Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Son's BBQ Pit Project

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:11:22 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:55:28 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:
My middle son Ben did his 2nd project with the Millermatic 180 I got
him. He's going to Texas State U. so doesn't have income at this
point. He wanted a bbq pit of his own, with capability to drag to
wherever. He found an old 150 gal. propane tank and a boat trailer
on craigslist, plus used up some of my materials store.

I had to buy a minimum amount of steel for this thing. My only help
on this thing was to consult on design when he wanted, plus funding,
of course.

He's cooking some chicken and ribs on there right now.

Pete Keillor

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_01.jpg cut up tank
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_06.jpg "
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_08.jpg firebox attached
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_09.jpg on trailer
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_11.jpg 1st doors (our house)
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_13.jpg firebox damper
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_15.jpg almost ready
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_18.jpg Ben w pit
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/BBQ_20.jpg cooking

Looks good. Does it have a damper on the stack? They come in handy some
days.
He may also want a second temp gauge on the other end. Makes it easier
to keep the internal temp even.

Only other item would be either a stainless or copper top for the
sideboard. Wood has a VERY nasty habit of getting coated with raw meat
juices and causing problems.

Oh and one addition to the front would be a place to attach a beach
umbrella, Those can make cooking in hot sun or light rain MUCH nicer.

Yep, it has a damper. Good suggestions, I'll pass them along. Thanks.

Pete

We have one similar to that. After an oops moment followed by fire
being somewhere we didn't intend (dry grass under the BBQ) we
installed a catch pan under it and an attachment bracket for a good
fire extinguisher and a shovel.

Atta boys to your son, nice job!

Newb