Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chisel and plane iron honing

What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane irons?
Posted to rec.woodworking

hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane irons?

I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already sharpened,
then your decision is basically already made for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?

Personally, for chisels, 25 degrees then 30 degrees for a micro-bevel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 07:41:08 -0700 (PDT), hairdad wrote:

What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane irons?

chisels: http://www.fine-tools.com/veritas-chisels.html

plane irons: http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping...s.aspx?p=56081

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:52:30 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 07:41:08 -0700 (PDT), hairdad wrote:

What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane irons?

What kind of chisel(s) are you wanting to sharpen? There are different recommendations for different chisels. I suppose you are referring to bench chisels.

chisels: http://www.fine-tools.com/veritas-chisels.html

+1
This is a good site. The initial opening page article speaks of bench chisels. The tabs on the right side of the page reference other kinds of chisels. The beveled edge on my paring chisels are different than on my bench chisels, and they should be different.

*On the opening page of the link, the pic shows the use of a bench chisel, for (I suppose) fine trimming of a dovetail. I would use a paring chisel for that job and other similar precision/fine cuttings. Other examples, mortises: a mortise chisel for the bulk, then a paring chisel to clean up, fine tune, the edges; Dutchmans: a bench and/or mortise chisel for the bulk of the slot, then a paring chisel for fine tuning the edges. *Do not use a mallet on a paring chisel. A paring chisel should be sharp enough to use hand pressure, only.

plane irons: http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping...s.aspx?p=56081

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2015 11:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?

Personally, for chisels, 25 degrees then 30 degrees for a micro-bevel.

Agreed. That's pretty basic.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?

I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already sharpened,
then your decision is basically already made for you.

I would. Why would you not?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?

I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already sharpened,
then your decision is basically already made for you.

I would. Why would you not?

I bought a (cheap) guide but never used it, preferring to develop my
sense of "feel".
So far, so good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?
I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already
sharpened, then your decision is basically already made for you.

I would. Why would you not?

I bought a (cheap) guide but never used it, preferring to develop my
sense of "feel".
So far, so good.

That's not a horrible approach by any means. Many of us have developed that
"sense" for the edge of what we are sharpening, so it clearly does work.
Not to say that the guide will not work for those who just don't develop
that feel.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?
I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already
sharpened, then your decision is basically already made for you.
I would. Why would you not?

I bought a (cheap) guide but never used it, preferring to develop my
sense of "feel".
So far, so good.

That's not a horrible approach by any means. Many of us have developed that
"sense" for the edge of what we are sharpening, so it clearly does work.
Not to say that the guide will not work for those who just don't develop
that feel.

Yes, they should just be made aware that they don't have to be dependent
on the guide. Putting on a new primary bevel may be something else
altogether.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2015 3:56 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?
I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already
sharpened, then your decision is basically already made for you.
I would. Why would you not?

I bought a (cheap) guide but never used it, preferring to develop my
sense of "feel".
So far, so good.

That's not a horrible approach by any means. Many of us have developed that
"sense" for the edge of what we are sharpening, so it clearly does work.
Not to say that the guide will not work for those who just don't develop
that feel.

I freehand most of the time. But a guide is necessary when I have to
remove a knick. At that point it's sometimes too much to free hand. The
guide provides a way of quickly reforming the new bevel.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in news:mtsbld01177
@news6.newsguy.com:

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane
irons?
I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already sharpened,
then your decision is basically already made for you.

I would. Why would you not?

I bought a (cheap) guide but never used it, preferring to develop my
sense of "feel".
So far, so good.

If you ever want to sharpen a skewed blade, you'll be glad you
developed that sense.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

If it was hollow ground it would be easy to freehand because you only have two contact points. I tried free handing it, all I accomplished was to round d it off. I k own practice. 😊
Posted to rec.woodworking

hairdad wrote:
If it was hollow ground it would be easy to freehand because you only have two contact points. I tried free handing it, all I accomplished was to round d it off. I k own practice. 😊

I would say knowledge and practice, in that order. Sharpening isn't
"rocket science", but one can't take too much for granted. Better luck
on your next tool! To me it is remarkable how easy it is for my mind to
"drift" while sharpening. I think paying attention is the hardest part.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

To me it is remarkable how easy it is for my
mind to "drift" while sharpening. I think paying attention is the
hardest part.

Ohhhhhh Bill... Just wait - it gets worse as you get older...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2015 11:50 AM, Bill wrote:
hairdad wrote:
If it was hollow ground it would be easy to freehand because you
only have two contact points. I tried free handing it, all I
accomplished was to round d it off. I k own practice. 😊

I would say knowledge and practice, in that order. Sharpening isn't
"rocket science", but one can't take too much for granted. Better luck
on your next tool! To me it is remarkable how easy it is for my mind to
"drift" while sharpening. I think paying attention is the hardest part.

Yea, that figures. :-0

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

I would say knowledge and practice, in that order. Sharpening isn't
"rocket science", but one can't take too much for granted. Better
luck on your next tool! To me it is remarkable how easy it is for my
mind to "drift" while sharpening. I think paying attention is the
hardest part.

Yeah, that's getting the "feel" that you mentioned earlier.
If you have that, you can sort of run on autopilot, your
body automatically maintaining the right position.

There are days when it works like that for me, at least
for a while. And then there are days when it seems like
nothing I do will keep the blade at the intended angle.

John