Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new project

Well I have 4 customers that I am waiting for approval to begin projects
for and it looks like that will happen after the first of the year. In
the mean time I have decided to try to finish off my home office,
something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I want
to add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book cases that
will cover most of the wall and go over the double door entry into the
office. The unit will be approximately 124" tall and 125" wide when
completed. Some of those shelves, well most will be difficult to reach
so I will probably add a rolling library ladder if I can talk myself
into spending the extra $1,000.00 for the ladder hardware. ;~(

Surely I can dream up a less expensive way to accomplish this with out
having to spend $1K on the hardware.

Anyway here is how the office looks now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I'll be moving the desk counter clockwise to the adjacent wall and
eventually the new book cases and desk will face each other.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

No but I wouldn't hesitate to make one. Not one with a fixed rod or track
but just a short flight of steps on locking casters. Like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-ANTIQU...item419a235a50

True, it would take more horizontal room but it could also be uses
elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Just hire a very tall secretary.

--
GW Ross

Ne'er needlessly disturb a thing at rest

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2015 1:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah that would take up a lot of room and my wife has already vetoed the
notion when I mentioned it a few days ago. The rolling ladders can be
moved to other locations also providing the height or mount is about the
same height. The upper mounts/rollers can be either a captured roller
or hook.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2015 2:21 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Or maybe a pair of those long grabbers you use to pick things up off the
floor when you drop something. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:51:38 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like this?

Lower the ceiling? Drywall stilts.... on roller skates?

Does it have to roll? Will you climb often enough to warrant a rolling ladder?

I checked Craigslist to see it there's a roller mechanisms and/or rolling ladder available. None, but found this....

This kind of ladder hardware doesn't look too complicated (or expensive), but it doesn't look like the top has a roller mechanism (seems it might be a sliding mechanism). The bottom of the ladder has no wheels, that I can see. https://houston.craigslist.org/fud/5174876114.html

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,

Surely I can dream up a less expensive way to accomplish this with out
having to spend $1K on the hardware.

Rockler has library ladder kits.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2015 5:08 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:51:38 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like this?

Lower the ceiling? Drywall stilts.... on roller skates?

No, ;~) No, ;~)

Does it have to roll?

No and I am trying to convince another person this is not a necessary
feature. I'm steering towards the manual lighter ladder like in your
referenced picture.

Will you climb often enough to warrant a rolling ladder?

No. It's the cool factor I have to over come. ;~)

I checked Craigslist to see it there's a roller mechanisms and/or rolling ladder available. None, but found this....

This kind of ladder hardware doesn't look too complicated (or expensive), but it doesn't look like the top has a roller mechanism (seems it might be a sliding mechanism). The bottom of the ladder has no wheels, that I can see. https://houston.craigslist.org/fud/5174876114.html

Sonny

Actually Rockler has a good set up on their web site to choose the
hardware and get pricing. And so far they are the least expensive on
what looks to be the same hardware as most anywhere else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2015 6:42 PM, Dan Kozar wrote:
In article ,

Surely I can dream up a less expensive way to accomplish this with out
having to spend $1K on the hardware.

Rockler has library ladder kits.

Yup I have been looking at those. And totaled out about $1049.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
Well I have 4 customers that I am waiting for approval to begin projects
for and it looks like that will happen after the first of the year. In
the mean time I have decided to try to finish off my home office,
something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I want to
add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book cases that will
cover most of the wall and go over the double door entry into the office.
The unit will be approximately 124" tall and 125" wide when completed.
Some of those shelves, well most will be difficult to reach so I will
probably add a rolling library ladder if I can talk myself into spending
the extra $1,000.00 for the ladder hardware. ;~(

Surely I can dream up a less expensive way to accomplish this with out
having to spend $1K on the hardware.

Have you considered one of those small trampolines? A rebounder? They are
good exercise and can be easily moved out of the way when you don't need it.
And if you "miss" putting something on or of the shelf, you just keep
bouncing till you get it right! Sort of a metaphor for all successful
actions in life. And you get some exercise too! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Perhaps there is an application for a ladder/stair I know as Jefferson
Stairs, basically incorporating sort of alternating steps that allow a
steeper angle of assent and requiring a significantly smaller footprint.
The set pictured [See: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking] is for access to
the sleeping loft in a tiny cabin [16 X 24]. They are an obstacle of sorts
for those middle-of-the-night bathroom forays but that won't affect your
application.
Or, maybe not.

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:19:34 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

[...]

....and paint the walls red, just in case. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I
want to add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book

file cabinets are useful but i find i have less and less i need to file
i notice on craigslist that there are lots of free file cabinets and
entertainment centers

book cases are good but what is wrong with some empty space

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

since i am posting so late on this it seems you are leaning toward
buying the ladder hardware

safety is a concern and i would want the right hardware to keep the
ladder on its rail

making the ladder could be a fun and different project
something unique that stands out

i would scour the internet looking at different study/library ladders
to find inspiration

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Hummm, Thanks for that, I will give that some serious consideration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 12:14 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I
want to add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book

file cabinets are useful but i find i have less and less i need to file
i notice on craigslist that there are lots of free file cabinets and
entertainment centers

We use a 5 drawer SteelCase legal file cabinet now and find it
indispensable. That's why we I designed 6 total drawers.

book cases are good but what is wrong with some empty space

It keeps things off of the floor I actually do have a file cabinet and
a book case in the current office but not shown in the drawing. I left
them out as I did intend for them to show or remain in the office.

As a side note, the new cabinets will be on the entry wall and virtually
unseen from outside the office. You will have to come inside the office
and turn around or leave the office to see them. I think this will help
to keep the office from possible appearing crowded.

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

since i am posting so late on this it seems you are leaning toward
buying the ladder hardware

I'm still on the fence. Making the ladder mobile simply increases the
cool factor. A regular lean ladder and bar wooden bar to rest on would
be about $1000 less expensive.

safety is a concern and i would want the right hardware to keep the
ladder on its rail

Most all have some type of capturing rollers or hook to slide along the
rail. It will not fall.

making the ladder could be a fun and different project
something unique that stands out

And that there is the rub.

i would scour the internet looking at different study/library ladders
to find inspiration

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few manufacturers
of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far Rockler has about
the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you can I buy my own wood
for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from multiple suppliers charge up
to $450 extra just for the wood for the ladder, depending on the type of
wood. Red Oak is typically the standard wood that is either included in
the expensive wheel kits of $150 extra on others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I
want to add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book

file cabinets are useful but i find i have less and less i need to file
i notice on craigslist that there are lots of free file cabinets and
entertainment centers

Note that Leon specified 'lateral file cabinets', which are much
more rare on CL. They're also more useful and fit better into
a wall full of shelving.

i would scour the internet looking at different study/library ladders
to find inspiration

Hardware for library ladders is available from several suppliers
along with plans if necessary.

http://www.vandykes.com/rolling-library-ladder/c/1647/
http://www.cshardware.com/rolling-library-ladder
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-vinta...re-satin-black
http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/categ...rdware/1053164
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few manufacturers
of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far Rockler has about
the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you can I buy my own wood
for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from multiple suppliers charge up
to $450 extra just for the wood for the ladder, depending on the type of
wood. Red Oak is typically the standard wood that is either included in
the expensive wheel kits of $150 extra on others.

I found a used rolling ladder (oak, scratched & stained) at a garage
sale for $20 and re-used the hardware with some Cherry stock I had for my vaulted
ceiling library.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:29:41 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

We use a 5 drawer SteelCase legal file cabinet now and find it
indispensable. That's why we I designed 6 total drawers.

sounds like you are replacing the steelcase with a built in

It keeps things off of the floor I actually do have a file cabinet
and a book case in the current office but not shown in the drawing.

I left them out as I did intend for them to show or remain in the
office.

As a side note, the new cabinets will be on the entry wall and
virtually unseen from outside the office. You will have to come
inside the office and turn around or leave the office to see them. I
think this will help to keep the office from possible appearing
crowded.

sounds aesthetically pleasing

And that there is the rub.

with or without hardware you are going to be making the ladder right
or are you buying the whole thing ladder + hardware

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few
manufacturers of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far
Rockler has about the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you
can I buy my own wood for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from
multiple suppliers charge up to $450 extra just for the wood for the
ladder, depending on the type of wood. Red Oak is typically the
standard wood that is either included in the expensive wheel kits of
$150 extra on others.

i really meant looking for inspiration for the ladder not the hardware

1) will the legs be splayed and become narrow toward the top

2) how will you implement the rungs

3) steps or bars

4) or steps on the lower portion and bars near the top

5) will the steps be mounted with brackets

6) will the bars go all the way through the rails

7) with the rail ends be flush or have an ornamental wood cap

8) or maybe metal caps

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 1:28 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Electric Comet writes:
[...]

Thank you Scott, I have looked at half of those listed above. Vandykes
looked good until I realized that the ladder support bar and supports
are extra. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 1:30 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few manufacturers
of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far Rockler has about
the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you can I buy my own wood
for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from multiple suppliers charge up
to $450 extra just for the wood for the ladder, depending on the type of
wood. Red Oak is typically the standard wood that is either included in
the expensive wheel kits of $150 extra on others.

I found a used rolling ladder (oak, scratched & stained) at a garage
sale for $20 and re-used the hardware with some Cherry stock I had for my vaulted
ceiling library.

Do you have a picture of your Library?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 3:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:29:41 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

We use a 5 drawer SteelCase legal file cabinet now and find it
indispensable. That's why we I designed 6 total drawers.

sounds like you are replacing the steelcase with a built in

Yes two, 3 drawer units, made out of real wood. ;~) The 5 drawer steel
case cabinet is.... steel....with a lovely fake walnut paint job.
Almost as nice as genuine Naugahyde.

It keeps things off of the floor I actually do have a file cabinet
and a book case in the current office but not shown in the drawing.

I left them out as I did intend for them to show or remain in the
office.

As a side note, the new cabinets will be on the entry wall and
virtually unseen from outside the office. You will have to come
inside the office and turn around or leave the office to see them. I
think this will help to keep the office from possible appearing
crowded.

sounds aesthetically pleasing

Did you see the drawing? ;~)

And that there is the rub.

with or without hardware you are going to be making the ladder right
or are you buying the whole thing ladder + hardware

I'll build the ladder with my own wood. And it is starting to look more
like a ladder that is placed rather than rolled into place. Sooooo much
more inexpensive.

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few
manufacturers of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far
Rockler has about the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you
can I buy my own wood for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from
multiple suppliers charge up to $450 extra just for the wood for the
ladder, depending on the type of wood. Red Oak is typically the
standard wood that is either included in the expensive wheel kits of
$150 extra on others.

i really meant looking for inspiration for the ladder not the hardware

1) will the legs be splayed and become narrow toward the top

Not with a rolling ladder, those are approximately 16" wide/narrow and
then wheels fit on the outside bottom about 8" each. With that in mind
the ladder assembly is wider at the bottom.

2) how will you implement the rungs

Set into dado's and reinforced with a threaded rod/bracket to keep the
sides of the ladder from spreading apart.

3) steps or bars

Steps, something relatively comfortable to stand on rather than simply
climb up.

4) or steps on the lower portion and bars near the top

Typically steps all the way except for a spindle as the last at the top.

5) will the steps be mounted with brackets

That will depend on the kit.

6) will the bars go all the way through the rails

Probably not unless yu are speaking on the reinforcement.
No detail on any of this yet.

7) with the rail ends be flush or have an ornamental wood cap

Most are bare ended.

8) or maybe metal caps

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 10/12/2015 3:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:29:41 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

We use a 5 drawer SteelCase legal file cabinet now and find it
indispensable. That's why we I designed 6 total drawers.

sounds like you are replacing the steelcase with a built in

Yes two, 3 drawer units, made out of real wood. ;~) The 5 drawer
steel case cabinet is.... steel....with a lovely fake walnut paint
job. Almost as nice as genuine Naugahyde.

Ahhhh - you just can't beat that genuine Naugahyde.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

the construction is very nice has a nautical look to it

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...ontal-position

or you could go the rustic route and use some small timbers for the ladder
rails

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:

Thank you Scott, I have looked at half of those listed above. Vandykes
looked good until I realized that the ladder support bar and supports
are extra. ;~)

The nice thing about the setups, is that the ladder can be pushed up
against the wall or shelves perpendicular to the floor. Then pulled out
to support you.

While expensive, it's actually space saving. The double wheel option
appears safer than the loop over that Rockler sells. And has the
advantage of supporting the ladder while 90 degrees.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 10/12/2015 1:30 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few manufacturers
of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far Rockler has about
the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you can I buy my own wood
for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from multiple suppliers charge up
to $450 extra just for the wood for the ladder, depending on the type of
wood. Red Oak is typically the standard wood that is either included in
the expensive wheel kits of $150 extra on others.

I found a used rolling ladder (oak, scratched & stained) at a garage
sale for $20 and re-used the hardware with some Cherry stock I had for my vaulted
ceiling library.

Do you have a picture of your Library?

Not yet, I just rebuilt the ladder last spring, but real-life
intruded on finishing the library remodel :-(.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2015 7:30 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

the construction is very nice has a nautical look to it

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...ontal-position

or you could go the rustic route and use some small timbers for the ladder
rails

Nice looking but probably nit practical. The ladder needs to be
relatively close so that you can reach the book case on the lower
shelves too.

Since it is unlikely that any step past the third from the floor will be
used to stand on, we will only need to be able to reach to 10' I will
more likely go with something like this but taller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Since it is unlikely that any step past the third from the floor will be
used to stand on, we will only need to be able to reach to 10' I will
more likely go with something like this but taller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Unless you hug the cabinets you will be losing a lot of space in the room dedicated to a ladder you will probably not use often. What kind of floor do you have in that room?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2015 11:22 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Since it is unlikely that any step past the third from the floor will be
used to stand on, we will only need to be able to reach to 10' I will
more likely go with something like this but taller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Unless you hug the cabinets you will be losing a lot of space in the room dedicated to a ladder you will probably not use often. What kind of floor do you have in that room?

Robert

I intend for the ladder to be out far from the cabinets. Most likely it
will be out of the way when not being used. I suspect that I will
remove the ladder and place it on the side of one of the cabinets.

Ceramic tile floors on the entire down stairs section of our house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I intend for the ladder to be out far from the cabinets. Most likely it
will be out of the way when not being used. I suspect that I will
remove the ladder and place it on the side of one of the cabinets.

Ceramic tile floors on the entire down stairs section of our house.

Seems like you have already come up the best solution. Thinking that it will probably not be used often and then the fact that you won't be going too high, I was thinking of some kind of rolling affair, but when looking at your Sketchup rendition and knowing you have ceramic floors, a simply movable ladder would be the best and easiest solution. $1000 is a lot to spend for something that might be used just a few times a year.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 12:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/14/2015 11:45 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/14/2015 9:49 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I intend for the ladder to be out far from the cabinets. Most
likely it will be out of the way when not being used. I suspect
that I will remove the ladder and place it on the side of one of
the cabinets.

Ceramic tile floors on the entire down stairs section of our
house.

Seems like you have already come up the best solution. Thinking that
it will probably not be used often and then the fact that you won't
be going too high, I was thinking of some kind of rolling affair, but
when looking at your Sketchup rendition and knowing you have ceramic
floors, a simply movable ladder would be the best and easiest
solution. $1000 is a lot to spend for something that might be used
just a few times a year.

Robert

The rolling ladder was considered for the wow factor should we ever sell
our house and leave the unit here.
$1000 is a really big amount for a wow factor. Yes I like expensive
Festool tools but they pay for themselves. ;~)

Don't get stuck with old technology. I've seen used forklift truck as
low as $500. With a man cage on the forks it would give a great wow
factor. Reduces the risk of a fall from the ladder too.

IIRC those require two people, one to take the ride, one to operate. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

on a theme similar to the fork lift idea

https://youtube.com/embed/rBmnQN78aZU

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 5:11 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like
this?

on a theme similar to the fork lift idea

https://youtube.com/embed/rBmnQN78aZU

There you go! May be I 'll just build a 12' long cat walk, 3' above the
floor. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:
snip

Don't get stuck with old technology. I've seen used forklift truck as
low as $500. With a man cage on the forks it would give a great wow
factor. Reduces the risk of a fall from the ladder too.

IIRC those require two people, one to take the ride, one to operate. ;~)

That's what your wife is for...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 10/14/2015 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:
snip

Don't get stuck with old technology. I've seen used forklift truck
as low as $500. With a man cage on the forks it would give a great
wow factor. Reduces the risk of a fall from the ladder too.

IIRC those require two people, one to take the ride, one to operate.
;~)

That's what your wife is for...

Wives would make good operators. A good operator knows how to jerk the
levers while you're up in the air...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:28:18 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

There you go! May be I 'll just build a 12' long cat walk, 3' above
the floor. LOL

How about placing a rod similar to the ladder tread idea across the front
of each shelf. Concealed of course under the shelf front.
Permanent ladder. Dual-purpose shelf/ladder.