some how i feel You stuck about which brand you use for Riser kit right?I Suggest go through Band Saw Blades Brand i know it's Costly but it is long lasting You don't need to change again and again.after using that you feel it's cheaper then to buy new one again and again.